EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

After market tow package - max towing capacity

8K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tinas33 
#1 ·
We have a 2008 Enclave but did not get the factory installed towing package. A local heavy duty trailering shop (not a Uhaul) can install tranny cooler, wiring, hitch, etc. The only thing we won't have is the mysterious "tow button" I've seen mentioned in posts, which apparently can be overcome with careful shifting.

Our intent is to tow a 20' bowrider weighing 3700 lbs including trailer and gas, with 2 adults, 2 kids, and camping gear in the Enclave. Anyone done this with aftermarket towing accessories, as outlined above?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I have not done it to our Enclave as we have the tow package. I do, however, have lots of experience towing and with towing equipment. The important thing IMO is the tranny cooler. The tow/haul button raises shift points and I believe it bumps line pressure in the trans a bit. You should have ZERO trouble IMO. When towing, if you notice the trans shifting often, leave it out of overdrive as constant shifting or locking/unlocking of the torque converter will really heat up the trans fluid which is a no no.

Tow away with confidence.

#3 ·
tinas33 said:
We have a 2008 Enclave but did not get the factory installed towing package. A local heavy duty trailering shop (not a Uhaul) can install tranny cooler, wiring, hitch, etc. The only thing we won't have is the mysterious "tow button" I've seen mentioned in posts, which apparently can be overcome with careful shifting.

Our intent is to tow a 20' bowrider weighing 3700 lbs including trailer and gas, with 2 adults, 2 kids, and camping gear in the Enclave. Anyone done this with aftermarket towing accessories, as outlined above?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
I personally think you have the wrong tow vehicle.
Boat 3700 #s, adults 300 #s, Kids? 200 #s, camping gear/coolers/etc 300#s = 4500#s or vehicle max (with factory equip). Maybe a five mile run to a local lake, but for a highway trip I'd opt for an SUV.
Wayne

#4 ·
Thank you both for your replies. Wayne, the dealership is in agreement with you - we should just get another vehicle to tow the boat. It's a pretty good hike to Lake George for us, and you're right, we'd be bumping up to the maximum weight with gear and everything.

I appreciate your help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.