EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
kidsenclave said:
You are either into classic cars or not. Anyone into classic cars understands that anything under $20k is a cheap way to get into the hobby. Find something under $10k and it usually needs a bit of work and/or is not dependable enough for traveling to car shows. The sweet spot is about $12000 to $18000, usually nice enough but still within reason.

Edit: this, for example, is an incredible deal:

http://www.grautogallery.com/vehicles/2573/1985-Buick-Grand-National
That is a lot of money for something that wouldn't drive very well. Look at the 85 mph speedo, a reminder of how astray this country once went. Again, if you are rich, why not collect things without regard to value (a 1973 Oldsmobile station wagon? I will PayPal $25 to anyone on this forum, who pays the advertised price, on the wagon or this Buick. It's like getting 6 free car washes on me)

·
Registered
265 Posts
i love classic cars, ive been a car nut as long as i can remember, but the only car on this thread i would consider buying if i had the resources would be the ford. sorry if i offend but the 1985 buick grand national is just plain ugly. to me classic cars worth collecting would be ferrari califonia 250 gt, lancia stratos, bmw m1, austin 7, e-type, those sorts of cars. collecting cars, in my mind has more to do with the history, the influence, the rarity or infamy of the vehicle instead of just a shiny example of an average mass produced vehicle.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
john 070 said:
That is a lot of money for something that wouldn't drive very well. Look at the 85 mph speedo, a reminder of how astray this country once went. Again, if you are rich, why not collect things without regard to value (a 1973 Oldsmobile station wagon? I will PayPal $25 to anyone on this forum, who pays the advertised price, on the wagon or this Buick. It's like getting 6 free car washes on me)
Well it's all subjective. Classic cars are my hobby so I'm looking at these sites all the time and know ranges for certain types of cars. Grand Nationals are usually $25k-$40k depending on condition. This example struck me as a deal, perhaps it needs work to bring it up to the level of most, but still....looks nice enough for shows, yet could be driven as a daily.

That's my thing, but there are other hobbies I don't understand. Gal at work was saying she went to the local RV show, just to look, and commented one RV had a price tag of over $300K. That, to me, is nuts....given it's more than twice what our house cost! But hey, if it's enjoyed and afforded by someone, who am I to judge?

·
Registered
592 Posts
If every thing checked out with that GN, that's a great deal. Something seems "off" about the ride height to me though. Concerned it has been lifted in the past to acommodate oversized rims. Maybe not though - difficult to tell in pics. If it did formerly have oversized rims, I would be a little concerned with the tranny asnd be asking myself "what else" did they do. Even with that, still looks like a deal if it presents as well in person as in photos.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
TSS said:
If every thing checked out with that GN, that's a great deal. Something seems "off" about the ride height to me though. Concerned it has been lifted in the past to acommodate oversized rims. Maybe not though - difficult to tell in pics. If it did formerly have oversized rims, I would be a little concerned with the tranny asnd be asking myself "what else" did they do. Even with that, still looks like a deal if it presents as well in person as in photos.
:-\ Possibly, did not notice that....probably because I really like these rims vs. the usual ones on the '87s. Hmm, could just be different springs, or something updated to give it that stance....which looks good, especially with the rims, but good catch....would make someone want to go thru it with a fine toothed comb.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
This is probably the only vehicle that looks good with wood on the sides. Funny how popular these tend to be in movies. But still, I wouldn't mind one of these, you hardly ever see one without the wood.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Here's what an Enclave woody could look like. Think I would want darker wood like the 1970s Buick Estate wagons, or perhaps lighter like the Roadmasters. Either way, I agree with the writer. Don't let Jeep be first to bring back wood siding.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts