EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

Have had our Enclave for 6 months and have nothing but good things to say about it except for the air bags.

Wife "nudged" into the rear of a stopped car last week. Probably was not going more than 3-5 MPH. Slight damage to chrome strip on bumper. However BOTH airbags went off which broke the windshield, cracked the dash, disabled both seat belts, et cetera.

Cost to repair ... $5000.

I can understand the safety aspect of airbags and am glad that there were no injuries to anyone in either car. However, shouldn't these things be going off only at greater than 15-20 MPH if your seat belts are fastened?

Anyone else experience problems with these airbags going off too easily?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I didn't think the airbags are supposed to deploy at that low of an impact either. Is your wife alright? The airbags can leave some nasty facial burns and abrasions.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Wow. The Insurance Institute Highway Safety crashes most cars/suv's bumpers, in a 6 MPH frontal and 3MPH corner bumper crash test. But Suv don't have to meet Gov requirements yet! We've all seen these tests on TV. Never yet saw a bag deploy at 6MPH test! Unfortunately, I couldn't find a test for the bumpers on Enclave/Acadia/Outlook yet.

Seems more likely the crash may have been a higher 10-15 MPH speed. Hate to tell you, but the Black Box knows! Dealer can get a readout of speed, brake pedal pressure and which accessories were on at time of crash!! Sure you want to ask?

Sorry for your troubles. :-[

PS........NHTSA tests show all around excellent protection with air bag deployment........so she was very safe! :thumb:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Boy, that's a shame, glad everyone is okay. Was the car on ice or snow, or was she on dry pavement? I have seen bags go off when someone stops short while turning, and it usually isn't even a high enough speed where they could tell how fast they were going on the speedo. Supposedly they factor in seat position, passenger weight, belt usage, etc. Guess that's what the "Black Box" is for....

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Tralfaz said:
Boy, that's a shame, glad everyone is okay. Was the car on ice or snow, or was she on dry pavement? I have seen bags go off when someone stops short while turning, and it usually isn't even a high enough speed where they could tell how fast they were going on the speedo. Supposedly they factor in seat position, passenger weight, belt usage, etc. Guess that's what the "Black Box" is for....
Hi Tralfaz. Boy, "while turning" ?? Without hitting something?? That's scary stuff! You must see alot, working at a dealer. Is it true that Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity?? ;)

This life-saving, new millennium technology, will be the death of us yet! ;) ;D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts