EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lansing union authorizes GM strike if necessary
Staff, wire reports

LANSING — United Auto Workers Local 652 members have authorized a strike against General Motors Corp.

However, that does not mean a walkout is imminent. It merely authorizes the union to call for one if needed.

Detroit-based GM and the UAW are in the midst of contract negotiations. The current agreement expires Sept. 14. Ford Motor Co. and Cerberus Capital Management LP's Chrysler LLC also are negotiating with the UAW.

Local 652 President Chris "Tiny" Sherwood said this morning 97 percent of the members voted in favor of a strike, if needed.

The local represents workers at the Lansing Grand River plant that makes the Cadillac CTS, STS and SRX. It also represents workers at the Lansing Regional Stamping Plant adjacent to the Lansing Delta Township assembly plant that makes the Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave.

UAW Local 602, which represents Lansing Delta Township assembly plant workers, could not be reached for comment Wednesday on their plans for a strike authorization vote.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Let's hope not!
STRIKE + GM = SUICIDE.......
you think there are delivery problems now?

·
Registered
222 Posts
jimo said:
The current agreement expires Sept. 14.

UAW Local 602, which represents Lansing Delta Township assembly plant workers, could not be reached for comment Wednesday on their plans for a strike authorization vote.
Holy Cow!!! That could really put a blow in getting our Enclaves. Hopefully the LDT Local 602 are happy, then they will keep on building. If not the here's to:

GM making sure things keep running - PLEASE :blob:

or

A build date before Sept 14th :beer:

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
This is :eek:fftopic:

Mujlo looks like I am driving your Enclave :thumb: I see you have a very good taste ;D

·
Registered
444 Posts
First off its UAW Local 602 not UAW Local 652 that builds most of the Lambda platform – 652 does some of the metal stamping. But more than likely UAW Local 602 will vote the same way.

What you need to understand is that this is just a formality. They need to take this vote in order to be able to strike if they can not come to an agreement. This is simply a formality that happens every contract negotiations. If the union membership didn’t vote to authorize the union to strike they would have to except any offer made by GM good or bad. Once an agreement is reached the membership votes again to except or reject it.

But as I have stated in the past – the union team here at LDT is the most business savvy team I have ever known. We know for a fact if we work as a team with General Motors building a quality car at a competitive price we all win.

·
Registered
222 Posts
coop said:
This is :eek:fftopic:

Mujlo looks like I am driving your Enclave :thumb: I see you have a very good taste ;D
Too Funny. ;D

To bad they weren't twins, maybe then I would have mine by now!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Don, from what you have said I will have to agree that it "appears" that the UAW HAS changed their ways somewhat and are trying to be a good business partner with GM as well as representing the best interests of its members. Let's hope it stays this way and never returns to the old days.

On a related note, it was on the front page of the business section of The Birmingham News today that the UAW had a very successful meeting with many employees at the Lincoln, Alabama plant that builds the Odyssey and Pilot. It appears that things aren't so "rosy" between employees and management at Honda and a growing number are very interested in partnering with the UAW. I have thought all along that if Honda, Toyota, etc. were forced to be on more equal footing with the big three, then they wouldn't be as successful. They have had it too easy and had free rein over their employees for too long in this country. This, coupled with the artificially inflated yen in their own country has given them an unfair advantage over GM, Ford, Chrysler for FAR too long.

http://www.al.com/business/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/business/1187253364179760.xml&coll=2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts