1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new record in my Traverse.
32 MPG.

I hit 126,000 halfway through the trip.

Drove from Los Angeles to Gaviota, CA. (Near Santa Barbara).
Only I was on board.

I stayed 55-60.
Staying on the right-

32 MPG achieved after 140 miles of driving.

4.3 gal used to travel 140 miles.

On the return trip, I stopped and had breakfast. Stopped at a gas station to clean the windshield. Stopped at the scenic view stop.
then hit heavy traffic in Woodland Hills.

Once back in my neighborhood I headed to the same gas station/same pump and refueled.
295.1 miles round trip.

30.8 MPG round trip.

9.5 gal for the roundtrip.

580 mile RANGE with a full tank

9.48 gal pumped
$2.97 per gallon.
$28.27 total.

This comes out to 31.1 Hand Calc Round trip.

Very light traffic early in the morning along the California Coast.
That red semi was ahead of me for some time..... no problem staying at 55-60.

The West Coast. Scenic Overlook.

Another thing- Due to the recent record rain....
I had not seen this in in many may years. Ive taken many road trips up the California Coast and had only seen brown for years.

looks like green--- but theres lots of yellow flowers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
GREAT REPORT RBARRIOS!!!! Interesting stuff - great pictures - job well done!!!

On my 2008 Enclave (130,000 miles on the tach.) at 70 mph - I can get 26 mpg avg, and around town about 22 mpg. - with no stop and go type environment. Not bad to a 5,000 pound vehicle. Your Traverse is direct injected I believe - so mileage should be better. Not sure how much however.

Also see you paid $2.97 per gallon for gas --- here in Raleigh NC - at Costco, price is $2.19 per gallon FYI.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah- I find it weird when traveling along in other states-- to see trucks/SUVs towing something big--- and they fly by you.... and youre doing 85...

·
Registered
437 Posts
I limit myself to 65-67 when towing the boat. It's rock solid stable at 75 but you can actually watch the gas gauge dropping at that speed. It starts approaching gallons per mile instead of miles per gallon. :p

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just curious if you are using cruise control while getting that kind of mileage?

My last trip in March I got in the low 20's for mileage and I thought I was doing well. Then again with the speed limit in Utah being at 80 mph, and the mountain grades, I can't complain too much.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No Cruise.

Cruise control tends to use more fuel (in my opinion)... especially on hills.
You tell it 75... and it will do its best to stay at 75...... even downshifting and revving high to maintain that speed.

I use L6 on long hills.
The engine/trans performs differently in L6 vs D on long hills.
I have found that L6- the vehicle will simply coast down the hill-
While in D- you can feel the vehicle is not freely coasting.

Automatic Engine Grade
Braking
Automatic Engine Grade Braking
assists when driving on a downhill
grade. It maintains vehicle speed by
automatically implementing a shift
schedule that uses the engine and
the transmission to slow the vehicle.
The system will automatically
command downshifts to reduce
vehicle speed, until the brake pedal
is no longer being pressed.
While in the Electronic Range
Select (ERS) mode, grade braking
is deactivated, allowing the driver to
select a range and limiting the
highest gear available. Grade
braking is available for normal
driving and in Tow/Haul mode.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This past February, i put 4000 miles up and down the east coast. Pa to Florida and back with many stops along the way. Avg 24 to 25 a gallon at 80 miles a hour with the cruise. In a six hour span i would knock 45 min. off the time the nav would give me when we started out. i will take that all day. i get 30 out of my corvette on the high at 70. To get 32 you must have had some long down hill coasting with that traverse.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
437 Posts
rbarrios said:
No Cruise.

Cruise control tends to use more fuel (in my opinion)... especially on hills.
You tell it 75... and it will do its best to stay at 75...... even downshifting and revving high to maintain that speed.
So what are you doing instead? You said you were only going 60ish so are you coasting down to like 50 to get up a hill just to save a few bucks in gas?

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From years of running/cross country/races... On hills, I lean forward to allow gravity to help speed me up... if theres a hill right after- great- Ive picked up speed to make it partway up the next hill...

on rolling hills, same thing. let gravity do its thing..... AND I also step on the gas to accelerate... use less energy to accelerate going down than going up...... pick up speed....
at the bottom of the hill as you begin to climb the next rolling hill, let off the gas-

the speed you picked up- gets you up part of the next hill,

once you slow down to 60, step on the gas to continue climbing the hill, at 60.

On the large grade....
at the top, make sure the trans is in L6.
start going downhill, and let gravity pull you. In L6 the vehicle will almost practically free wheel.
I move over to the fast lane- as the vehicle reached 80 on its own.... once the hill is over- the speed quickly slows down- and I continue along at my 55-60.

To climb that grade- I stay in the 2nd lane to the right. This is where trucks,SUVs, towed vehicles are- usually climbing up at about 50-55,
In my case- engine is running at about 3500 RPM on the climb.
The right-most lane has loaded semis that are in low gear chugging along at what seems to be 30 MPH....(flashing lights).

Now if you want to climb that hill doing 85... there are another 3 lanes for you to do that... and CHP waiting up ahead. :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts