EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought an 2008 Enclave and got all the bells and whistles, but decided to go aftermarket for the kids DVD player. Does anyone know if anything larger than the 8" screen can fit between the two sunroofs? Any opinions on dvd in headrests?

·
Registered
10,405 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only posted this after searching for "DVD player" and it didn't pull up anything since 2007, if I was looking to upgrade the sound system, that link would hep me, but I'm not...

·
Registered
881 Posts
If I may echo 2Much, I also find the center roof mount DVD player to obstruct rear vision. I have to rely much more than I like on
the side mirrors to see what is behind me. I got that for two great-grrandsons that we frequently pick up and return. Since they are not with us all that
much, I can live with the blocked view. I readily admit, thought, that if I had it to do over again, I would get the dual headrest DVD players for them.
Perhaps some day I will make the change, but at this point, I just live with what I have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our Yukon XL was totaled after a really bad hail storm!?! Two payments from being paid off an no more car notes?!? Was looking for enough room, but better gas mileage!! We got a CXL FWD, with all the extra options, except for DVD player. We had a ridiculously large 15" in the Yukon (aftermarket), but with 3 kids under 9 years old it was great for viewing anywhere!! We did hate the obstructed view! Just worried that the 3rd kid who sits in the back will have problems seeing the headrest players. Oh well, gotta give somewhere!

Does anyone have a ceiling mount bigger than 8" or know if any bigger one will fit?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the headrest dvds - they came in the E - got them thrown in for free on the purchase. They are nice (but waaay too expensive imo) - each dvd player can play its own movie and each dvd comes with its own headset. That way, two people can watch two different movies. If you want to watch the same movie, you have to pick which headrest dvd you are going to watch, then flip the a/b switch on one of the headsets to switch the audio. There is no option to hear the sound through the enclave radio speakers - you have to use the headsets. I like the set up - usually my kids want different movies and I don't want to hear them while I am driving.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I borrowed my sister's Traverse with the drop down and the visibility was horroble on our trip from NJ to Maine. We I bought an Enclave with the dual headrest. IMO buy aftermarket ones that are much cheaper and better quality. The two different movies is icing on the cake but remember usually only one is master that cansend signal to the other and has the FM transmitter for "car sound".

·
Registered
848 Posts
We ended up buying an RCA dual screen player from Target ($100) a few weeks ago for trips. They are not a good option if you plan to use them a lot since you have a cord going between the units, as well as the power cord to the outlet, and take a few minutes to set up. But otherwise they are nice because they can be swapped on the seats. One trip the kids sit in the middle, so they can be strapped to the front headrests, and then another trip they are in the 3rd row (grandparents riding with us), so they can move to the 2nd row headrests. Can't comment on quality as we've only used them a couple times.

·
Registered
86 Posts
bz94z28 said:
I have the headrest dvds - they came in the E - got them thrown in for free on the purchase. They are nice (but waaay too expensive imo) - each dvd player can play its own movie and each dvd comes with its own headset. That way, two people can watch two different movies. If you want to watch the same movie, you have to pick which headrest dvd you are going to watch, then flip the a/b switch on one of the headsets to switch the audio. There is no option to hear the sound through the enclave radio speakers - you have to use the headsets. I like the set up - usually my kids want different movies and I don't want to hear them while I am driving.
We have the same setup (dual headrests) and you can play the sound through the stereo, assuming it's the factory headrest DVDs. The "A" screen (drivers side) has an FM transmitter in it, so you can tune the stereo to FM 87.9 (or something like that - I forgot, but check the owners manual or scan for the signal) and hear the playback. I did that for a long drive so my daughter wouldn't have to have the headphones on the entire trip.

A few things I found:
  • the signal from the "A" screen's FM transmitter is weak and may get drowned out by a strong FM radio station on the same channel in the area. I unscrewed the antenna from the roof to reduce the interference and this doesn't mess up the XM reception since that receiver is in the base of the antenna.
  • the system won't be surround sound. Just stereo, but you can use the fader to put it on the back speakers so it's not too loud for you in the front
  • this is nice since you can control the volume still and get the kid(s) attention when you need to (the voice dial button on the wheel is also a mute if you tap it instead of hold it)
hope that helps

-Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aftermarket DVD Player Headrest

If 8 inch is not enough, you can buy a 9 inch one. Or if you want to find a easy-installation headrest dvd player, you can buy the same type of mine, a 9 inch Android 2.3 Tablet PC and Car Multimedia System bought from a online shop named justcardvd

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check these out! I had them in my 08 E and the leather and stitching was a perfect match to the factory leather. I had a 15" overhead and dual headrest DVD and they all integrated and had gaming ports.
It won't let me post a link so search Vizualogic on the web.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
EnclaveDHF1
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing