EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The codes read all cylinders were misfiring and the fuel pressure regulator had a problem. I replaced spark plugs, coil packs, and fuel pump regulator. Vehicle still wouldn't start up. Took it to the dealer to check further. They performed a compression test to rule out timing chain issues and determined the rear catalytic converter was completely clogged. The dealer replaced the rear catalytic converter and changed the oil and filter. I paid $1300 for the repair, pulled out of the parking lot and made it 1/4 mile down the road, smoke starts rolling out from under the hood. I drove back to the dealership and they told me the 3rd cylinder is dead and I need a new engine. Before the initial work I had done to the car the engine performed fine. How did the engine blow?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Your Enclave needs another dealer, sounds to me like. How is it dead? No compression? No spark? Blown piston? Thrown rod? If that's all they're telling you, they're getting ready to take you for a ride

·
Registered
2015 Enclave Leather.
952 Posts
"determined the rear catalytic converter was completely clogged."
The engine probably had raw fuel going into cats for it to completely clog. How long did you drive with with those cylinders misfiring? Any Flashing CEL?
Back pressure from the clogged cat probably caused the cylinder to fail.

·
Administrator
771 Posts
electbc said:
"determined the rear catalytic converter was completely clogged."
The engine probably had raw fuel going into cats for it to completely clog. How long did you drive with with those cylinder misfiring? Any Flashing CEL?
Back pressure from the clogged cat probably caused the cylinder to fail.
^ This is what I was thinking. My guess is the extra heat/pressure from the clogged cat caused the head gasket to fail which caused lubrication or cooling issues for cyl 3. Lost a head gasket to an 85 Fiero back when I was in college in a 2.8 V6 because of a clogged cat.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Mad Enclave owner said:
The codes read all cylinders were misfiring and the fuel pressure regulator had a problem. I replaced spark plugs, coil packs, and fuel pump regulator. Vehicle still wouldn't start up. Took it to the dealer to check further. They performed a compression test to rule out timing chain issues and determined the rear catalytic converter was completely clogged. The dealer replaced the rear catalytic converter and changed the oil and filter. I paid $1300 for the repair, pulled out of the parking lot and made it 1/4 mile down the road, smoke starts rolling out from under the hood. I drove back to the dealership and they told me the 3rd cylinder is dead and I need a new engine. Before the initial work I had done to the car the engine performed fine. How did the engine blow?
Hello!

We are truly sorry to hear of your Enclave’s concerns. This is certainly not the experience that we want our customers to have and we apologize for any inconveniences that may have been caused as a result of this situation. We would be more than happy to reach out to your dealership on your behalf to gather additional information. If this is of interest to you, we would need your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and your involved GM certified dealership in a private message. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
To learn more about our privacy policy, please visit: http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Best,
Jerel J.
Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes i'm in the same boat a connecting rod bearing gone with 151774kms i change my oil regularly at 5000 km with mobil 1full synthetic how could this happen ? do i get the GM crate motor or just rebuild it ? HELP!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
yes i'm in the same boat a connecting rod bearing gone with 151774kms i change my oil regularly at 5000 km with mobil 1full synthetic how could this happen ? do i get the GM crate motor or just rebuild it ? HELP!!
I’m currently going thru **** with near bout the same issue cat convertor was completely clogged my 2011 enclave broke down on me one night and the cats was glowing orange it scares the poo out of me since then I parked it got it home and hired a mechanic when the mechanic looked at it he said timing chain at first then once looking further he said the head was also blown I needed a new engine or rebuild the one I had so we rebuilt it and after 7 long months of waiting he gives me my truck back after paying $2,600 to have it fixed and here I am doing the work myself on it now cause he says it has an electrical problem that he wasn’t gonna do. So with that said this all started with clogged cats how they got clogged I dunno but in the first of al this the truck would stiffer like and I almost thought it was a transmission issue until the night my cat was glowing! So now after motor rebuild $2600 bucks near bout a year without a ride not to mention I only drove it two months when it broke down geezzz I’m not at a point where it’ll crank but it sounds like an electrical whirring whining noise under the hood has weak acceleration was going into limp mode and trying to run hot? So the codes it’s throwing are for the throttle body’s and o2 sensor so I will go from there but it seems gm knows of this same exact crap happening to Buick enclave owners and I feel we should be compensated for it or some sort of equal opportunity to actually DRIVE a Buick instead of just owning one! Lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts