EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't find the exact tow capacity online. I'm buying a 2014 Leather FWD Enclave and planned on towing a boat with it. When researching and looking on different sites, it seemed that it had a 4500lb tow capacity but now I'm learning that that may only be the AWD models or the models with tow package and the one I'm looking at would only be able to handle200 0lbs. I was wondering if it would be possible to add a hitch to it or add a tow package that would increase the tow capacity. Is this safe or smart? Or the opposite? Thanks to any who can shed some light.

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
Towing capacity for non-tow package Enclaves is only 2000lbs. The factory tow package comes with a heavy duty radiator, tow/haul mode switch (which changes the transmission programming to better handle the load) in addition to the hitch and trailer wiring harness. So no, just adding a hitch would not give you the tow package tow rating.
Besides that, FWD vehicles are terrible at boat launches with anything over 3k lbs. Between the tongue weight, wet ramp and weight shift because of the incline there’s a good chance you’ll end up stuck just spinning your front wheels.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts