EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to post this for 2 years already, finally here. :angryfire:
When I’m driving behind a smoky vehicle, I usually always want to switch air to Recirculation. This is like the basic of all cars on street!
But enclave designers think they are smarter?! Decided to make this basic function nonfunctional!
Although it sometimes work on my car if I change air out of floor, defog, or defrosting modes. But now no matter what I do, the recirculation button will only blink 3 times and off. I don’t feel like going to the dealer for this because it cost my time and it’s close to my lease expiration. So if GM customer service can give me tip in this forum to solve this I’ll be happy. Otherwise they better fix this in 2014 model.

Btw I’m tech savvy and did read the manual:” The recirculation mode cannot be used with floor, defog, or defrosting modes. If recirculation is selected in these modes, the indicator flashes three times and turns off."[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,515 Posts
Not a "problem with the vehicle" but it is designed this way, so what are you complaining about? If you want recirc mode change to a mode that will allow it.....why is this so hard to understand? Do you want them to allow a mode that could cause issues with the operation of the HVAC system? :facepalm:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,426 Posts
I agree with the OP. The recirculation button override in many modes is annoying, and it forces more actions to select "recirc" in many instances, which delays preventing unwanted polluted air from entering the cabin while also adding to distraction while driving. Every other car that I've driven allows me to quickly select "recirc" with one touch of a button at will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ccaats said:
Not a "problem with the vehicle" but it is designed this way, so what are you complaining about? If you want recirc mode change to a mode that will allow it.....why is this so hard to understand? Do you want them to allow a mode that could cause issues with the operation of the HVAC system? :facepalm:
Please read my post, my recirculation button won't turn on under any circumstance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GoldEnclave said:
I agree with the OP. The recirculation button override in many modes is annoying, and it forces more actions to select "recirc" in many instances, which delays preventing unwanted polluted air from entering the cabin while also adding to distraction while driving. Every other car that I've driven allows me to quickly select "recirc" with one touch of a button at will.
Thanks GOLD ;), I'm sure most of the Enclavers are not happy about this silly and potentially unsafe design. And this should be able to handled with an software update?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
What is unsafe or silly about this design in the Enclave? The Recirculate Mode won't work with three of the settings but does work with the others as stated clearly in the owners manual. Engineers usually do things for a reason, and in this case, the reason may have to do with not compromising the Defog, Defrost, or Floor modes. It seems to me that, under some conditions, the Defrost & Defog modes need outside air to perform their functions properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,088 Posts
bocoogto is correct. under ANY condition, the Defrost & Defog modes need outside air to perform their functions properly. If you were using your recirc on a defrost/defog mod, then the humidity (even just from occupants breath) would just fog the windows up even more. That is why it takes NATURAL outside air to dry out the humidity built up on the windows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,088 Posts
yepjimmy said:
I wanted to post this for 2 years already, finally here. :angryfire:
When I’m driving behind a smoky vehicle, I usually always want to switch air to Recirculation. This is like the basic of all cars on street!
But enclave designers think they are smarter?! Decided to make this basic function nonfunctional!
Although it sometimes work on my car if I change air out of floor, defog, or defrosting modes. But now no matter what I do, the recirculation button will only blink 3 times and off. I don’t feel like going to the dealer for this because it cost my time and it’s close to my lease expiration. So if GM customer service can give me tip in this forum to solve this I’ll be happy. Otherwise they better fix this in 2014 model.

Btw I’m tech savvy and did read the manual:” The recirculation mode cannot be used with floor, defog, or defrosting modes. If recirculation is selected in these modes, the indicator flashes three times and turns off."[/color]
yepjimmy - do you even have the power button on for the HVAC system( i think that the power switch for the HVAC system is a dumb idea anyway for a vehicle), is your fan even blowing in any speed or mode?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bocoogto said:
What is unsafe or silly about this design in the Enclave? The Recirculate Mode won't work with three of the settings but does work with the others as stated clearly in the owners manual. Engineers usually do things for a reason, and in this case, the reason may have to do with not compromising the Defog, Defrost, or Floor modes. It seems to me that, under some conditions, the Defrost & Defog modes need outside air to perform their functions properly.
If disabling recirculation is THAT important for Enclave designer (LOL), it can simply program it to stay on for one or two minutes, then off, that’ll be enough for me to get around the stinky cars.
I’m a engineer, always looking to improve. My post here is mainly for GM customer service to give input to the new E design team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cfedor said:
yepjimmy - do you even have the power button on for the HVAC system( i think that the power switch for the HVAC system is a dumb idea anyway for a vehicle), is your fan even blowing in any speed or mode?
Yes my fan is working fine, I think power button is necessary because in spring/fall, people usually don’t need the HVAC system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
The power switch for HVAC may be unnecessary, but the button on the lower right with the snowflake (*) that allows you to turn off the A/C compressor is, IMO, important. It allows you to run the system, when weather conditions allow, without the compressor, which saves wear and tear and improves fuel economy.

Many vehicles do not have a switch to turn off the compressor, so it runs whenever the system is on at any outside temperature above 39 degrees F. I don't think many people are aware of this switch and what it does.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
yepjimmy:

Is your system in "Auto" mode? If so that may have something to do with it (I'm not sure it makes a difference but it's worth a shot!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
Re: Re: Air (Recirculation) in Climate Control not working???

Turn. Off. Automatic. Climate. Control. It will work trust me.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,426 Posts
cfedor said:
bocoogto is correct. under ANY condition, the Defrost & Defog modes need outside air to perform their functions properly. If you were using your recirc on a defrost/defog mod, then the humidity (even just from occupants breath) would just fog the windows up even more. That is why it takes NATURAL outside air to dry out the humidity built up on the windows.
This is correct, but there are still times when I want to briefly prevent outside air from entering the cabin. I have been using my HVACs this way for the past few decades without issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
That's what the Recirculate button is for! Just be aware that recirculate won't work in three modes--Defog, Defrost, & Floor.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,426 Posts
It works in any mode in any other car that I've driven, and I would strongly prefer that the Enclave's HVAC system were programmed that way, too. I prefer to have more control, even if I have to be careful not to let the windows fog up when using "recirc" in certain modes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,088 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
It works in any mode in any other car that I've driven, and I would strongly prefer that the Enclave's HVAC system were programmed that way, too. I prefer to have more control, even if I have to be careful not to let the windows fog up when using "recirc" in certain modes.
Come to think of it. It did in any mode in my 00 Galant ES, and it does in my 02 Silhouette. I tried all modes in the E this afternoon and only had success when it was blowing out the dash vents in my face. Not in defrost, defrost/foot combo, foot etc. STRANGE!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,426 Posts
It is annoying in how it restricts the use of "recirc" to only certain modes, while other cars don't. Again, as already mentioned, outside air is needed for proper performance of the defrost modes, but there are times when I want to temporarily block outside air (such as an exhaust belching truck starting up from a traffic light) regardless of the current mode selection. I would prefer if GM would not "dictate" how the system should be used in the Enclave, and let me be the one to decide how I want to use the vents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,088 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
It is annoying in how it restricts the use of "recirc" to only certain modes, while other cars don't. Again, as already mentioned, outside air is needed for proper performance of the defrost modes, but there are times when I want to temporarily block outside air (such as an exhaust belching truck starting up from a traffic light) regardless of the current mode selection. I would prefer if GM would not "dictate" how the system should be used in the Enclave, and let me be the one to decide how I want to use the vents.
Agreed. :thumb: so the MAIN question is - Is there a PCM update to the programming that allows for it?
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top