EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a little confused on the allotment subject.

I have always understood that a customer purchasing a new vehicle from a dealer with money down and signing paperwork on the agreed amount would always have priority against dealer allotments (used to put new vehicles on their lot for walk-in buyers) but after reading several of the comments by other enclave forum members this does not seem to be holding true.

Or, is it that those that have been waiting many weeks and months were not customers who actually put money down and did not sign paperwork but made a verbal agreement with the dealer that if they ordered a vehicle with specific options and colors, they would be interested in leasing or purchasing once the vehicle was delivered to the dealer with no strings attached before hand. Could this be the reason that the allotments are coming into play because they actually are dealer allotments in the GM system rather than actual purchases assigned to a name/address of a person. Can someone clarify this for me?

I personally ordered an Enclave on July 14 and within a week was told by my dealer that the GM system showed that I have a build date of August 27. I did order the CXL, white-diamond, lux pkg, convenience pkg, ent# 3, chrome wheels. So as you can see I did order some of the items that have been on the contricted list but still was lucky enough to receive a build date within a week of ordering. I'm just curious as to why some of us are having the allotment issues and some of us are not unless I just got lucky with my dealer and "allotments".

Even though I have a tentative build date, I still am very impatient about when actual delivery will be so I can honestly feel your pain (well not everyone's pain since so many have been waiting for quite a long time). I thank all of you for your insightfulness on this forum and have learned so much from all of you.

Thanks and good luck on your Enclave orders.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I swear we all think alike on this site!!! ;D
Had the same question today!!!! :thumb:

Ordered my Enclave on July 21. Put a down payment down and they have not cashed it either.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My bet is that your dealer had an allotment slot he could use to get youre vehicle in the VOMS system immediately when you placed your order.

I placed my order June 12, with luxury but without white diamond, otherwise similar to yours but with ent #4 instead of #3. I put money down, and signed paperwork on the agreed price. The order was placed as a "sold" order billed directly to my address.

I have still not received a build date, and my latest communication from my dealer suggests that I probably won't be assigned a build date until the end of August at the very earliest... and the actual build date could be a couple of weeks after that.

It is possible that some dealers are screwing customers that didn't have their orders placed as sold and billed to a customer address, but that can't be the only factor. Between you and I, the only reasonable explanation for why your order was accepted by GM so much faster than mine (1 week vs. 12 weeks) is the dealers involved, and the allotment slots they had available with which to place orders.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Still waiting for a May 5 order, Red Jewel - No build date assigned. All I have to say is something has to be up??? GM needs to fill customer orders by date first. With this type of forum available to everyone - Word travels very FAST[/color]. :blob:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I will try to explain the issues. First a few definintions.

GM VOMS - General Motors Vehicle Order Management System
The online ordering system your dealership uses to order new vehicles.
The orders can be for customers or to provide inventory stock for the dealership.

SOLD Order - An custom order placed for a customer with specific options, colors, etc.
They are considered a SOLD order if you paid a deposit when you ordered.
When this vehicle comes into the dealership it is for the person having ordered it and paid their deposit.

Dealer Stock - A vehicle ordered without a paying customer leaving a deposit.
This is bought by the dealership on speculation that they will be able to sell it to a walk-in customer.

Allotment - "the act of distributing by allotting or apportioning; distribution according to a plan"
Dealership get allocated a portion of the new vehicle production for the month.
Dealers get rated based on past sales and get allotments based on these past sales.
Allotments or Allotment Slots are used by the dealer in the GM VOMS to indicate which vehicle they want built next.
Allotments can be used for SOLD Orders or Dealer Stock.

Status Code 1100 - This is the intial status when an order is input into the GM VOMS.
This basically indicates that order is entered correctly and does not violate the rules around possible options for a particular vehicle.
The order will stay at Status Code 1100 until the dealership uses one of their allotment to push the order to the next level.

Status Code 2000 - This is the status you will receive once the dealer has used one of their allocation to have your vehicle built.
It now is up to GM as to when the vehicle will make it onto the production line.

So in a nutshell there are 2 things that will affect how fast you get your vehicle.
The first is the dealership and their number of allocations.
If the dealer takes 5 SOLD Orders but only has 2 Allocations then only 2 of the SOLD Orders can be built for that Dealer until they get more allocation.

The second is GM and their production capability.
Once the dealer uses one of their Allocation Slots to indicate which of their orders (SOLD or Dealer Inventory) to build it is up to GM to build the vehicle.

Some of us did not know this when we ordered and paid our deposits. We did not know that the dealer took more orders than they had allocation slots available.
Therefore our orders sat in GM VOMS waiting until the dealership got more allocation slots and designated yours to be the next lucky order to move on in the process.

Also some less than reputable dealerships have been putting Dealer Stock Orders ahead of SOLD Orders.
The idea is that a SOLD order is already sold. They hope that another vehicle in Dealer Stock will give them another sale.

The last issue is that dealerships are not telling the customer that they don't have allocation to get the SOLD order moving forward at GM. And once the order is placed
they are not giving accurate information about people's status codes.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thank you for the insightful explanation. It does appear to me the dealer can be selfish about the allotment and VOMS. And they are not about to tell the customer he is on hold because of a decision they made. Furthermore, every dealer in this fair country will tell you they outsell all the dealers in their vicinity. Hands down. So when we choose our local dealership because we want to service our car there and want a good relationship, we don't realize we are much more loyal to them than they to us. Hmmmmmmm. Doesn't that beat all!

As an afterthought, the Enclave is a good 10 grand cheaper than the Acura MDX and probably better. Do you suppose GM has realized it could have set the prices several thousand dollars higher and still be able to sell all they can produce? At least for now, anyway.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If Buick raises the price there are other vehicles that they will have to compete with in the higher price category. This is something that they would not and should not do.
First of all if they did I would not buy it because of the cost. Second if I could pay the increased cost I would probably by a Mercedes-Benz R Class and then I could understand what it really means to be treated like a customer and appreciated for buying their product. GM has never shown this ability that I am aware of.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Buick has had the older repeat buyers forever and probably never has to go out of their way to appease. Afterall, we have watched GM flounder for years until the Asians got a foothold and then was surprised to see them get so good. Now America is paying more attention to them than to GM. Look at Toyota with all of its recalls and they still outsell everybody on the planet.

I'm like you. The Enclave is a nice vehicle for the money. Any higher and I'm doing something else. May anyway if my order doesn't get filled pretty soon. Now 31 days and counting.

·
Registered
743 Posts
sunny said:
Hi,

I am a little confused on the allotment subject.

I have always understood that a customer purchasing a new vehicle from a dealer with money down and signing paperwork on the agreed amount would always have priority against dealer allotments (used to put new vehicles on their lot for walk-in buyers) but after reading several of the comments by other enclave forum members this does not seem to be holding true.

Or, is it that those that have been waiting many weeks and months were not customers who actually put money down and did not sign paperwork but made a verbal agreement with the dealer that if they ordered a vehicle with specific options and colors, they would be interested in leasing or purchasing once the vehicle was delivered to the dealer with no strings attached before hand. Could this be the reason that the allotments are coming into play because they actually are dealer allotments in the GM system rather than actual purchases assigned to a name/address of a person. Can someone clarify this for me?

I personally ordered an Enclave on July 14 and within a week was told by my dealer that the GM system showed that I have a build date of August 27. I did order the CXL, white-diamond, lux pkg, convenience pkg, ent# 3, chrome wheels. So as you can see I did order some of the items that have been on the contricted list but still was lucky enough to receive a build date within a week of ordering. I'm just curious as to why some of us are having the allotment issues and some of us are not unless I just got lucky with my dealer and "allotments".

Even though I have a tentative build date, I still am very impatient about when actual delivery will be so I can honestly feel your pain (well not everyone's pain since so many have been waiting for quite a long time). I thank all of you for your insightfulness on this forum and have learned so much from all of you.

Thanks and good luck on your Enclave orders.
Sunny,you're lucky, and I wish you the best.
I ordered White Diamond, CXL, Loaded, Chrome Wheels, Ent#4, AWD on May 18th. My order hasn't been picked up by GM....Seems like a wide range of consistency.

·
Registered
122 Posts
31 days, thats no big deal compared to others. I am at 60. My vehicle is supposed to be made last week in August and delivered in early-september. The old adage good things come to those who wait applies here.
My wife and I looked at the majority of 7 passenger vehicles at the DC auto show in January. At the time we could only look at the Outlook and Acadia. The Enclave was displayed but for eyes only. The Enclave is a great value if you value space,fuel economy,quite ride,ingress and egress,luxury,safety,reliability,seating comfort. There is not another 7 passenger CUV that meets or exceeds the Enclave in all of these categories.
Sure the MDX might handle better but it gets worse MPG,requires prem. gas, you have to be a gymnast to get to the third row which is a joke in terms of space and by the way can only access it from the passenger side.
On the surface the only real competitor is a fully loaded sienna. But hey that approaches or is at 40K as well fully loaded with HID,NAV, DVD.

·
Registered
221 Posts
budi,

Everything you say is right. Downsizing from a Denali is also difficult. Had it almost 6 years with hardly any trouble and then sold it for a pretty good $$. Just got tired of climbing up into it. The evasive Enclave was a good choice, but unwilling to wait 4 months plus to get it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Rocketman,
I would look into the dual-mode tahoe/yukon if my 1) my wife would be comfortable driving it and 2) was around 42K nicely equipped. I don't think the price of the vehicle will be close to what I am willing to spend so I don't even
add it to the consideration list. I think it will be a very popular choice so there will not be any incentives to make it worth it. I heard now that the dual-mode has 40% better city fuel economy than the standard version up from the originally listed 25% improvement.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Just ask to see the entry of your order and have them show you the allotment and the status.

If they indicate it is confidential ask them what is confidential? then show me everything that is not. It's my order to GM is it not?

I can be a pain if I put my mind to it...... :beer:

·
Registered
577 Posts
How often are allotments updated? Weekly, Monthly?

If I have 4/month when will that change? Or do you get so many per week?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Allotments can be updated weekly, but not every dealership will get additional allocations every week.

·
Registered
184 Posts
my dealer said he has 2 allocations a month.
Now, what is a large amount and what is not? Two sounds like a very low number?

·
Registered
180 Posts
NOLA Saints said:
My dealer said they get like 12 a month. Snell Buick in Dallas, TX.
Dang, that is a lot. My dealer said they get two a month as well here in Humble (Houston) TX. They currently havent received any of their July or August allotments however. Mine was a part of the July allotment and ordered the 15th of June.

·
Registered
743 Posts
budi said:
Rocketman,
I would look into the dual-mode tahoe/yukon if my 1) my wife would be comfortable driving it and 2) was around 42K nicely equipped. I don't think the price of the vehicle will be close to what I am willing to spend so I don't even
add it to the consideration list. I think it will be a very popular choice so there will not be any incentives to make it worth it. I heard now that the dual-mode has 40% better city fuel economy than the standard version up from the originally listed 25% improvement.
:confused:budi, I think you directed this to the wrong Person. 8)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts