EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. DVD Screen - For those of you who have little ones who sits in the 2nd row, how do they feel about watching with their head looking up to the screen? I would think their necks will get tired during long trips. Also, how is the view of the screen form the 3rd row?

2. I feel more comfortable with screens on the headrests but do not see enough room for decent size screens. What would be the largest size I can put on the headrests?

3. What temperature are the HIDs (Xenon)? I would think its around 4300K.

Thanks.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Flipsonic said:
1. DVD Screen - For those of you who have little ones who sits in the 2nd row, how do they feel about watching with their head looking up to the screen? I would think their necks will get tired during long trips. Also, how is the view of the screen form the 3rd row?

2. I feel more comfortable with screens on the headrests but do not see enough room for decent size screens. What would be the largest size I can put on the headrests?

Thanks.
My 3 and 5 year olds don't mind looking up to the screen at all. If I put a movie on under their seat they would happily contort themselves.

Seriously.. my kids have head restraints in the car seat and booster seat. They lean their head back but I don't see their neck straining. Sitting on top of the car seat bottom already has them up pretty high.

·
Registered
405 Posts
haha Claveman, that would be a funny picture!

I had two (ages 6 and 11) in the third row this past week watching a movie with no complaints, they preferred the third row over the second so they could share candy together (cousins, NOT siblings ;D)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Flipsonic said:

Thanks.
Good questions. The DVD's I've seen personally were big enough in the head rests. Your child may be sitting quite close and it will look like a 27" TV!! ;) Get the two, to avoid sibling fighting and have a better, rear, outward view, unblocked by the fold down screen.

The HID temp you refer to is the "color" index of the light. Obviously not true heat!! ;) I think I read somewhere that they burn @ about 5000 Kelvin. Not sure but I have some work lites that burn at 5200K and it's close, by eye anyway! That's pretty white! ;D A reg headlite is roundabout 3500K maybe. Fairly yellow in appearance.

good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Flipsonic said:

Thanks.
1. My three year old likes it a lot better than the her old method of watching movies by holding the iphone.

2. They had a vehicle at the dealer with screens in the headrest and we thought it was overkill. It also seemed to add more bulk to the headrest, which obstructed her view outside.

3. No clue. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
The headrest DVD players are 7" screens for most manufacturers. The single overhead DVD is 8", so you're not losing much and the screen is coming closer. Plus, the headrest screens don't compromise the driver's rearward view.

Yes, light ratings related to temperature are for the "temperature" of the light emitted. As a light warms up (keep in mind we're talking incandescent bulbs) it first emits light in the infrared spectrum, then progresses into red, which is also the last color you see when a bulb cools. As the temperature increases the coil goes toward orange and yellow. What is happening is the light being emitted is increasing in energy and the result is higher wavelength, ie the color changes. As the color progresses into greens, blues, and violets, and keeping in mind the previous colors are still being emitted as well, the result is a light that emits all colors. Now science students, what color occurs when you combine all colors? White light! Thus higher temp lights are whiter.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just got rid of Lexus that had TV in the ceiling, and our new Enclave's have them in the headrest. Better option as both can watch their own preference or they can share the same video. Headrest is closer to the viewer and gives them a better picture with tilt capability that the overhead which can't be tilted. Dealer installed two 7" screens for $1750. Go with the headrest it really looks sweet! :thumb:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I may just install headrest monitors in addition to the ceiling monitor since its going to be just my two kids back there most of the time. I can flip down the ceiling monitor if there is anyone in the 3rd row. I hope its not hard to split the video output.

As for the HIDs, I saw a chart somewhere that says around 5000K is the whitest (compared to high noon light). Anything less will be yellowish and anything more will be bluish. I have 6000K HIDs on my Lexus and it is definitely bluish compared to the stock 4300K. It all boils down to what the human eye can process. I'll post the chart if I find it. In addition, it's harder to see through rain with higher temp HIDs.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I wouldn't recommend having the dealer install those headrests. $1750 is outragous! Find a good pair from a reputable online retailer (I won't suggest names, I'm not on anyone's bankroll but they're easy to search), typically around 600-800 or better if you have time to work with an online auction sight, and either do it yourself if you're handy or pay someone at the local auto A/V shop. You'll save money, that's for sure. Plus, if you've got the cash, have them install a TV receiver (or such) underneathe the seat. That way, if they don't like their DVDs or have seen them all, the kids can try TV. And later you can also plug in their favorite video game system and play. It's expandible that way.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jimbobwae said:
I wouldn't recommend having the dealer install those headrests. $1750 is outragous! Find a good pair from a reputable online retailer (I won't suggest names, I'm not on anyone's bankroll but they're easy to search), typically around 600-800 or better if you have time to work with an online auction sight, and either do it yourself if you're handy or pay someone at the local auto A/V shop. You'll save money, that's for sure. Plus, if you've got the cash, have them install a TV receiver (or such) underneathe the seat. That way, if they don't like their DVDs or have seen them all, the kids can try TV. And later you can also plug in their favorite video game system and play. It's expandible that way.
I plan to do the work myself. Installing headrest screens is not hard, I've done it before. I just want to make sure I can split the signal coming out of the DVD and at least a 7" screen will fit. I don't have the car yet. As for the other things you mentioned, that will probably come in time. How is the reception on those TV receivers?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't know about the TV reception, this isn't anything I've done yet, just looked into for the future date when we do get an Enclave. I don't have great expectations for the TV reception, but with Digital TV becoming the norm, I think it should help. Plus, it's a function of where you live. I'm a good 40 miles from the nearest major metropolitan area, where all the TV broadcasts are, so my reception probably won't be great here.

Look around for reputable sellers. I've seen systems that come in pairs and are made for one of the players to be able to slave to the other so they could both watch the same movie. And, most importantly, their headrests that match the OEM headrests, because no body here wants an eyesore in their brand new Enclave.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts