EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After endless hours of research, I finally decided to take the plunge and replace my 6-disk head unit with a OEM nav head unit. Most of the research was done here...

http://www.chevroletforum.com/m_5604/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm
http://www.acadiaforum.net
http://www.gm-trucks.com

I have the unit in and most of it works. I currently have three issues that need addressed...

1. I do not have the GPS antenna yet so I haven't been able to use the navigation (I have played around with the maps a bit).
2. Another side effect of not having the GPS antenna is that the clock will not set. (It works with the antenna installed)
3. When I use the turn signals, the "click, click" sound is louder than it used to be. (I got used to it)

I will try to document my journey as it proceeds.

Here is the unit installed with the first DVD I could find playing.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wanted to buy a unit capable of playing DVDs so that I could...

Put LCD monitors in the headrests or
An overhead unit or
Front passenger sun visor LCD.

So, over the past three weeks or so I have been watching the eBay auctions trying to figure out which units played DVDs. Here is a list of part numbers I found on eBay that appeared to be compatible (visually looked like the newer style units). It looks as though the head unit will have a label on the lower left corner that says "DVD" if it plays DVDs. I "think" this list is correct, the only one I know works for sure is the one I bought (25797978)...

CD Only Units
Sierra/Silverado/Surburban/Tahoe/Yukon/?[/color] | Made by Denso | The navigation buttons are blue.[/color]
15882767 (No "DVD" label)
^older model^
15940103 (No "DVD" label)
^older model^
25834072 (No "DVD" label)

Lucerne/?[/color] | Made by Delphi | The navigation buttons are blue.[/color]
10400200 (No "DVD" label)

Acadia/?[/color] | Made by Delphi | The navigation buttons are red.[/color]
25801668 (No "DVD" label)

DVD Units
Sierra/Silverado/Surburban/Tahoe/Yukon/?[/color] | Made by Denso | The navigation buttons are blue.[/color]
15882766 ("DVD" label)
^older model^
15940102 ("DVD" label)
^older model^
25797978 ("DVD" label)

Enclave/?[/color] | Made by Delphi | The navigation buttons are blue.[/color]
25816282 ("DVD" label)

Acadia/?[/color] | Made by Delphi | The navigation buttons are red.[/color]
25801667 ("DVD" label)

Other Units That Look Correct But No Other Information Found

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the nav unit and an older version of the map DVD for $960 shipped.

Things to consider when bidding on a unit from eBay...

Does it come with a map DVD? If so what version is it?
Does it come with an antenna?
Does it need to be taken to a dealer for programming after installation?

If you feel uneasy about bidding on eBay, I think you can buy (some) of the same units elsewhere...

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com
Search for part number 25797978. It is listed for $1424. A new nav DVD is about $200.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it come with a map DVD? If so what version is it?

Edit:Depending on which nav unit you buy, the numbers below may or may not work. You might have to call a dealer to see which map DVD you need for your unit.[/color]

Denso Head Unit
Version 4.0 (Part number 25974486)
Version 3.0 (Part number 25850927)
Version 2.0 (Part number 15934919) - The version I got.
Version 1.1 (Part number 15807780)

Delphi Head Unit
Version 6.3 (Part number 25880099)
Version 5.0 (Part number 15906573 or 15906573U)
Version 4.1 (Part Number 15792651)
Version 3.0 (Part number 10390370)

There are other part numbers for these disks also because there are GM and non-GM branded disks available.

From the reading I've done, there is not much of a difference between versions as far as features go. The only difference is additions/corrections to the maps themselves.

Want to make a backup of your map DVD so your original is safe?...

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=293.0

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it come with an antenna?

All of the antennas I saw on eBay (included in a nav package or by themselves) looked like the lead was too short. They looked like there were only 6-ish inches long. Attached is a diagram of where the antenna goes on the Enclave. So, you may not want to factor in a nav package with an antenna included if you can't use it. I guess you could resell the antenna.

Note:The parts guy would order me an antenna but he would not tell me what the part number was. I ordered one from him (so I knew it was the correct one) for $100. I will list the part number here when I get it. The Enclave antenna part number is 15255334.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it need to be taken to a dealer for programming after installation?

If someone removes a nav unit (or any modern GM head unit) and installs it in another vehicle, the "theft-gard" feature will disable the unit. You will then have to take it to the dealer to have it reprogrammed. Some people say it is hard to find a dealer that can do the reprogramming easily. The dealer will charge you to do the reprogramming (evidently around $80).

The guy I bought mine from claimed "no dealer programming" on his auction. I don't know how he reprogrammed it, but when I put it in, it worked with no "theft-gard" message. The only problem mine has with programming is the turn signal clicker sound is too loud for my liking. I might get used to it or I might have to take it to the dealer if I don't. Time will tell on that one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To remove the dash trim around the radio, there are six clips that hold it on. The location of the six clips are shown on the attached picture. I just used my hands to remove it. I didn't remove the dash trim completely, you can see it hanging by the wires (on a towel to protect the console).

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was an unused cable with a brown connector taped behind the radio. This cable has the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) for the navigation system as well as the circuits for the backup camera. I will tackle installing the backup camera sometime in the future. Below is a list of connections on the back of the navigation unit ...

The first two plugs (looking at the back starting on the left) are for power, data, and sound.
The third plug is for connecting additional screens or aux video/audio input.
The fourth plug is for the rear camera, and the speed sensor wire.
The small round plug (next to antenna) is for the gps sensor for the navigation.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I received the GPS antenna from my dealer. The part number is 15255334, it was $97 plus tax. Installing the antenna and routing the antenna wire was the worst part of the process. I didn't route the wire the way the diagram showed. Attached is the alternate route I took (in red). I have pictures showing how to take the dash apart to run it this way if there is interest.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I made an archive copy of my map DVD using the web page above and put it in the unit. I drove around to see if everything worked, strangely enough it did. I drove a few miles away and then told it to plot a course home. The navigation with the voice turn by turn directions was pretty cool. Attached is one picture of the display in day mode and one in night mode.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After using the nav unit for a couple of days, here is a list of minor annoyances...

1. The turn signal clicker sound is too loud for my liking.
2. Voice recognition for nav commands do not work. (On star voice commands work though).
3. I used to be able to press the talking head button on the steering wheel to activate the Onstar voice commands. Now it activates the voice
recognition for nav commands (see #2). (I can still press the phone button on the rearview mirror.)
4. When I used the Onstar prepaid cell phone minutes with the 6-disk unit, the minutes remaining would display on the head unit. With the nav head
unit, all I get is an Onstar icon, no minutes remaining.
5. I am talking to myself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I really, really appreciate your in-depth report on this adventure. I got on here today for the sole purpose of seeing if someone had reported on installing NAV in a non-NAV equipped vehicle, but I must say I never expected this good of a report from anyone. It will not go un-used!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! I was hoping this would come in handy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too, want to let you know how much I appreciate all your effort. I live in a community with a couple-hundred miles of road, so the nav feature isn't so important (the Acadia's nav doesn't work in Alaska, although a Cadillac's nav will)...just a matter of waiting for the map software to catch up I suspect.

But I've been following the OEM back-up camera thread on the Acadia site, and want to go that route. Your help with the planning is invaluable...Skip.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The next few pictures will show how I ran the GPS antenna to the head unit.

Remove the glove compartment...

• Open the glove compartment.
  • Remove the two stops by turning them 1/4 turn (circled in green).
  • Optionally remove the plastic gear to protect it (circled in red).
  • With the glove compartment open all the way, lift straight up to remove the hinges (circled in yellow).

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Remove the right side of the dash...

• Pry off the dash side (I used my hands).
  • There are 4 clips (circled in green).

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Remove the shroud around the glove compartment (outlined in red)...

• You can pull the bottom of the shroud away from the dash. There are 3 mini clips to remove (circled in yellow).
  • There are 4 clips on top to remove (circled in green). I started with the middle 2 clips and worked my way out.
  • Once you get the shroud off there is a wire to remove (circled in Blue).

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The antenna goes in the right side of the dash (right under the windshield). It would probably make it easier to install the antenna and fish the cable through if the top of the dash was completely removed. To do this you would have to (remove the negative battery cable first) then remove the A-pillar/side air bag covers, then remove the top of the dash.

I didn't completely remove the top of the dash, I just pried the top up using a small screwdriver followed by a larger screwdriver. Once I could get my fingers under the dash cover I lifted up and jammed two screwdrivers in there to hold it up. NOTE:I would not use two screwdrivers to hold up the dash because it put dents in the foamy part of the dash. I didn't notice the dents until after I was done, the dents did go away eventually but learn from my mistake, use something flat, maybe a couple of books??

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The GPS antenna has about a 3ish foot long wire connected to it. The wire is wrapped with 1ish foot long foam pieces. So the whole 3ish foot wire is not completely covered with foam, there are 1/4" gaps where there is no foam. When I fished the antenna wire, the foam was catching on stuff so I recommend taping over the foam on each side of the wire to keep it from coming off.

I wish I had a picture of the wire/foam, but you will see what I mean when you get the antenna.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fish the antenna wire through the dash...

• Using a fish tape (coat hanger or something similar), stick the fish up the right side of the dash and come out the hole on the top of the dash where the antenna goes. The green line is where the fish will go in and out of (the dotted line is where you cannot see the fish).
  • Once you get the fish out of the hole, use electrical tape to attach the antenna wire to the fish. The electrical tape should cover the antenna wire, the antenna connector and the fish. Meaning do not tape the fish ONLY to the connector, you will pull the connector of the wire.
  • Pull the fish tape out of the right side of the dash slowly feeding the antenna wire into the dash.

Obviously that sounds simple but it took quite a bit of trial and error. Do not force the wire through the dash. If it seems like you are stuck, pull the antenna wire back out a little and try again.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts