EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Has the system been dye tested for leaks?

·
Registered
40 Posts
cfedor said:
Has the system been dye tested for leaks?
Hi. Good question. It has. I took the car in one week after freon was added, and there were no visual signs of a leak according to my tech (who I trust implicitly). In anyone's opinion, is there a chance that this could just be a bad fuse or something?

I am taking the car into the dealer on Wednesday afternoon and will update this thread with any diagnoses.

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
KITT said:
Hi. Good question. It has. I took the car in one week after freon was added, and there were no visual signs of a leak according to my tech (who I trust implicitly). In anyone's opinion, is there a chance that this could just be a bad fuse or something?

I am taking the car into the dealer on Wednesday afternoon and will update this thread with any diagnoses.

Thank you.
Not too sure about a fuse. Maybe a relay, or the compressor?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Also, I had an issue with my AC a month ago. It blew hot air when AC was engaged. Dealer put more refrigerant in, and it worked right away, but suspected it could be an evaporator core issue. No issues in the last 30 days until now. Could this be an indicator of something related to evaporator core?

Hopefully it is just a fuse or relay, but I really kind of doubt it. Sounds more like the evaporator inside/behind the dash. Many times when these leak, they can not be seen using the dye that should show a leak.

Have you heard any "hissing" sounds from inside the car? This is one of the symptoms a few owner's in the past with leaky evaporators have said they heard.

·
Registered
40 Posts
ls973800 said:
Also, I had an issue with my AC a month ago. It blew hot air when AC was engaged. Dealer put more refrigerant in, and it worked right away, but suspected it could be an evaporator core issue. No issues in the last 30 days until now. Could this be an indicator of something related to evaporator core?

Hopefully it is just a fuse or relay, but I really kind of doubt it. Sounds more like the evaporator inside/behind the dash. Many times when these leak, they can not be seen using the dye that should show a leak.

Have you heard any "hissing" sounds from inside the car? This is one of the symptoms a few owner's in the past with leaky evaporators have said they heard.
Yes. Plenty of hissing. Ugh. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
KITT said:
Yes. Plenty of hissing. Ugh. Thanks.
Sorta sounds like a diver taking a breath of air off a scuba mask from under the drivers' side footwell area?

·
Registered
40 Posts
cfedor said:
Sorta sounds like a diver taking a breath of air off a scuba mask from under the drivers' side footwell area?
Precisely

·
Registered
40 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I am sorry to be the barer of bad news. :(
cfedor and goldenclave hit it on the head. Evap coil. $2k. Good news is that it is covered under some warranty that came with the car. Had no idea I had it. I spent last night preparing a missive I was going to fire off to GM looking for some relief on a $2k repair to a car less than 5 years old with less than 60k miles.

Anyway, thanks for the guidance. The contributors here are an invaluable resource.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
KITT said:
cfedor and goldenclave hit it on the head. Evap coil. $2k. Good news is that it is covered under some warranty that came with the car. Had no idea I had it. I spent last night preparing a missive I was going to fire off to GM looking for some relief on a $2k repair to a car less than 5 years old with less than 60k miles.

Anyway, thanks for the guidance. The contributors here are an invaluable resource.
:happy: :( at the same time. Just wait a year, You might be in the same boat as I was and need the rear evap coil done.

·
Registered
40 Posts
cfedor said:
:happy: :( at the same time. Just wait a year, You might be in the same boat as I was and need the rear evap coil done.
Holy smokes! You needed rear evap later? Just curious if you think I should push to get both replaced? Would I have grounds to do so?

That's frigging ridiculous!!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
KITT said:
Holy smokes! You needed rear evap later? Just curious if you think I should push to get both replaced? Would I have grounds to do so?

That's frigging ridiculous!!!!
You could ask them to check the rear coil for leaks, but if it passes the test there would be no grounds to replace it under warranty.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
You could ask them to check the rear coil for leaks, but if it passes the test there would be no grounds to replace it under warranty.
Agreed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sad to read about A/C evaporator coils needing to be replaced. Have a 2008 with 95K miles on it and A/c seems to be fine. I wonder if those that use AUTO MODE rather than MANUAL MODE have a higher rate of failure on these coils. I never use AUTO mode as it seems to run the compressor significantly more than manual mode. Not sure there is any correlation here or not. Comments?

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
ENCLAVEDUDE said:
I never use AUTO mode as it seems to run the compressor significantly more than manual mode. Not sure there is any correlation here or not. Comments?

Ive wondered the same thing...
I rarely use my AC.
It was 105 in my neck of the woods yesterday. No AC. As long as air is flowing- its good enough for me.
On the way home- I hit heavy traffic on the freeway- crawling along... I hit the instant update- temp showed up as 116.
Still no AC.

Though once home- I picked up mom--- I turned AC on for her....

21 - 36 of 36 Posts