EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday, April 17, 2015 was the last time for me to clock into work ;D

On 2 weeks holidays, but am officially retired after 38 years.

I think all the detailing work I was going to pay to have done on my Enclave, will be done by me now.

Will have my own little computer repair business up and running soon.

I don't remember what sleeping in is like.

Another chapter begins :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
:cheers: Congratulations!

:dancing: Now, you can celebrate your hard work over the years.

:sleepy: Now, you can sleep in all you want.

·
Registered
881 Posts
kent, it you turn out like I did, it will be 2 to 3 years before you stop waking and getting up at 6:00 AM, or occasionally earlier.

Congratulations, none the less.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the kind words.

It does feel weird though.

tempted to say to a few of my close friends ... work tomorrow? ha, ha, not me ;D

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Try moving! I retired late last year, and we are moving. From a 2500 SqFt home to a 1200 sqft home - already completely furnished! Downsizing is tough, especially when the new home is already full! We are exhausted, and somehow, retirement doesn't seem so easy right now! :happy: :happy:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
It's quite an accomplishment, congrats!

Those of us just starting out with kids have it rough...projections with working until 77, etc. (we all know the 35 y.o. SVP's ain't gonna allow that, in fact most places have policies in place that at 58, the door is in your future, at 59, you are shown where it is :happy:).

Our neighbors have been retired for a while and are the nicest people you can meet. They see me out there trying to saw wood, and out comes the Stihl. Or any other assistance we might need. I'd like to think retirement brings out the good in folks! So enjoy! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Welcome to the club, kenthurgood! I have been retired for over 9 years now and have enjoyed every minute of it so far. Even now though, there are never enough hours in the day.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
rockyp said:
Try moving! I retired late last year, and we are moving. From a 2500 SqFt home to a 1200 sqft home - already completely furnished! Downsizing is tough, especially when the new home is already full! We are exhausted, and somehow, retirement doesn't seem so easy right now! :happy: :happy:
Oh, poor baby... :p

·
Registered
556 Posts
Congratulations on your retirement. I enjoy it so much I wish I would have done it 40 years earlier! :happy:

We left OH winters and were Snowbirds for a few years and decided to move permanently to FL. Love it and have never regretted it. I can drive the convertibles year round and never have to shovel snow again! All the best on your new endeavors!

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Congratulations for your retirement.
This is my first month of retirement myself, and I find I am busier than when I was working. I have a long delayed list of things to do, such as painting my house in and out, landscaping work, rebuilding my deck, and doing some detail work on the fleet. I had my roof replaced this month, 29 years old and losing shingles at every windstorm. By the time I am done, the house should be ready to sell in about 10 years. Right now the market is red hot near me, houses in my neighborhood are selling in a few weeks at near asking price. Being on a direct NYC rail and bus line are a big factor. Far enough away from the city but just close enough for easy (relatively speaking) commuting.
I am retired at 58, not by choice, but I look at it as a positive change in my life. I had been fed up with all the corporate BS, and now I am way less stressed, but way more tired.
As far as moving from a 2500sf house to something smaller......not while my wife is still working in New York City. I could downsize the house, but would WAY UPSIZE the garage. The property taxes in NJ are very high, my house is over $12000. I might see myself moving west to PA.

MRBUICK

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
MRBUICK, I would consider PA, too. I love Bucks County, but it is NJ-like expensive. My townhouse's annual property taxes run almost $10,500, and that's with zero outdoor property. NJ is scary expensive, and the economy sucks.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Congrats, Kenthurgood. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
My wife's aunt does not want to retire...she had a forced retirement from a Wall St. bank after 20 years. It got drawn out where she was needed so she worked almost 3 more years. Even flew to India to train the replacements for her dept. Then one day, the hammer dropped, her 32 y.o. bosses decided it's time to part ways (salary/benefit considerations). She was depressed and I feel for her, she resorted to getting a life insurance license and took a job at a financial co. (sales, get the series 7, series 66, blah blah blah--these are easy for someone with her background).

After nearly 10 mos. of trying to sell financial products (stuff nobody needs), she caught a break and got a job at #1. Had to make the trek to Queens. While working there, caught another break and got a job at a London bank? Full benefits, same salary as originally, 5 weeks vacation, and day one health care (but she doesn't need it, gets health care for life through the original employer).

So she is like 62 and wants to work until 67. In the meantime, property values are booming again, I think due to the transit to Manhattan, McMansions are going up left and right and her small house is on a corner, prime for one of those developers to come in and buy it, as they bought kitty corner already. I think she might live in the same town as Mr Buick does, and if so, that property value is sure to go up. Moving to PA you'll have 50% of the equity left when all is said and done. But personally, if it were me, I would not worry about 10-15k in property taxes, I would hold on to the house as long as I could....

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
MRBUICK, I would consider PA, too. I love Bucks County, but it is NJ-like expensive. My townhouse's annual property taxes run almost $10,500, and that's with zero outdoor property. NJ is scary expensive, and the economy sucks.
Some of the homes in my neighborhood have taxes in the $18-20K range........I guess I am getting by cheap?

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
MRBUICK said:
Some of the homes in my neighborhood have taxes in the $18-20K range........I guess I am getting by cheap?
The new homes that were being built in 2006 were asking 1.6 mil, but had a selling point that the taxes were "only" 18k. They reuse the existing foundation and somehow get around it....during the bust these homes were selling for 900k--we couldn't have known it then, but what a bargain it would have been to get one at that price. I think some of the new ones know are well over 22k....and to think in TX these are 250k homes...or Nevada....when you think about it, the majority of the McMansions are on odd lots and the cars pull in, in an odd fashion. Without a corner lot, they cannot be designed nicely. Which is why my wife's aunt feels her home will be purchased by a developer for a prime $$$$, it's inevitable....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts