would be

·
Registered
259 Posts
Joe-drum said:
Gas milage seems to be dropping.
city driving with this thing is not as good as i thought it
would be
With mine AWD and a mid-grade gas with mainly highway driving (i.e., I reset with each new tank) I achieved 20 MPGs. City driving is not good in mine either, but is closer to 16. :'(

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've only got about 400 miles on mine, but mostly city driving (NYC) and I'm getting about 17 mpg...pretty good for a big car like this!

·
Registered
173 Posts
In city driving, there's really no way around the need to accelerate over 5,000 pounds of mass. (Well, except for a hybrid system that recoups some of the energy usually converted to heat by the brake rotors.) Driving style and the actual amount of stop and go will have a major impact.

On the highway, tall gearing and aerodynamics can help compensate, and you'll see more consistent figures from driver to driver.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Joe-drum said:
Gas milage seems to be dropping.
city driving with this thing is not as good as i thought it
would be
Very possibly correct. I frequently see 11-15 MPG, around town only and a good sized foot! Real test is highway. If you're getting 22-26MPG, (cruise on, re-set DIC) you're doing what you should. This ain't no Regal! ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a little over 11,000 miles and I've never seen anything below 16. Average is 17.5-18.5 mixed driving, 21-22 on trips.

Unless you're spending all your time in traffic or you have a very heavy foot something doesn't sound right???

·
Registered
173 Posts
It comes down to how many times per mile you accelerate from a dead stop. Gas mileage is going to vary a lot based on this variable, especially with a heavy vehicle. 17.5 in mixed driving could easily drop to 14.9 in city driving. In some city driving conditions I'm sure you could end up in the single digits.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
True and well put. In NYC I probably get 9 MPG cause all you do is stop, launch at rapid rate, stop, repeat............

Enclave is a heavy sled to play stop & go in. So it's not just "local vs local", but what kind of local. But on the highway I can vouch for those who say whether 55 or 70 MPH, mileage is about same.......IE........21-25 MPG! :thumb:

Ps................initial indicators say I may have dropped 1-2 miles per gallon after tranny re-flash! I'm sure it's because I love the way downshifting occurs so smoothly now, and I use it! Pleasure to drive on local & highways.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Ps................initial indicators say I may have dropped 1-2 miles per gallon after tranny re-flash! I'm sure it's because I love the way downshifting occurs so smoothly now, and I use it! Pleasure to drive on local & highways.
And now you know the reason for the original calibration!

·
Registered
222 Posts
After our first week of having our Enclave, and putting on about 700 miles our mpg is at 19.5. Overall I think it is pretty good. It is a lot of mix driving, but not a lot of stop an go.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yesterday was my first "long" trip...about 40 miles, each way, on the Long Island Expressway (on Long Island, NY). I set the Cruise Control to 65, and noticed the engine RPM was about 1800. My 2005 Terraza with a 3.5 engine would run about 2000 Rpm at that speed. My MPG was about 24 +. I had hit some heavy traffic at both ends for about 5 miles each way, so that lowered the figure somewhat (but I'm sure not drastic). Yes, I drive with a very light foot. I'm not on the road to drag-race at every opportunity, and I try to slow-up well in advance (it saves the brakes).

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you compare the Enclave to its like sized 4wd, truck platform cousins, the difference in gas mileage is very real. Even in city stop and go the Enclave outperforms the truck based vehicles substantially, and with a much smoother ride. :thumb:

G

·
jacko said:
If you compare the Enclave to its like sized 4wd, truck platform cousins, the difference in gas mileage is very real. Even in city stop and go the Enclave outperforms the truck based vehicles substantially, and with a much smoother ride. :thumb:
well, my 4wd yukon, gets 15 mpg, city hwy, offroad, what ever, it never moves, also i cant believe that every body on here thinks the ride is rough on gms full size trucks, it is one of the smoothest cars (and trucks!!) i have EVER RIDDEN IN , yes i think the enclave is smooth, but i still think the yukon is smoother, now quieter NO, better maneuvering NO, the enclave beats it hands down there, but there's something with the AIR Ride that makes it smoother than the enclave, now if gm was smart and put air ride in the enclave im sure it would become the smoothest ride on the planet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We have had our Enclave exactly 1 week. Went on our first trip this weekend. Checked tonight on the way home and overall mpg was running 19.9. Not complaining at all.

We met a "Claver" while going over the Mackinac Bridge. "WHO WAS THAT RED JEWEL CLAVER HEADIN NORTH"??

Overall we saw 5 Enclaves. One couple approached us in a parking lot and asked how we liked ours. They had just completed a 2000 mile trip!

Very pleased with the ride and performance. I'm driving the wife crazy with my paranoid parking ::) I told her we needed the extra walking!!!
Even requested seats with windows at AppleBee's so I could keep an eye on it. :crazy:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Interestingly enough on Saturday there was a GM Canada-held event at our local mall. They had a whole bunch of cars you could test drive right in the parking lot, like they had a Solstice, Cobalt, G6 Convertible, Equinox, Acadia, Enclave, Yukon, and Escalade and you would get a $10 Best Buy gift card if you drove one. So we decided to test drive Enclave, and it was the BEST car I have ever ridden in. It was soooooo much smoother than our SV6 with the sport suspension, and smoother and quieter than the Acadia. Right after I wanted to test drive the Escalade for kicks, and while it has the power, the ride wasn't as smooth as the Enclave, handling wasn't that good, and it's not as quiet.

So, I think that once the Enclave comes with an HUD, that's the car we'll be getting. Hopefully GM equalizes their pricing in Canada by that time as well :rant:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just filled up for the 3rd tankful. The last tank, our average speed was 29.5 MPH and 16.5 MPG we were running the A/C most of the time.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yikes!! My '04 Suburban is averaging 19mpg![/color] Are you sure it's the car??? [/color] [/color] :eek:hno: My husband can bring my car's average way down - he's got a HEAVY foot! ;D[/color]

......Feeling colorful today, sorry![/color] :angel:

G

·
debywebbi said:
Yikes!! My '04 Suburban is averaging 19mpg![/color] Are you sure it's the car??? [/color] [/color] :eek:hno: My husband can bring my car's average way down - he's got a HEAVY foot! ;D[/color]

......Feeling colorful today, sorry![/color] :angel:
I WANT 19MPG, of course i have a 6.0 and 4wd.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts