EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: Enclave Recall

I just saw this myself. Perhaps Jessica can chime in here with some more specific information so we know if certain VIN numbers are affected.

·
Registered
795 Posts

1.2 million of the Lambda's. That's got to be pretty much everyone ever built. I'm guessing the profits aren't going to be very good this year after paying for these two big recalls, plus the criminal investigation going on with the ignition switches.

·
Registered
795 Posts

gostate said:
1.2 million of the Lambda's. That's got to be pretty much everyone ever built. I'm guessing the profits aren't going to be very good this year after paying for these two big recalls, plus the criminal investigation going on with the ignition switches.
from the local paper in Lansing.
GM is recalling some Acadias, Enclaves and Outlooks made during the 2008-09 model years and some 2009 Traverses. All 2010 Outlooks are being recalled, as are all 2010-13 Traverses, Enclaves and Acadias.
The Detroit automaker said it plans to take a $300 million charge in the first quarter related to all of the recalls.

·
Registered
169 Posts

I just called my dealer about the lambda recall and he indicated that the lambda recall is VIN specific. GM will send the owners of the VIN specific lambdas recall information in the mail with instructions on taking action. Unfortunately, the dealer is not doing any review/fixes of our airbag's wiring without the formal recall documentation we receive from GM.

Fortunately, the lambda recall is proactive and is not being driven by known airbag failures that reached the media.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts

Not sure why this is VIN specific, considering all Lambdas have side air bags. :-\ Our light had come on a few times during our ownership, but has never stayed on. Why couldn't this recall have been announced a couple weeks ago so I could have had it done when we had the strut repaired? :mad:

But still no recall on the wave plates....really makes me scratch my head. :eyebrow:

·
Registered
5,938 Posts

Those vehicles have a warning light that reads "Service Air Bag." If a customer ignores the light it can eventually result in the non-deployment of the air bags and other safety features in case of a side impact collision.

I don't understand why, if the dummy light for the airbag was ON, why would you IGNORE it and not take it in to have it fixed.

I don't understand what this recall even is supposed to do for me? You know, if the dummy light for service airbag comes ON, then I will take it in. But, in the meantime, what is wrong with it? It seems to be working fine to me.... Or am I not seeing something?

·
Registered
6,825 Posts

cfedor said:
Those vehicles have a warning light that reads "Service Air Bag." If a customer ignores the light it can eventually result in the non-deployment of the air bags and other safety features in case of a side impact collision.

I don't understand why, if the dummy light for the airbag was ON, why would you IGNORE it and not take it in to have it fixed.

I don't understand what this recall even is supposed to do for me? You know, if the dummy light for service airbag comes ON, then I will take it in. But, in the meantime, what is wrong with it? It seems to be working fine to me.... Or am I not seeing something?
:ditto:

·
Registered
5,938 Posts

To repair the condition, dealers will remove the driver and passenger side air bag wiring harness connectors and splice and solder the wires together.???

What wires do they solder together or splice? This absolutely makes no sense to me. Wouldn't this render them useless?

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts

Does anyone have a clue about how the tech will access the wire harness? Will the inside door panel need to be removed and reassembled? I would not be too happy about that because I can picture a resulting misalignment or rattle. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
6,825 Posts

GoldEnclave said:
Does anyone have a clue about how the tech will access the wire harness? Will the inside door panel need to be removed and reassembled? I would not be too happy about that because I can picture a resulting misalignment or rattle. :eek:hno:
Door panel? Wouldn't it be a sensor under the seat? :shrug:

·
Registered
5,938 Posts

JerseyDevil said:
Solder wires together? This sounds like a recipe for trouble. I think i'll wait until after the "techs" have many recalls under their belt.
:thumb:
I don't even think I will go in even then......

·
Registered
299 Posts

With that many vehicles involved, seems like it would make more sense to build an adapter that goes between the two connectors and makes the connection between those two wires. Just unplug, add the adapter, replug, done. As opposed to relying on over a million solder joints being done right. Sounds like a hack job.

·
Registered
440 Posts

cfedor said:
?
Human nature, some people are cheap and lazy.

·
Registered
169 Posts

I agree that this recall sounds like a recipe for disaster. I would not trust my tech to splice & solder wires together as a fix. This could lead to many repeat trips to the dealer due to either;

1) incomplete or incorrectly spliced and/or soldered wires,
2) collateral damage to other parts/components during the fix (good luck getting to the dealer to admit to this mistake),
3) splicing & soldering the wrong wires,
4) the fix not working.

Of course these issues may not come to light until we're unfortunately in an accident where our airbags don't deploy, which would be too late. If either of these four happen, then the issue immedately escalates to at the least new plug & play airbag harnesses (if they even exist) and at the worst new wiring installation the latter of which requires electrical expertise. Your average dealer technician is not an electrician, and if the electrician (usually 1-2 per dealership) is swamped with other recalls, guess whose going to be doing the job on your Enclave...yep, the non-electrician tech.

I would suggest that until you receive the 'Service Air Bag' warning, don't respond to the recall because recalls last for many years.

·
Registered
414 Posts

This is interesting as several months ago the Airbag light come on in our E. It never went off so I took it to the dealer. I don't remember the exact fix but I thought they did tell me they had to fix the harness the connects the airbag and the seat. I will have to check my paperwork. My wife was all freaked out that the airbag would go off when she was driving or that the side impact bags would go off while the kids were in the back. We were told that the warring light was to let us know that the bags may not inflate if there were an accident.

·
Registered
250 Posts

I just called my dealer to make an appointment to get this fixed, and she informed me that GM hasn't released it to them yet. Apparently it took GM a month to release the Ignition Switch recall to them. I guess I'll have to wait. . . .

1 - 20 of 207 Posts