EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a cross-post from another thread that I replied in, but now the AC has finally gone all the way so I decided to give it a thread of its own after searching high and low for a fix.

The problem started on a trip back from Jacksonville after Memorial Day.
The AC would stay cold (not ice cold like when we first got it, but rather just on the verge of being comfortable) while moving, but as soon as we stopped moving it would start hissing (loss of pressure) and the muggy hot air would start to blow.
I thought I had narrowed it down to broken temperature gauge: the AC blows cold whenever the fans are blowing on the condenser. But the fans only come on every once in a while. I sat there and watched them for a long while with the AC cranked to MAX and the engine idling and the only rhyme or reason to the fans turning on that I could see was engine temperature. I also tested the coolant pressure and it is almost perfect (have a friend who is an HVAC guy).

Now, it has decided to finally just start blowing hot air and won't get cold at all and the vacuum hiss is constant. I can hear the compressor clutch engage when the AC comes on.

Any ideas anyone?

**UPDATE 06/07/2015**

So, turns out it was low on refrigerant. We had checked the system with the A/C and engine off. When I checked with the A/C on it showed very low. I added the refrigerant-in-a-can and got it back in the blue and now it is working. Now we wait to see how long it lasts to find out how bad the leak is. :-\

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Re: AC finally went out on my '09 after partially working the past couple weeks

The same thin just happened to my 2010. The dealer said I was seriously low on freon. He charged the system and put in a dye. It's working fine now. It could be a very slow leak that has been going on for years, or a larger one. He said if it happens again to bring it in and they will be able to tell from the dye where it is leaking. Slow leaks only need to be recharged periodically. Large leaks need repair. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JerseyDevil. I looked at it again and it turned out to be low refrigerant. Added more and now it is working. :cheers:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thought I had refrigerant leak also, and recharged refrigerant worked once for me but not for long. Asked local mechanic to diagnose leak but when he vacuumed system he pulled out full freon capacity. No leak. He diagnosed sticking expansion valve, cleaned it, and everything works fine again.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
jmichaelrush said:
Thanks JerseyDevil. I looked at it again and it turned out to be low refrigerant. Added more and now it is working. :cheers:
Has the problem come back? I would imagine that the refrigerant level was low due to a system leak, likely at the coils.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just returned from a week in West Palm Beach. Haven't had to use the AC since September, as we live in Upstate NY. Warm/hot air, and I didn't notice the AC compressor clutch engaging. Expansion valve? Fuses? Relays? After a week of sweating our butts off I need to get this fixed for the upcoming summer season.

edit 2010 Enclave CXL, with 123k on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts