EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adding my two cents to a previous thread. http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=11029.0

Model: 2011 Enclave
Odometer: 29,226
Symptom: A/C control button flashes twice when depressed and A/C blows warm air :'(
Diagnosis: Advised by dealer that evaporator core failed (leak) and must be replaced

This is major labor and cost, not to mention disappointing after only two and a half summer driving seasons (I'm in Chicago area). MSRP on evaporator core is $311. Dash, steering, console and seats must be removed to access and replace (a scary site). The labor alone had to be 10+ hours; car was at dealer four-plus days. Fortunately, all this was covered by original warranty but I'm figuring this was close to a $2000 repair. This potential repair alone would probably justify an extended warranty coverage purchase to protect you once the original warranty expires. Also, I will be listening closely for any rattles in dash, just worried that re-assembly was not completed precisely. :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I agree with your concerns and disappointment. It does seem that most of those who've reported having this type of repair have been satisfied regarding the quality of the repair and the lack of new rattles.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Our repair went fine and couldn't even tell they took the dash apart (except for the fact that I physically saw it completely torn down in the shop). No rattles and A/C works fine for several months now. My '08 Acadia hasn't had this problem as of yet.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
CyberGrayEnclave said:
Adding my two cents to a previous thread. http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=11029.0

Model: 2011 Enclave
Odometer: 29,226
Symptom: A/C control button flashes twice when depressed and A/C blows warm air :'(
Diagnosis: Advised by dealer that evaporator core failed (leak) and must be replaced

This is major labor and cost, not to mention disappointing after only two and a half summer driving seasons (I'm in Chicago area). MSRP on evaporator core is $311. Dash, steering, console and seats must be removed to access and replace (a scary site). The labor alone had to be 10+ hours; car was at dealer four-plus days. Fortunately, all this was covered by original warranty but I'm figuring this was close to a $2000 repair. This potential repair alone would probably justify an extended warranty coverage purchase to protect you once the original warranty expires. Also, I will be listening closely for any rattles in dash, just worried that re-assembly was not completed precisely. :shrug:
Hey CyberGrayEnclave,
I am so happy to hear that everything was taken care of at the dealership :thumb: Better yet all covered under warranty and you did not have to pay anything out of pocket!
Kelly J. - Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
3 Posts
2009 CXL at 58k miles front evaporator getting replaced. Quoted $1900. About 14 hrs work and they have 2 techs working on it.

Update. Cost was $1802 AC evap part 22804121 at $329.83

They gave back the old evap. Looks like a leak down at the corner. Sticker says made by Behr in Mexico.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
I had to have my '08 front evap core replaced 7/2/13 to two days of work and $1,423.00.
Near the end of June I had noticed the AC button doing the same cyclic on/off as others have had issues with. And the air coming out was tepid then cool, tepid then cool. I thought I had a minor leak. I topped off the r134. 3 to 4 days later same cycling issue and temp issues. Took it in 2 weeks ago and I found out that the rear evap core was shot, along with the front blower motor(due to water in the passenger foot well top cover) $629.00.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
What causes the failures? My BMW is 7 y.o., ice cold air, my Nissan is 16 y.o., ice cold air, neither have ever had a/c serviced. The Buick failed at 25k and did not even reach 3 yrs. And these threads seem to imply not only is the PS and tranny thousands of dollars, but the a/c is nearly 2k. Funny how JD Power and Consumer Reports "missed" these and gave accolades to GM.

With my luck, I buy an extended warranty, and nothing breaks (like the BMW, gosh, when will we learn, man and his aversion for risk kills his pocketbook) ;D

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
john 070 said:
What causes the failures? My BMW is 7 y.o., ice cold air, my Nissan is 16 y.o., ice cold air, neither have ever had a/c serviced. The Buick failed at 25k and did not even reach 3 yrs. And these threads seem to imply not only is the PS and tranny thousands of dollars, but the a/c is nearly 2k. Funny how JD Power and Consumer Reports "missed" these and gave accolades to GM.

With my luck, I buy an extended warranty, and nothing breaks (like the BMW, gosh, when will we learn, man and his aversion for risk kills his pocketbook) ;D
??? Good question. I don't have an answer. Heck een now with the 90*+ weather we are having I think the AC has a hard time keeping up and getting cold quickly.

·
Registered
344 Posts
john 070 said:
What causes the failures? My BMW is 7 y.o., ice cold air, my Nissan is 16 y.o., ice cold air, neither have ever had a/c serviced. The Buick failed at 25k and did not even reach 3 yrs...
Consider yourself lucky! My front evaporator went out a little over 12K miles, and rear evaporator went at 28K miles. However, GM covered everything under warranty, which I appreciated! Out of all the car companies, one thing I can say is that if you buy a new car from GM, they definitely do whatever they can to honor their warranty (in my experience). I called Buick customer service several times, and in every case they did their best working with the dealer to make sure I was satisfied and my car was fixed correctly. I've heard some horror stories on how Hyundai will try to get out of covering defects in their long powertrain warranty and how it's not worth the paper it's printed on. I never had to worry about GM standing by their warranty. Some stuff was even covered after the warranty ran out.

I only hope GM's CEO puts quality and reliability as the top priorities for every GM car, truck, and SUV. GM has excellent designs and it's a shame some suffer from these bonehead quality issues.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
gig229 said:
Consider yourself lucky! My front evaporator went out a little over 12K miles, and rear evaporator went at 28K miles. However, GM everything covered everything under warranty, which I appreciated! Out of all the car companies, one thing I can say is that if you buy a new car from GM, they definitely do whatever they can to honor their warranty (in my experience). I called Buick customer service several times, and in every case they did their best working with the dealer to make sure I was satisfied and my car was fixed correctly. I've heard some horror stories on how Hyundai will try to get out of covering defects in their long powertrain warranty and how it's not worth the paper it's printed on. I never had to worry about GM standing by their warranty. Some stuff was even covered after the warranty ran out.

I only hope GM's CEO puts quality and reliability as the top priorities for every GM car, truck, and SUV. GM has excellent designs and it's a shame some suffer from these bonehead quality issues.
Sometimes I think the Nissan (with my '98) is simply the product of superior engineering and build (when they used to be built in Japan), when car cos. had a little pride and the name of the game was not to score on leases and repairs. So it could very well be that Nissan did not say, "Let's build our 1998's so that the first time an owner spends $1,000 on a bunch of repairs will be no sooner than 2014."

It's strange to be honest how we totally accept things failing year 1, year 2, and year 3. I think it has to do with our leasing mentality, it ain't ours, who cares, it's covered....

·
Registered
657 Posts
john 070 said:
Sometimes I think the Nissan (with my '98) is simply the product of superior engineering and build (when they used to be built in Japan), when car cos. had a little pride and the name of the game was not to score on leases and repairs. So it could very well be that Nissan did not say, "Let's build our 1998's so that the first time an owner spends $1,000 on a bunch of repairs will be no sooner than 2014."

It's strange to be honest how we totally accept things failing year 1, year 2, and year 3. I think it has to do with our leasing mentality, it ain't ours, who cares, it's covered....
I don't want to beat up. Some complaints are unusual for enclave. Like strut,ac,ps,wp etc. I never heard of ps failures this common for any other brand. Ac? Even cars with very old tech don't fail this extend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2010 Buick Enclave with 71,566 miles.
AC Front Evaporator failed. Repair bill was $1,730 and car had to be left overnight. The evaporator core was $320 and labor was $1200.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm curious if the evaporator cores on earlier models are more prone to defects than the 2013 and newer models?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an 09 with 55K miles and THANK GOD I HAVE GMPP! This car has been driven by a little old man (me) since I bought the thing new. The car is currently sitting at the chevy dealer waiting for the GMPP inspector to come out and inspect. The evap core failed in the same way as all of you. Additionally my car has had to have the seat frame replaced ( I weigh 162 pounds), the steering column replaced (leaking), the strut replaced (leaking), the water pump replaced (leaking). Perhaps the 2018 Enclave may be renamed the 2018 Leakclave.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I noticed that mine flashed when trying to use AC in the winter. Fine once it warmed up. Just saying.

Same with my Acadia. Actually with all my GM vehicles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Paul K. said:
I'm curious if the evaporator cores on earlier models are more prone to defects than the 2013 and newer models?
Apparently not. We have a 2015 Enclave that just hit 30,000 miles, halfway through its second summer of AC use. It was in the shop last week to have a leaking rear evaporator replaced. They also replaced the rear fan, but I really don't understand why as I thought the rear fan was working OK. Naturally, I'm worried that we will see the front evaporator go just out of warranty. I find it pathetic that GM can't put in a robust component in an area that is so difficult to access anyway. Especially when there is a history of premature failures of that component on earlier models. That reminds me of the GM that made me so reluctant to buy this thing to begin with.

·
Registered
140 Posts
They also replaced the rear fan, but I really don't understand why as I thought the rear fan was working OK.
Not sure which models were involved but, there was a service bulletin that indicated rear fan motors were creating fine metal particles while running that coated the evaporator and corroded holes in the aluminum. Probably the reason for the evaporator failure and need to replace it and the fan.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bayner66 said:
Not sure which models were involved but, there was a service bulletin that indicated rear fan motors were creating fine metal particles while running that coated the evaporator and corroded holes in the aluminum. Probably the reason for the evaporator failure and need to replace it and the fan.
Took my 2015 in for 24K service and asked to check compressor since it was sounding a bit louder then normal. Service writer called and said it was the rear coil issue as mentioned above. He said the rear fan motor used brushes and that's where the metal particles were coming from. GM's since changed the fan to a brushless model to solve the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue. Unfortunately the evaporator leak materialized over the winter and by the time I caught it my mileage was 60,040. We were within the allowed timeframes for the warrenty but 40 miles over. The dealer service department requested partial coverage for the 1200 dollar repair but GM denied the request. I am in the process of seeking some kind of coverage.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
was this in the front or rear evaporator.
If rear.
I would follow some of the tips on the forums or videos... and remove the seats/panels etc. and then possibly have the dealer or shop do the replacement.
Youd save yourself the $ that is associated with labor to remove the panels.

front is way harder.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts