EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of old posts on warrantys but only one recent.

I thought I would ask again here in addition to internet searches.

Can anyone recommend an aftermarket extended warranty company? Or maybe a better question ones to avoid?

I have a 2011 CXL1 with 22k miles.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I can vouch for First Guard. In 2013, I bought a 2009 Enclave with 55,000 miles on it. My credit union recommended First Guard, and I bought their Ultimate plan, for which I think I paid about $1900, and carries a $100 deductible for each visit, which can be performed by any ASE certified shop. The plan extended my coverage to about 105,000 miles. The Ultimate package covers just about everything except belts and such. They replaced struts, steering gear, main seal, valve cover gaskets, power steering parts, and much more. This turned out to be a really great decision, as I think First Guard has paid for at least $6,000 of repairs! :thumb:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
mtrot said:
This turned out to be a really great decision, as I think First Guard has paid for at least $6,000 of repairs! :thumb:
What credit union, PenFed? Isn't it amazing feeling good that the car is unreliable :happy:

We had a/c fail at 26 or 28k, and I know that is pricey. Also the steering rack and various factory forgot to tighten this or that etc.

We've got the GMPP and I think it cost about the same as what you posted but I don't remember exactly--I'm wondering if we'll get anything out of it. It's good to 2018 so there is time to do some damage. :banghead:

Edit: actually just reread your post--none of the things you mentioned should break by 100k,, that is annoying. the steering is defective so there isn't much we can do about that, but the rest s****. Main seal? that is not a joke, I don't like the idea of people monkeying around with that at a GM dealership...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mtrot, thanks for the feedback. I checked with First Guard and you are correct it is a good policy, however, they don't sell in CA. :(

·
Registered
157 Posts
Gmpp is the way to go. Check for pricing they are very competitive. I will never buy aftermarket.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Do any of these extended warranties cover cars to 150,000 or 200,000 miles?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently did extensive research on 3rd party extended warranties because my newly purchased 2011 Enclave with 22k miles was past the 4 year mark by 6 mos and did not qualify for a GMPP which would have been the best choice. I found that Sam's club offers high mileage extended warranties and allow you to make interest free monthly payments. However, when the policy expires, it is re-rated based on age and miles to continue coverage. I imagine it gets to the point where it becomes cost prohibitive when the mileage or age gets high. ( the interest is actually packed into your payment but they don't tell you that, nothing is free)

I passed on Sam's club because it was too expensive and there were some holes in coverage. However, if I had a a high mileage car maybe it would have been a good fit for me. I ended up purchasing a third party 6 yr 75k mile warranty. I'm covered til about 98k miles. It is an "exclusionary" warranty which means everything is covered except the items listed on "what's not covered". Third party warranties are not all bad, however they often will try to deny coverage hoping people go away which I guess seems like they ARE bad. However, if the company (not the broker) has been around a while they are likely not going anywhere and the contract is legally binding which means they pay. But sometimes it is a little bit of a fight especially with some of their inspectors. Its a shame there even has to be a hassle. They would make plenty of money paying all claims. I say this because the payout stats for warranty companies is about 25% of the premiums. Also, when purchasing ANY extended warranty, remember, prices are negotiable. A recent study stated at the dealer level, their cost after paying sales commissions was 46%. I always heard there was 100% mark-up on an extended warranty and its true. Some say they would never buy a third party warranty and maybe they have good reason to say this. However, I have had good experiences with them. If you keep your oil full, and keep good maintenance records things work out. Those two items are a very big portion of them denying claims. To sum up, YES a real factory backed extended warranty is the best, however, many of us are out of the factory bumper to bumper warranty and do qualify. A reputable aftermarket warranty is much better than nothing on high repair incident vehicles whiuch our Lambdas sometimes can be. If anyone has any questions about 3rd party warranties, please ask as I am fresh off this research. I also have a few contracts on a PDF that I can send as examples of coverage.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Fcar53 said:
Gmpp is the way to go. Check for pricing they are very competitive. I will never buy aftermarket.
I agree....I bought a BMW 7/100 which is straightforward--covers 7 years, 100k, from the in-service date. Same price (less any increases) if you buy it the day you take delivery, or the day the warranty expires 4 years later. As luck would have it, the car was too reliable and I got nothing out of it (it was on the Consumer Reports avoid/most unreliable cars lists. Go figure, but they decided to take it off in 2010 and add it to the recommended list--CR, we change faster than you with your underwear).

Did not learn, and got GMPP--it is a dishonest plan, because it costs the same if you were to get it 6 mos. prior to warranty expiration, or at warranty expiration. The key is if it's a 3/54, that is added to the day you get it. So I waited until 2 wks. before warranty expiration, and sweated it out.

Anyway, I asked the GMC dealership if I showed any extended warranty or not, about 3 wks. after we got it. He said yeah, you have some sort of aftermarket warranty that expires blah blah blah 2018.

Long story short, GMPP is aftermarket. It's pretty amazing how GM lets aftermarket cos. freely use their logo and portend to be GM. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
GMPP is owned now by Ally bank and is considered aftermarket. GM sold them the name. GM's warranty is now Platimum GM extended warranty or something like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts