EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really really want to express how SUPER DUPER PLEASED I was with the Performance of the Traverse.

Round Trip = 4000 miles.
most mileage was done on Dec 13,14 and Jan 2,3
About 217 miles consisted of dirt/rocky trails over the 3 weeks.

Major city destination- Guadalajara.
We spent most of the time at dads house up in the mountains. 3 hrs away from Guadalajara. In the state of Zacatecas.

Dad retired last year and finally built his retirement home. The house is in the mountains- 8 miles by dirt road from the nearest small town.
So as a gift to my parents... I took them stuff. TV, DVD players, solar powered lights, LED lamps, microwave, toasters, 120 range antenna, and other stuff.
Mom had been buying stuff here in the states. Stuff at Marshalls/TJ max-- like plates, towels, etc.
I also took my Grandma a TV, coffee creamers, soups, Diabetic test strips, Glucerna, etc.
I also took items that they can cook. Stuff not found out there. Sort of stocked them up so they can have a variety if food for some months.

Tried to stay at 80 MPH most of the way. No going 55 on this trip.
MPGs on the way down (loaded up) Hand calc values
20.2 , 23.2, 18.3, 18.8 ---

on the 23.2 I actually got 451.8 miles on that tank! (DIC MPG was 22.7).

Return trip- way lighter (no cargo bag on roof- cargo hitch pretty much empty). 80 MPH- with STRONG WINDS most of the way- lots of dust.
23.4, 21.2, 22, 19.8 , 22.1

So here it is---
2 adults, 2 kids in Diono car seats, 1 large German shepherd and all the supplies.

All the stuff packed in the car--- is this

The rack.

Kids and Dog.

The Dirt Roads to the home

Traffic tie up on several occasions

Other events....

Head into town to refill the propane tank- (thats dads new place)- and a small 'church' in the background.
Theres an old man who rings the bell several times a day. In the evenings-- he rings the bell-- a call to pray the Rosary.

Went to Guadalajara International Airport--
Brother was stationed at Eglin AFB.
Dec 1- retired after 24 yrs of Service.
Finally- chance to take time off.

Part of family- we walked to the next village.
Id like to give thanks to my brother for all the years of Service.
Few months ago- before retirement- he was sent to San Antonio...
New facility for Wounded Warriors.
He was fitted with a new more advanced prosthetic- and went thru training and physical therapy.
He lost part of his foot while deployed to the Middle East.
This happened some years ago during the peak of the conflict--- and even though he was an amputee- he re-enlisted.

Was the trip safe?
Yes. I had no issues.
In the town square....
I often saw Silverados with Soldiers patrolling.
Following behind were Large heavy duty trucks with even more soldiers.

·
Registered
261 Posts
RB, that's a heck of a lot of stuff you carried out there, especially like your traffic tie up.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
So what did you do at night? Sleep in the car with a gun? I would have been very worried about leaving that car load of electronics sitting outside at night, even here, north of the border.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SCBEARS FAN said:
RB, that's a heck of a lot of stuff you carried out there, especially like your traffic tie up.
literally had to slowly move to get them to move in our direction--
that was one long session of trying to move em... prob 30 min worth

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rockyp said:
So what did you do at night? Sleep in the car with a gun? I would have been very worried about leaving that car load of electronics sitting outside at night, even here, north of the border.
Left on Saturday morning 5am...... drove till we reached Las Cruces New Mexico around 10 or 11pm.Stopped at a rest stop full of other travelers and semis.
I removed the child seats and placed them in the drivers seats
Flipped down the 60 portion of the 2nd row...... so now the entire 2nd row was flipped down
Wife and 2 kids laid down there-- with dog warming their feet.
I slept in the passenger seat.

Sunday at 5am- got up---
Reached the border about 630 am
Drove all day and into the night....and arrived in dads town at 1am Monday....

Since we got there so late.. no taxis were around.

Traverse to the rescue....

Wife hopped into the back and sat on the flipped down 40 portion
Dad got into the passenger seat-- and mom sat on his lap..

we then headed into the mountains up the long dirt rocky trail... well never forget that little trip....

Me,
Mom
Dad,
Wife,
Son1
Son2
German Shepherd.

and all the cargo...

Like I said--- Traverse didnt skip a beat!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
You were loaded down! Your gas mileage didn't appear to suffer much.

I performed a couple of audits on potential suppliers in Guadalajara about 5 years ago. My company has a large business campus in San Luis Potosi and we were looking for a supplier for them to add value to and ship to us to go on our transformers. I unfortunately didn't have much time to do any sight-seeing. Watching the changing terrain close to Guadalajara when flying in was interesting.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
RB, Super trip & great pictures. That's a lot of STUFF packed in there! BTW, the kids have mud all over their faces in the one picture. :happy: just kidding, nice protection doctoring!

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah I was packing stuff in all little crevices.
The rear storage bin--- was packed full- many glass bottles went in there--- separated by the yellow sponges.
and towels.
the little empty space left when the 3rd row folks down and the headrest are near the floor-- those little crevices had stuff in there too.

But yeah--- exceptional mileage for doing 80 and the amount of stuff.

Gas was $3.85-$3.90 USD per gal there

·
Registered
45 Posts
hello! You've made a great trip and most people do, I should say. We all face a lot of obstacles and fight against them. At the end, we are always winners. The only game I lost was against essays. Now I don't make such mistakes and use assignment service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts