EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s what happened
  1. Driving w family on trip. Using rear air
  2. During trip, after lunch stop - All AC stopped blowing cool air- only got hot air. AC button blinking
  3. Next morning started car to go to local shop (where 8 was visiting). Short drive. Front AC cold
  4. Shop said temp sensor needed replacement and refrigerant was low. Could not fix because we were leaving town to go back home. Paid $56. No AC.
  5. Returned home, brought car to local shop. Replaced temp sensor and added refrigerant and leak detection fluid. Suspected leak but could not find. Paid $278
  6. Front AC continued to work for a week or so but brought to dealer to get checked out anyway.
  7. Dealer claims leak in rear evaporator and new blower motor needs to be replaced ($1300). Paid $145 for this info
  8. Front AC still working after use for a couple of weeks. Supposed to take car in to have the evaporator and blower motor replaced on Monday but thinking about cancelling appt
  9. Wondering if we we choose not fix it and not use rear air if front AC will be ok. Have been afraid to try using the rear air- don’t use it much anyway.
  10. Want to trade vehicle in this year (120k miles)
  11. Should I believe the dealer about what needs to be done? Could I just continue as is and just not use rear AC?
  12. Traveling to Florida in December and need to make sure my AC won’t fail on the way
  13. Some posts have said that the two systems are related so that if there is truly a leak in the rear evaporator eventually everything will shut down. Other post said they are a separate system. Don’t know what to do next. If I get it fixed I will have spent $2000!

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Maybe you want to remove the rear panel and seat.. have it all ready for shop to do the swap of the ac parts... part of bill is the labor for accessing that rear area.

·
Registered
2015 Buick Enclave
65 Posts
The rear and front A/C are linked together with the refrigerant so if there is a small leak in the rear evaporator coil then the system will eventually loose it's gas. That said, if it's working now don't do anything else. Ours was behaving the same way and I suspect a rear evaporator leak on our 2015 Enclave , I paid $300 to have the system checked out and re-charged in the spring and it's been about 4 months and it's still working very well. Some systems leak so slowly that it may be years before you have to revisit this again.

In the event that you loose your cooling quite quickly, then you'll have to address the leak. You have the option of replacing the rear A/C evaporator and blower motor (there is a technical service bulletin from GM on it: 16-NA-046 ) OR you could choose to purchase an aftermarket kit that blocks the refrigerant lines to the rear of the car. We had done that with an older vehicle and it worked fine for over 5 years until the 13 year old compressor clutch finally gave out. The aftermarket kit cost us about $80 and the mechanic who recharged the A/C put it on for us.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts