EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

3M Sotchguard Clear Bra - just installed

17K views 61 replies 25 participants last post by  vqinside 
#1 ·
I've read in a couple threads about these clear bras. Are you all having these professionally installed or did you do it yourself. Also I'd like to see some pictures of an Enclave with it on, if anyone has some. Thanks!

#2 ·
Re: Clear Bra...is it worth it?

If I was going to have anything put on our Enclave it would be this, but, I really don't think it will do much to protect the front end. Do a search and you will find a body shop somewhere that has before and after pics. Because it's clear, obviously it's hard to tell anything has been done, it's something that needs to be seen in person. The guy that told me about it had a friend that had it on his car that a loose tire hit going down the interstate, he said that it at least held all the chunks of car together. ;D ;D The 3M version I found can be done at home but I wouldn't do it personally.

#3 ·

I have a friend who has it on their Cooper Mini. It is VERY hard to even see it if you're not looking for it. They actually put it on a second car as well. Always a good recommendation if a person will do the same thing more than once! It should really be put on professionally. They have the experience and a few extra "special" tools. The material is custom cut for each vehicle. Do they have an Enclave pattern yet? Does it work? My firends seem to think so, primarily for those very small stone chips that you get on the hwy. I would NOT recommend the black vinyl bras. I've used them on another car. They are a royal pain! You have to take them off when you wash it, when it rains so that it can dry, and in the winter, crud gets in at the margins and scratches the paint. Never again!

#4 ·

It is the first thing I will add once my Enclave arrives. We had it on our 2006 Nissan Armada (1/4 hood, front bumper and rear view mirror...$498). We just sold it. One of the things the buyer loved was the fact that there were no chips in the paint. It made washing the bugs off the front very easy. I would get it as soon as possible as you don't want to risk a rock chip as you drive around thinking about it. Have a professionals (with experience) install it. If you spend $40k+ on an Enclave, you don't want to cut corners to save $200. I think their site will let you know of authorized installers in your area. Most professional installers will buy the clear material in a roll and cut to fit your car. You can buy it in a pattern already cut for your car...not sure if they have a pattern for the Enclave. Bottom line...get it, get it, get it! Helps protect your paint, makes it a lot easier to wash and helps resale value.

http://www.invisiblepatterns.com/ or http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html

#5 ·

Smokey,

I couldn't agree with you more as this is the venture shield product that I was talking about on another thread. You can goto their direct site as well... http://www.ventureshield.com. You can also check for authorized installers in your area. This product has a LIFETIME warranty where 3M has a 5yr warranty. This is what I'm getting when my Enclave comes in. The shop I'm going to said that he won't install 3M anymore because it turns yellow after a while and isn't as strong as venture shield. If you click on pattern search you will see that they already have the precut film for the Enclave. ;D

#6 ·

Like it. Just happen to have a dealer 1.5hrs from where I live, my daughters orthodontist is there too. :cheers: My only question, if it does start to yellow, nevermind, it has a lifetime warranty.

#9 ·

It was easy for the body shop to remove it. Someone backed into my Armada that had the clear bra. It didn't seem hard for him to remove it. They were going to repair the fender but decided to replace it. I didn't see any negatives with mine. I can't tell you all enough...I will get it for EVERY new vehicle I buy from now on.

#12 ·

I had the ventureshield installed on our Enclave 2 weeks ago. Also, I've had it on my other car for 2 years. The latest version of the ventureshield has the clearcoat layer like the 3M product but without the orange peel look you'll see with the 3M material. I'm very happy with it.

#13 ·

could you post some pics with it on?

#14 ·

Is this going to cover the grille or hood in any way? Have you guys checked your engine heat? My Enclave gets mighty hot just sitting idling and I know complaints have been posted over on AcadiaForum about the heat, I'd be real leary of restricting airflow or even putting anything plastic over the front end. After a while, you might not be able to peel it off!

#15 ·

My dealer has a product called "RoadBlock" (www.autobahndint.com) that is a urethane film that seems to be similar to the other products listed on this thread. Is anyone else familiar with this product, which I can have installed for under $500?

#16 ·

enclave4her said:
I had the ventureshield installed on our Enclave 2 weeks ago. Also, I've had it on my other car for 2 years. The latest version of the ventureshield has the clearcoat layer like the 3M product but without the orange peel look you'll see with the 3M material. I'm very happy with it.
Enclave4Her, Pls give us some details. I'm considering as so many are pleased w/it! Who did yours? Approx cost, if you don't mind? Did you get hood? Bumpers? headlites? Thks in advance for any tips!! :thumb:

#17 ·

Gator said:
My dealer has a product called "RoadBlock" (www.autobahndint.com) that is a urethane film that seems to be similar to the other products listed on this thread. Is anyone else familiar with this product, which I can have installed for under $500?
Yeah, sounds like the same thing, just another one of many different brands.

#18 ·

"Clear bra...is it worth it?"
I tried to get MRSBUICK to try one on....let's just say, oh nevermind.......
(Yes, there is a MRSBUICK)

Oh, that MRBUICK, he's a wascally wabbit :cheers:

#19 ·

UH OH :eek:hno: :eek:hno:
I think I'm in trouble. MRSBUICK may have been looking over my shoulder. :eek:

#21 ·

All kidding aside, I would like to know about those Enclave-ers that have had this type of product installed --

* how much did it cost?
* who did you have install?
* what parts did you have covered? Just front end? Mirrors? Headlamp assemblies? Back bumper?
* which product did you have installed? the 3M product? Ventureshield? other?

I'm wrestling with having this done and would like to learn from the collective experience of others.

Thanks -- now back to your/our regularly scheduled "Enclave Real Love" program ;D

#22 ·

MRBUICK said:
"Clear bra...is it worth it?"
I tried to get MRSBUICK to try one on....let's just say, oh nevermind.......
(Yes, there is a MRSBUICK)

Oh, that MRBUICK, he's a wascally wabbit :cheers:
MRBUICK said:
UH OH :eek:hno: :eek:hno:
I think I'm in trouble. MRSBUICK may have been looking over my shoulder. :eek:
Isn't your wife the one who has the color coordinated wardrobe to match the Enclave? Well, try a red one guy!!!![/color]

#23 ·

desgnconcpts...I had it installed and it was $499. I had the lower hood, top and bottom front bumper and side mirrors. He wasn't sure if the 3M material would adhere to the lower bumper(below horizontal chrome strip). I had one of my local Nissan dealers install it. They did my Armada and they did a good job. A lot of dealers here in Columbus, OH are having it done and adding it to the cost of the vehicle via that "extras" list on top of the sticker. It's more of the high end dealers. I will make it the first thing I buy after every new vehicle. My installer offers a 5 year warranty and does a good job. He buys the material in rolls and cuts it for every vehicle. You can buy templates for specific cars but he doesn't do that.

#24 ·

I had the "RoadBlock" (www.autobahndint.com) a urethane film like the other products listed on this thread installed for under $450 (i.e., dealer's cost). Mine has a three year warranty against yellowing, bubbling or peeling, but some installers give it a lifetime warranty (http://www.roadblockofflorida.com/FAQ.html). It also is approved by the manufacturer. This is the "bra" that is used by our local BMW, Audi, Porsche, and Bently dealer also. It has good coverage of all the exposed paint surfaces in front of the car including the side mirrors. It is not visible unless you are looking for it closely.

#25 ·

smokeyy and Gator --

Thank you both for providing this info -- I'm trying to weigh the cost of having this done with the benefits (as well as knowing on my other vehicles, they ALWAYS get "sandblasted" to some degree. seems with construction in N IL and elsewhere, you're almost always at risk of having cars/trucks kick up stones).

I talked to a friend over the weekend who has had this done several years ago and said he would never do it again because the application on his BMW began to yellow after a yr's time and then had to be professionally re-dressed somehow to bring up the shine. And within a few years, the shield began to bubble as well. It sounds like many of you have had success with past applications of this kind of protection.

I know there's a Venture Shield dealer nearby that will come to your house or business to install -- I think I'm going to give them a call to get a quote. If anyone else has experience to share (good, bad or ?) I'd love to hear about it. Right now I'm think of getting the full front treatment -- hood, upper/lower bumper, headlamps and mirrors. Speaking of mirrors, has anyone had that done on the Enclave? What do they cover, considering the integrated turn signals? It would be nice to protect that light strip but I wonder if it could be done.

#26 ·

Only the painted surfaces on the side mirrors are covered and not the signal lenses. They also do not cover the lenses of any of the lights or the grill. They also guarantee that your paint will not change color.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.