EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the original full-length two-row console in the concept car. - never made it to production.
http://www.netcarshow.com/buick/2006-enclave_concept/ Note the dual analog clocks!

I've seen two depictions of the production console: in the "VAST" 2-page photo in the 2008 catalog, and in a 2006 MotorTrend preview article at http://forums.motortrend.com/70/1044313/the-general-forum/buick-enclave-debutsintactand-gorgeous/.
The overhead shot in the catalog flattens out (and flatters, IMHO) the 2nd row console, making it look like the front console; but the MotorTrend side-shot reveals a rather stubby tower with cup-holders at the base.

Also, since one purpose of the console is to fill the hole between the seats when they are folded for cargo, we need a shot of that. Does the backside of the console become part of the cargo floor? Does the console need to be empty before it is folded?

Last time I checked, it can be "built" at the Arcadia site ($250), but not at the Enclave site. Anyone who sees the real thing on any lambda, or even finds photos of a bona-fide production console, please post here!

·
Registered
46 Posts
This 2nd row console seems to be a hot topic with quite a few of us. I know I'm interested in seeing it in person! Those cup holders would be hard to access for my 2 children. Would the shoulder belt lock if you bent that far down to reach your cup??

I was interested in the center console so my kids had a place to store the DVD equipment (headphones, DVDs...). But this picture make me wonder if it's even worth it.

I agree, PrairieWind. Real Life Pictures, please!!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There were already two floor-level cup-holders in the CXL I saw - they pulled out from the bottom rear of the front console. So redundant floor-level holders would seem to be a strange design choice.

·
Registered
612 Posts
PrairieWind said:
Also, since one purpose of the console is to fill the hole between the seats when they are folded for cargo, we need a shot of that. Does the backside of the console become part of the cargo floor?
Here's a thousand words..

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, gbshuler! Looks like the shallow half opens from the rear, and swings forward - nothing in the top level has to be "emptied" first, just rolls around inside?

Now, is this a shot of a production vehicle? Did/could you order one for your CXL?

·
Registered
612 Posts
PrairieWind said:
Thanks, gbshuler! Looks like the shallow half opens from the rear, and swings forward - nothing in the top level has to be "emptied" first, just rolls around inside?

Now, is this a shot of a production vehicle? Did/could you order one for your CXL?
You made me dig a bit.. No idea if a producton model.

I got it from about.com's Enclave gallery. I snapped up all their great photos and made a screen saver for myself..

http://suvs.about.com/od/buic1/ig/2008-Buick-Enclave/Enclave-Cargo.htm

The photo caption by the way..

A flat floor all the way to the front seats is a plus. Even the second-row storage console between the bucket seats (late availability) can be made flat for cargo.[/color]

·
Registered
612 Posts
PrairieWind said:
nothing in the top level has to be "emptied" first, just rolls around inside?

1. I don't think it rolls around (the 2008 Toyota Highlander has a removable rolling console that tucks under the front row) based on rumors on this forum. This is based on the rumor that the console will include a power point (cigarette lighter socket) in the back for the third row. Electric wires make it non-rollable/removable..

2. I ordered an Enclave today and asked my dealer to order the second row console. He said they would enter the order into the computer tonight or tomorrow. They said they would try to add it, but had yet been able to order one.. Don't hold your breath.

We have 2 and 4 year old. We are going back and forth whether to get it. My wife asks all your same questions.. It looks like when folded down you could sit in the seats and use it as a tray.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think what he means is that if stuff goes into the very top compartment of the console, and the whole top flips forward to make the cargo level flat, he's wants to know if the stuff still in the top compartment will keep rolling around inside flipped over. Right?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
that is the production version and those pics are on motortrends website or somewhere else, they have been out for a while...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: 2nd row console: concept vs reality (Hey, Butterscotch!)

jonv112 said:
I think what he means is that if stuff goes into the very top compartment of the console, and the whole top flips forward to make the cargo level flat, he's wants to know if the stuff still in the top compartment will keep rolling around inside flipped over. Right?
Right. In normal (seating) position, you open the top from the forward side and insert small stuff in shallow compartment. You can also put bigger "stuff" in a lower compartment, and close the top to make armrests.
When you switch to "fold down" mode, you open the top half from the rear side and flip it forward. Anything you had put in the shallow compartment will fall to the "top" of the console. The larger bottom compartment is undisturbed, and even has a cover of some sort. In this configuration, its like an opened suitcase. Is the front half adequately supported by the cupholder base, or does it just hang there? (The original concept version provided a full-length cradle - see first post in this thread). Can the production version take the weight of whatever stuff is loaded on the "floor"? I can see that it might wobble or jiggle, causing noise problems for the Enclave.

At least, that's what I think, based on the photos. Butterscotch has seen one in Detroit (http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=893.0), and might be able to confirm this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my owner's manual, pages 2-56 and 2-57 there are pics of the 2nd row center console and info on access it's storage areas.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wasabi said:
In my owner's manual, pages 2-56 and 2-57 there are pics of the 2nd row center console and info on ... it's storage areas.
Thanks, Wasabi! If salespeople spent more time reading manuals they might sell more cars - or at least be able to answer customer questions. Next time I see an Enclave on the lot, I'll ask to see its manual.

As far as I know, there is no publicly available online manual, so: Do the speculations here correspond with your manual? Primarily, does it feature a "double hinged" cover that permits access to the contents with one hinge, and folds over for storage with the other - without "spilling" the contents, and providing a level, covered surface for cargo?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts