EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving in bumper to bumper traffic this morning I smelled some really nasty Diesel engine smoke coming out of truck I was behind for a while. I pushed the button to recirulate inside air and close the vent but the LED on the button blinked 2/3 times and let the vent opened. I tried it a few more times with similar results, this was really annoying (I wish this was mechincal, so I set it close all the time).

Not sure what prevented the vents from closing. May be there is some kind of smoke or CO dectector in the cabin which prevented it from closing due to high level of smoke or perhaps CO inside? I opened the windows as soon as I passed the truck to let the fresh air in, but even after that I wasn't able to close the vent. I have done it in the past so I know it works (or used to work).

Has anyone else have expeirenced the same or know the cause?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
coop said:
Driving in bumper to bumper traffic this morning I smelled some really nasty Diesel engine smoke coming out of truck I was behind for a while. I pushed the button to recirulate inside air and close the vent but the LED on the button blinked 2/3 times and let the vent opened. I tried it a few more times with similar results, this was really annoying (I wish this was mechincal, so I set it close all the time).

Not sure what prevented the vents from closing. May be there is some kind of smoke or CO dectector in the cabin which prevented it from closing due to high level of smoke or perhaps CO inside? I opened the windows as soon as I passed the truck to let the fresh air in, but even after that I wasn't able to close the vent. I have done it in the past so I know it works (or used to work).

Has anyone else have expeirenced the same or know the cause?
Yes, the exact thing happened to me yesterday on my way to work , got behind big construction truck. Pushed the recirculate button, it flashed and went off. My guess was that is was because I had the Automatic setting on for my climate control. I have not had time to check this theory, but I am planning on putting it on manual and trying the same thing, I bet that is the ticket. I also did not look in the manual to check it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Maybe you have it set for floor, defrost or defogging modes.
From the owners manual:

@(Recirculation): Press this button to turn the
recirculation mode on. When the button is pressed,
an indicator light comes on.
This mode keeps outside air from entering the vehicle.
It can be used to reduce outside air and prevent
odors from entering your vehicle. Recirculation also
helps to quickly cool the warmer air inside your vehicle.
The recirculation mode cannot be used with floor, defrost,
or defogging modes. If you try to select recirculation in
one of those modes, the indicator flashes three times and
turns off. The air conditioning compressor also comes on
when this mode is activated. While in recirculation mode
the windows may fog when the weather is cold and damp.
To clear the fog, select either the defog or defrost mode
and increase the fan speed.
Press the button again to turn off the recirculation mode.
It automatically turns off when the engine is turned off and
must be re-selected when the engine is turned on again.[/color]
Wayne
 
G

·
i was gunna say that but you beat me to it. :D

although i was just gunna say it wont work when its at your feet or defrost.

but now there gunna argue why gm did this and why wont it work at feet or defrost. :eek:hno:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If that is the case then it is a stupid design. Instead of programming to flash the LED 3 times, why not change direction of the air compatible with recirculation. That's how my Pathfinder is, when I press to recirculate it adjusts and selects the vents compaitble with recirculation mode, instead of blinking and denying my command.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
coop said:
If that is the case then it is a stupid design. Instead of programming to flash the LED 3 times, why not change direction of the air compatible with recirculation. That's how my Pathfinder is, when I press to recirculate it adjusts and selects the vents compaitble with recirculation mode, instead of blinking and denying my command.
I agree 100% I understand not working with defrost as recirculate makes your car fog up, but why not with the feet?????????????Stupid design if this is the case.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rollin Thunder + Black Bandit said:
like clock work, told you they would complain no matter what you told them
The point I am trying to make is that, I would like to concentrate on the road while I am driving, I don't wanna search for the buttons to change the air direction and find another tiny little button to start recirculation. It should a "One-button" shot to select what I want, to keep the eyes and attention on the road not on buttons.
 
G

·
well, it seems that yall nit pick at every thing we dont like and its a huge stupid thing that gm did wrong when really your just mad that they dont personalise vehicles to your own specifications.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rollin Thunder + Black Bandit said:
well, it seems that yall nit pick at every thing we dont like and its a huge stupid thing that gm did wrong when really your just mad that they dont personalise vehicles to your own specifications.
Well you will feel the pain once you move out of boondocks and live is a crowded city, with millions of cars. If I were driving it in my driveway I would have no problem sticking to it. As long as I am going to drive on the streets and freeways I will need to concentrate on the road and traffic.

Don't forget it was nit pick from people like us which got the sluggish tranmission fixed.
 
G

·
i drive all over, but it isn't that hard to push three buttons and keep a hand on the wheel.

1. fan
2. head.
3. recurc

not that hard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
This is a matter that I have been discussing with Buick since I got the Enclave.
Read the other thread on this issue. Air Conditioner - Fresh Air Button
in General Tech

After months of going back and forth, Buick came up with the lame excuse that the way the AC is set up it is so that the lines don't freeze up. They also said that this issue can be resolved by adjusting the air to only shoot at the head. The little guy in the picture with the arrow straight at him and none at the feet. Nice try, but this doesn't work either. The distraction of having to push the button to activate the recirculation is the same as having to answer a cell phone, an accident looking for a place to happen. one thing that really upset me was the comment from the Buick customer service: they don't read the forums because the issues being discussed are not documented and the people need to call Buick and document the complaints. Well,,,, I documented, took over 2 months of unnecessary delays and the problem still exists. Looks like GM is doing business as usual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,514 Posts
What? You gave GOT to be kidding me that people are complaining about this?????? What a bunch of whiners. Matters of preference that you don't like in how the "buttons" operate are not signs of "things as usual" at GM. I for one have NO PROBLEM with the way the A/C controls and recirc work. As far as I am concerned they are a HUGE improvement over older GM A/C controls.
 
G

·
ccaats said:
What? You gave GOT to be kidding me that people are complaining about this?????? What a bunch of whiners. Matters of preference that you don't like in how the "buttons" operate are not signs of "things as usual" at GM. I for one have NO PROBLEM with the way the A/C controls and recirc work. As far as I am concerned they are a HUGE improvement over older GM A/C controls.

THANKYOU!!

i bairly use recirc, and when i do its a simple button to press, no big deal, are we getting that lazy where its to hard to push a button, so when robots wash dishes and clean the house, its going to be an awful day when you acully have to lift a finger to turn the robot on, o please . :eek:hno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
ccaats said:
What? You gave GOT to be kidding me that people are complaining about this?????? What a bunch of whiners. Matters of preference that you don't like in how the "buttons" operate are not signs of "things as usual" at GM. I for one have NO PROBLEM with the way the A/C controls and recirc work. As far as I am concerned they are a HUGE improvement over older GM A/C controls.
OK, so these are a HUGE improvement over older GM A/C controls. Why did these improvements happen? I think they happened as GM got feedback from consumers and improved the controls. What exactly is wrong with expecting further improvements? I agree with Coop, in my other cars (foriegn as you may recall), when I pushed the recirculate button, the other controls compensated for that so that it actually recirculated when asked. I live in the country and there are certain farms that I do not wish to smell as I pass by and would appreciate reaching down and pushing one button to recirculate, not 3 or whatever it now takes.

I don't understand why you became so indignant over this issue, if things can be made better, they can be made better. I would rather have the recirculate button work automatically when I push one button then have my DIC tell me when it is 35 degrees outside, that there may be icy road conditions. In other words, with the amount of details and engineering in this vehicle, I think this is an oversite that should be addressed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,514 Posts
Hey bsox, "I'm back" ;D Just stirring it up as usual.

I have NO PROBLEM with "difference of opinion" in how the A/C controls work, but the statements or comments by some of the others here that GM can't compete, or "it's business as usual at GM" inferring that GM has made NO improvement over the years because of someone's "personal preference" differing with the way the engineers designed the car, are OUT OF LINE as far as I am concerned. I LIKE the way the controls work and have no problem with them. Now as far as the "air noise" coming out at higher fan speeds, I have an issue with that........but it doesn't mean GM doesn't have a clue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,662 Posts
ccaats said:
Hey bsox, "I'm back" ;D Just stirring it up as usual.

I have NO PROBLEM with "difference of opinion" in how the A/C controls work, but the statements or comments by some of the others here that GM can't compete, or "it's business as usual at GM" inferring that GM has made NO improvement over the years because of someone's "personal preference" differing with the way the engineers designed the car, are OUT OF LINE as far as I am concerned. I LIKE the way the controls work and have no problem with them. Now as far as the "air noise" coming out at higher fan speeds, I have an issue with that........but it doesn't mean GM doesn't have a clue.
Right, I agree that it should not be used as a condemnation of GM, but I always think there is room for improvement and when they stop considering our opinions, that is when the company can be blamed. You are more use to the controls and therefore are comfortable with how they work, me, coming from different brands, this recirculate issue does seem to be a little out of date. I understand it not working in defrost or defog modes as recirculate will make it worse, but explain to me why it doesn't work when the air flow is directed at the feet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,514 Posts
bsox said:
Right, I agree that it should not be used as a condemnation of GM, but I always think there is room for improvement and when they stop considering our opinions, that is when the company can be blamed. You are more use to the controls and therefore are comfortable with how they work, me, coming from different brands, this recirculate issue does seem to be a little out of date. I understand it not working in defrost or defog modes as recirculate will make it worse, but explain to me why it doesn't work when the air flow is directed at the feet?
Probably because the "air intake" for recirculation is in the lower part of the car and therefore would result in "short cycling recirc" of the air and not very good dispersion of the air in the vehicle for temp control. Just a theory, but I have no idea why. As far as I am concerned, GM has improved dramatically with the newer A/C controls because on my 2001 Pontiac there is NO recirc button and the only way to have recirc is with the control in "Max A/C" which is all face/upper outlets and A/C compressor on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
How do you justify having to smell the road diesel and other foul smells because the recirculator shuts off when someone in Detroit felt it should. When this happens, the temperature rises about 10 degrees and the outside air rushes into the car. Maybe you like the smell of tar and diesel fuel inside your auto, but there is no other car company today that has this ridiculous feature. This has nothing to do with the auto switch being ON. You have no idea what you are talking about. THERE IS NO WAY TO CONTROL IT MANUALLY!!!! By leaving the switches were the driver sets them makes the driver less of a button freak. Maybe you need to change your factory motto, as I understand your attitude is what drives buyers somewhere else. I have always purchased GM products, but it you represent the attitude of the people that built my Enclave, my next auto will not be a GM. You state that something silly like personal preference, guess what??? my personal comfort is why I purchase a particular automobile. If I knew ahead of time that the Enclave did this, I would have bought a Terraza again. If a cheap Pontiac Aztek stays where you put it, then a Buick should also
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The question is will it be a problem for you guys (who are happy with pushing 3 buttons) to make it a single button operation? I am not interviewing you to find out how often do you use it and whether you like it as is or not. I think making things simple to operate while you are driving is a good thing, may be bsox and I are talking too intellegently for you guys please let me know if you need further explanation ;D

I own my vehicle as much as you do and I dont like it the way it is. I am glad that you like it, but that doesn't mean anything to me.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top