EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,426 Posts
bocoogto said:
The power switch for HVAC may be unnecessary, but the button on the lower right with the snowflake (*) that allows you to turn off the A/C compressor is, IMO, important. It allows you to run the system, when weather conditions allow, without the compressor, which saves wear and tear and improves fuel economy.

Many vehicles do not have a switch to turn off the compressor, so it runs whenever the system is on at any outside temperature above 39 degrees F. I don't think many people are aware of this switch and what it does.
The "*" HVAC switch is one that I use frequently to prevent unnecessary A/C compressor use in colder weather; typically under 50o F. I have assumed that this was a well understood function, but you might be right about its under-use.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
It is annoying in how it restricts the use of "recirc" to only certain modes, while other cars don't. Again, as already mentioned, outside air is needed for proper performance of the defrost modes, but there are times when I want to temporarily block outside air (such as an exhaust belching truck starting up from a traffic light) regardless of the current mode selection. I would prefer if GM would not "dictate" how the system should be used in the Enclave, and let me be the one to decide how I want to use the vents.
:happy: They did, it's called the Traverse or Acadia's manual controls in lower trim levels. :D I agree, the auto climate is not what I thought it would be, and I much prefer it to be less complicated. I too keep mine off auto in the winter, mainly because in auto it forces you to use heat only on the floor (and maybe the floor and def), but I sometimes want that nice warm air blowing at my hands and face, but when you change the direction....auto goes off....that's been discussed a while back on another thread. That, and the fact the A/C comes on while in auto, like others have pointed outs . In the summer, I tend to try the auto more because I can have it on bi-level, I believe...now I'm questioning myself....and it seems to work fine for cooling.

Oh, and side note the probably doesn't have much to do with this, but just something to note....I was riding in a Kia Optima a little while back (you might remember my thread about it)....and as a front passenger, I could NOT get the temp where I wanted it for the hour's drive....was constantly turning it up or down, and my feet were almost always cold. It was not an auto system, and not dual either, just pointing out that some manual systems are a pain as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
cfedor said:
Come to think of it. It did in any mode in my 00 Galant ES, and it does in my 02 Silhouette. I tried all modes in the E this afternoon and only had success when it was blowing out the dash vents in my face. Not in defrost, defrost/foot combo, foot etc. STRANGE!!!
Indeed! imagine in the middle of crazy traffic and trying to explore the air circulation mode. Give me a break GM!

·
Premium Member
24,426 Posts
I agree that it can be unnecessarily distracting since more buttons need to be pressed to select an airflow option that will allow "recirc" to function. No other automatic HVAC that I've used has been so restricting. I hate getting rejected when I want "recirc", but see the three led flashes that indicate that my selection was overridden. Even in manual mode, the system still rejects "recirc" in the defrost modes. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I agree that it can be unnecessarily distracting since more buttons need to be pressed to select an airflow option that will allow "recirc" to function. No other automatic HVAC that I've used has been so restricting. I hate getting rejected when I want "recirc", but see the three led flashes that indicate that my selection was overridden. Even in manual mode, the system still rejects "recirc" in the defrost modes. :eek:hno:
Kind of like the old Seinfeld episode...."NO soup for you!" The climate control is scolding us with the flashing yellow light. :nono: "No recirculating for you!"

(anyone remember that episode ?) :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
yepjimmy said:
I wanted to post this for 2 years already, finally here. :angryfire:
When I’m driving behind a smoky vehicle, I usually always want to switch air to Recirculation. This is like the basic of all cars on street!
But enclave designers think they are smarter?! Decided to make this basic function nonfunctional!
Although it sometimes work on my car if I change air out of floor, defog, or defrosting modes. But now no matter what I do, the recirculation button will only blink 3 times and off. I don’t feel like going to the dealer for this because it cost my time and it’s close to my lease expiration. So if GM customer service can give me tip in this forum to solve this I’ll be happy. Otherwise they better fix this in 2014 model.

Btw I’m tech savvy and did read the manual:” The recirculation mode cannot be used with floor, defog, or defrosting modes. If recirculation is selected in these modes, the indicator flashes three times and turns off."[/color]

yepjimmy,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you are having with your Recirculation option in your Enclave. I understand you do not want to go to the dealership for this, but they are in the best position to get this issue addressed for you. I will pass your comments about this along to the proper department. I do appreciate your feedback. Please keep me posted on your concerns. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Buick Customer Service

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is unsafe or silly about this design in the Enclave? The Recirculate Mode won't work with three of the settings but does work with the others as stated clearly in the owners manual. Engineers usually do things for a reason, and in this case, the reason may have to do with not compromising the Defog, Defrost, or Floor modes. It seems to me that, under some conditions, the Defrost & Defog modes need outside air to perform their functions properly.
When you are trying to divert the bad air in a hurry while driving it is unsafe trying to push the combination of buttons to closeup the car, if you hit the recirculation button it should do the primary task and make the adjustments for you, either that or they should add a skunk button.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts