EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has had their transmission rebuilt at an AAMCO shop?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yes many years ago and I opted for a lifetime warranty. Good thing, since the transmission failed again within two months and they had to rebuild it again.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
dzs3fz said:
Just wondering if anyone has had their transmission rebuilt at an AAMCO shop?
Not I. I wouldn't go the rebuilt route with any tranny. I only go with a TRUE remanufactured trans. which means it would be direct from an actual (insert car company name here) auto manufacturer and reman. to original spec. It costs a bit more, but I believe it is well worth the extra. We have an 02 Olds Silhouette that we had to put a new tranny in and only went with a reman. no problems so far. This on top of a blown head gasket - so I think we are keeping this van for a while longer than we originally wanted to. Have not had any issue with the 08 CXL AWD (knock on wood).

·
Registered
435 Posts
I only had a transmission "rebuilt" many years ago for my daughter...she had a Ford. Anyway, it was my thought that rebuilt transmissions were like rebuilt engines, where most of the parts were replaced. Not true. I later learned that the only parts, other than seals and some "washers", that were replaced were parts that seemed to be worn-out or broken. In other words, it just seems like a band-aid fix, not a true repair. And most of the time the transmission which is put into your car is not your transmission but one that has already been "rebuilt" in a shop somewhere. So, you could receive a transmission from a "flood" car or even a junk yard. Your transmission is then sent to a central shop to be "rebuilt" and passed on.
Fortunately, I haven't needed to have this done. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts