EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have always used the AC Delco brand in my GM cars, and the Motorcraft brand in my Ford trucks. I did try a K&N filter in this last F150, but took it out after about 30000 miles. I didn't notice any fuel savings, and I didn't want to keep cleaning and oiling it. That could have resulted in too much oil and screwing up the one sensor.

The OEM filters are cheap enough at WalMart, Auto Zone, Rock Auto, etc. I also always have purchased an extended GM or Ford backed warranty, and it sure wouldn't hurt my case any if I ever had a problem which could be blamed on an off brand filter. There were a few examples posted on these boards about engine damage caused by after market oil filters, and the warranty claim was denied by GM.

Cheap Insurance IMHO.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Somebody (jetman) just posted UOAs with increasing Si levels. He posted some pics back about his filter not fitting properly. IIRC it was aftermarket.....Frame or Purolator. I don't know if he would have had that issue with AC/Delco. When I removed mine there was not the dust pattern that he had but mine was replaced with AC/Delco.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The Wix air filter I bought was exactly like the AC Delco, even the materials used in the filter too. It fit correctly too and I verified this before I put it on. I've had no problems with it. It wasn't cheap either. But if it makes you feel better just go get the AC Delco.

I wouldn't get the K&N. These things will leave oil and ruin your sensors if they're over-oiled.

·
Registered
448 Posts
gig229 said:
The Wix air filter I bought was exactly like the AC Delco, even the materials used in the filter too. It fit correctly too and I verified this before I put it on. I've had no problems with it. It wasn't cheap either. But if it makes you feel better just go get the AC Delco.

I wouldn't get the K&N. These things will leave oil and ruin your sensors if they're over-oiled.
Totally agree, watch the tabs on the air cleaner housing they break easily. Mr Badwrench broke one of mine and of course didn't tell me. $40 for the filter, WIX makes good products. Never heard any good about K&N airfilters, but I use their synthetic oil filters or the Mobil 1 oil filters. I believe they are made in the same factory. K&N has a nut welded to the end so I like that to get it a bit snugger than my bare hands.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Two of my tabs were cracked when my air filter was taken out the last time to replace the brake booster. I can't imagine how the techs, who should be "GM certified," could break this? They must have used an impact wrench to tighten the screws. :eek:hno: I have the dealership techs to thank for all the things that were broken on my Enclave.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I know this isn't "Hoyle" but I only blow mine out with compressed air every other oil change - they look clean for as long as I usually keep a vehicle. Do they flow as well? Probably not, but we really have no accurate way to test them or make a true comparrison of dirty vrs clean vrs stock vrs K & N either and mileage or performance doesn't suffer. What surprised me is I just did this and the engine air filter was no dirtier than expected BUT the cabin air filter had quite a bit of dust/dirt on the topside. I had forgotten about it and this was its first cleaning in 19 months and it definitely was bad. I had no problem removing/reinstalling the torx screws and put a sticker under the hood so hopefully any technician will not remove the cover it to check/replace the filter.

·
Registered
448 Posts
gig229 said:
Two of my tabs were cracked when my air filter was taken out the last time to replace the brake booster. I can't imagine how the techs, who should be "GM certified," could break this? They must have used an impact wrench to tighten the screws. :eek:hno: I have the dealership techs to thank for all the things that were broken on my Enclave.
Clearly it's not a very robust design, adequate though, but the fact that they are getting broken at multiple dealers points it to being a management issue. Trying to make a productivity bogie and forgoing quality.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
silvervettes
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing