EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been working with the same salesman for about a month now. We've went in three different times (one just looking, one to take a test drive, one to see what they give for a trade-in on our existing vehicle). He has given me a trade-in value for our vehicle, as well as told me that the sticker price is what we will get our Enclave for. Since that time, I have learned that my hubby's friend is willing to offer us the GM "Friends and Family" discount that he has (don't know a lot about them, other than that they are limited, and this guy is willing to share his 'limited' discount with us). Hubby seems to think this will get us a nice discount (5-10%). Will this insult the salesman for us to bring this into the picture now, even though we just learned about it? Does it affect his commission?? Will it impact the trade-in that they are willing to offer???? I realize the dealership has to make something off every sale............it just seems like another discount would eat into their profits somewhere. I'm not sure what to do! If we would have known about the discount on the front end I wouldn't have felt bad, but we didn't and now I am feeling like I am cheating them by bringing it up now.

Any advice???

SM

·
Registered
410 Posts
Who cares if you insult the salesman?

He is not your friend. He is selling you a car. It's a job. Nothing more. Besides, anyone who will only offer sticker price is very much NOT your friend! You can do better.

If you feel bad, ask him if he will also match the price. If he will not, walk away.

And don't worry about how much money he makes. A dealer will never sell a car if they do not perceive it is to be to their advantage.

[Note that I am not advocating being mean or rude to sales critters. They are people too. Most of them at least. But negotiating a price? That's just business.]

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I've been there! I know the guy works for a living and spent some time with you, but that's the nature of his job. No guarantees. Be polite (as I know you will!) and truthful with the turn of events. Tell him you haven't bought yet cause the price he offered you was beyond your budget. But, now, with new development, in respect of his time spent, you wish to offer him the deal!

He may not do a cartwheel from happiness (like that silly Kia salesman in commercial now running!!) but will at least respect your candor.

As jbradfor says, if he cops an attitude, walk. If he does the deal, buy him a bottle of wine for being a true professional. Even Babe Ruth knew he wouldn't hit a homer, every time! :thumb:

PS......give your friend a bigger bottle too!!! ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will he still get at least SOME commission??? I feel like he may be getting ZERO out of it if the discount winds up being so good. That is why I am concerned. He has spent a lot of time with us to get zero (and believe me, I never want to pay more for anything than I have to pay :-*

SM

·
Registered
405 Posts
OH, the dealership DEFINITELY gets a commission for selling a vehicle thru friends and family. Don't you worry! I am unsure what the amount is, but GM gives them a certain amount. And remember even when a dealer makes NO MONEY from a sale (like selling a vehicle below invoice) they STILL make money because they get bonuses for the amount of vehicles sold in a months time. That is why you can sometimes get a really great deal at the end of the month, the dealership just needs that one sale to put them in bonus territory.
Keep us posted and do NOT feel bad. Even here in NJ I was able to find a better deal than Sticker price (although that is what many dealers were getting).

·
Registered
83 Posts
soccermommyabc said:
Will he still get at least SOME commission??? I feel like he may be getting ZERO out of it if the discount winds up being so good. That is why I am concerned. He has spent a lot of time with us to get zero (and believe me, I never want to pay more for anything than I have to pay :-*

SM
I am purchasing my Enclave thru the employee price (which is even less than the friend and family or otherwise known supplier price). I was told that the dealer makes $100 on employee price. Not 100% sure this is the same everywhere. Likely the dealer would make more on the friends and family price. I agree with the above statements. Keep in mind it is possible the dealer with say they wont accept the friends and family price. If that happens you will have to find another dealer, most accept but some refuse which apparently they have the option to do.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Friends and family isn't always as cheap as the deal you get from the dealer, especially if you were going to use GM card rebates. However, GM pays the dealer a decent amount when buying through the plan, so the salesman probably gets as much as if you didn't use the plan.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When you see your trade-in on their used car lot priced $3000 higher than they paid you for it, believe me you won't be worrying about the dealer or salesman going broke...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I totally agree with buckeye about them stiffing you on the trade in. Buick was pretty fair with our Lexus trade in, the Cadillac folks were downright insulting. Between the two Lexus vehicle we traded in, Buick gave us almost $6,000 more than Cadillac was trying to offer us.

My wife works for a large corporation and we got the GM Supplier discount on both our vehicles. The salesman still received commission even though we got great deals on both our Enclaves. Believe me, you should only be worried about your pocket book, not some salesperson making a commission. All the things you stated he did is simply his job and they have to play along many times. I remember when we bought our Lexus vehicles we told the dealership we found another dealer about 80 miles away that was gave us a certain price in writing that was much less than what they offered and if they wanted our business they would match that price. Lastly, let your husband do the talking, I'm sure he won't feel as bad as you about the salesman losing his commission to save you several thousand dollars. Just ask your self who you want to come out ahead, you or them?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Use my wife's philosophy when buying a car, "Someone is going to walk away from this deal crying...it might as well be him!"

Secondly, it's a free market in this country and if you get a better deal somewhere else, that's your perogative to go there. It's the NICE thing to tell the current dealer you've got a good price and offer to stick around if he can match it (or beat it). And Sticker (or MSRP) is a horrible price, although the Enclave is one of the few cars that can consistently fetch it. Still, plenty of people get below MSRP and I'm waiting until I can get near invoice!

When dealing in cars or homes, check emotions at the door.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We bought our Enclave with supplier pricing. We had a very tough time finding one back in the fall. Spoke at length with about 7 dealers- called many more than that across 4 states. Some wanted invoice. Some tried to sell us ones left over from PGA events with significant mileage with little discount. We finally found a dealer with one in stock we were interested in. We first negotiated a price then asked if they would take supplier pricing- so that we could compare the two. The supplier pricing was better. After we had the two prices to compare we spoke about our trade in. They gave an offer we found to be insulting. We opted to keep our car rather than practically give it to them. The one thing we might have done differently was get a trade in price first. I think when they knew what they were going to sell the car for they were not going to be at all generous with the trade in.

Love the car, ultimately had a pretty good dealer experience but the overall buying experience from start to finish was not at all fun.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Excellent story, jjags That's about the way it goes MOST of the time. I once heard a salesman, yelling at someone on the phone, while I sat there........"this is a HOT car! You can take the deal or leave it!".

After a minute or two, he said, "what are we having for dinner , MOM? " ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
soccermommyabc said:
I had a really great salesman at the local Buick-Pintiac-Cadillac-GMC dealer
I knew the dealer cost on the Enclave, and the Kelly Blue Book trade in price for my Pacifica.

They discounted the Enclave price considerably, and gave me more than Kelly BB for my trade.
They told me if I ordered the Enclave, back in July, they would reduce the trade price by $500.

That was cheap to drive the Pacifica for 2 months.

It helped that we have a 20 year relationship with this 16 dealer group, as they always take good care of us. ;D

·
Registered
344 Posts
soccermommy, YOU are too nice!!!! :angel: I think this is the first time I've heard someone say they're worried they're cheating their car salesman! :happy: How often do you think that car salesmen are less than honest with their customers? I'm thinking I would go for the BEST deal you can and put away your worries about the salesman's feelings or the dealership's profits. Believe me they can take care of themselves. I hope you work a great deal. You're going to love your Enclave! Congrats! ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Halle's mom said:
soccermommy, YOU are too nice!!!! :angel: I think this is the first time I've heard someone say they're worried they're cheating their car salesman! :happy: How often do you think that car salesmen are less than honest with their customers? I'm thinking I would go for the BEST deal you can and put away your worries about the salesman's feelings or the dealership's profits. Believe me they can take care of themselves. I hope you work a great deal. You're going to love your Enclave! Congrats! ;) ;)
Gee Halle's mom, you sure have gotten tough since dealing on your Enclave! Them car dealers'll do that to you, won't they?! Don't worry about the salesman/dealer...they won't sell a car without getting something out of the deal.[/color] :angel:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hee hee, you are correct! I love to haggle, in fact I did the negotiating on the last 2 cars we bought. My husband just shook his head when he thought the deal was done and I squeezed another thousand out of 'em for our trade in when we bought his truck. I must have learned my "skill" in Mexico, buying chicklets and jewelry from the beach vendors! lol. :happy: :happy:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Halle's mom said:
Hee hee, you are correct! I love to haggle, in fact I did the negotiating on the last 2 cars we bought. My husband just shook his head when he thought the deal was done and I squeezed another thousand out of 'em for our trade in when we bought his truck. I must have learned my "skill" in Mexico, buying chicklets and jewelry from the beach vendors! lol. :happy: :happy:
Nice going. I wish more people would get the lowest price for everything they buy.When I started looking for my Enclave I went to 5 Dealerships and got the there best price.Every place I went the price was different.The lowest price I got was $1800 cheaper than the rest.There's always a way to get them to drop the price especially when there hurting for sales.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Halle's mom said:
I must have learned my "skill" in Mexico, buying chicklets and jewelry from the beach vendors! lol. :happy: :happy:
Isn't that the truth. Spend a week or two with those people and you will SURELY improve your negotiating skills. I was pretty impressed with the haggling skills of many of said vendors! It also helps if you have a sales background. Much easier to understand if you are leaving $$ on the table. All a matter of how bad they want the sale :cheers:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts