EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We try not to put our vehicles thru ****, but the replacement for our Ford Expedition will have to cope with High Water that floods several intersections on the only road home during heavy rains. We're not foolish enough to venture into flowing water, but the only danger in these placid puddles is the embarassment of being rescued and the cost of rebuilding an engine after a water induction event. The SUVs we've driven for the past 30 years have all been up to the task, and we're reluctant to compromise that capability. The Mercedes GL450 (my wife's first choice) advertises a more-than-adequate fording depth of almost two feet, and the Hummer H3 and Land Rover make similar claims. I hope none of you have found the Enclave's limits the hard way, but I would appreciate hearing from any of the Buick or GM insiders as to what the design criteria was in this area.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't have any info to add about your question. I would however note that the GL and the H3 are a different class of vehicle. The Enclave makes no claim at all to have any "off-road" ability. The AWD system is more of an inclement weather safety system, "let's not get stuck in this snow" and not a "let's see if we can forge that creek" system. That is where the H3 and the GL will certainly shine. When it comes to ride quality, passenger comfort, etc., I beleive that the Enclave will compete very well. It is all a matter of what you want your ride to do for you. Good luck in your quest. :thumb:

G

·
if you think your going to encounter that alot, i would put a snorkel on the engine, i have done that to my yukon to atleast save the engine if i do get in to deep, i would also get the climate control system sealed so that no water can leak in through there, and if your really adventurous i would get larger tires and a lift kit. maybe even 3 inch lift kit. i have been through deep puddles (6-8) and have had no trouble but thats not a constant driving its for 2 seconds.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Absolutely agree, xrayman, and while we would prefer a 2-speed transfer case and locking center diff we don't need true off-road capability in this vehicle. Been there and done that, beginning more than 40 years ago with an ancient CJ3 and a first generation Bronco.

At the risk of being evicted from the forum, we're looking at the Enclave as a luxurious all wheel drive mini-van alternative with a bit of extra ground clearance and bad weather capability. The H3 and LR don't have comfortable seating for 7 and aren't really in the mix. The GL is an incredible vehicle that drives almost like an S Class Benz on road and - if ordered with the off-road package - feels like it could tackle the Rubicon Trail. It's hard, however, to justify the $25 K price differential when an Enclave (or one of the Lambda siblings) will do nearly as well. I just need a little higher comfort level when I plow into that flooded intersection....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Oldtimerfan said:
just need a little higher comfort level when I plow into that flooded intersection....
OK, some things you can do:

1) Establish Lambda's ground clearance to the point you are worried about (transmission, doorsill, whatever). Check both Enclave and Acadia separately, the latter is styled more like a "truck" See how wheel & tire choice will affect this.

2) Ask highway commission how high the water typically gets, and request they post a measuring rod for reference after storms. (This is useful where I live under railway underpasses, where this issue is feet, not inches!).

3) Buy the car, check the depth, cross your fingers, then creep through the intersection at low but constant speed, and dry out your brakes immediately after exiting!

This is only partly tounge-in-cheek, I do sympathize if you can't avoid that intersection and drive the car you really want.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Oldtimerfan said:
....we're looking at the Enclave as a luxurious all wheel drive mini-van alternative with a bit of extra ground clearance and bad weather capability. The H3 and LR don't have comfortable seating for 7 and aren't really in the mix. The GL is an incredible vehicle that drives almost like an S Class Benz on road and - if ordered with the off-road package - feels like it could tackle the Rubicon Trail. It's hard, however, to justify the $25 K price differential when an Enclave (or one of the Lambda siblings) will do nearly as well. I just need a little higher comfort level when I plow into that flooded intersection....
Exactly! I think that is where most of us are/were in considering the Enclave. I know I was stating the obvious, but just wanted to make sure that everyone was on the same page. Looks like it may time to get out a tape measure! Good Luck! :thumb:

G

·
i went out and measured, its 1'1 on an FWD acadia and 1' on an AWD enclave, hope this helps. i measured from level ground to the bottom of the car, it was about 2 inches from the bottom of the door.

I didnt measure the front air **** to the ground but it looks like there is only 6-7 inches maybe less.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Oldtimerfan said:
At the risk of being evicted from the forum, we're looking at the Enclave as a luxurious all wheel drive mini-van alternative with a bit of extra ground clearance and bad weather capability.
You haven't been around here much if you think saying THAT will get you "evicted" from the forum! LolLolLolLolLolLolLolLol. Us Enclave -lovers are very patient people. Well, most of us anyway...[/color] :cheers:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Rosita2001 said:
You haven't been around here much if you think saying THAT will get you "evicted" from the forum! LolLolLolLolLolLolLolLol. Us Enclave -lovers are very patient people. Well, most of us anyway...[/color] :cheers:
Oldtimerfan,
Don't worry about that, our Enclave replaced a minivan. I for one said I would NEVER drive a SUV :help:, and the Enclave was just what I needed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Funny thing, MRBUICK, my wife and I have owned a number of SUVs over the years but swore we would never drive a mini-van! When "soccer moms" adopted these practical vehicles 25 years ago, she was taking our kids to games in her W-30 4-speed 4-4-2 convertible. The great thing about the new breed of "CUVs" is that we can each get the vehicle we really need without compromising our principles. We live in a hilly, rural area where roads are plowed infrequently, so our big 4x4s have been a matter of necessity rather than show. Hopefully one of the Lambdas can get the job done while providing a bit more civilized transportation.

RT, thanks for the measurements. I'm really hoping someone with design data can provide the location and clearance to engine air intake and critical electronics for water intrusion. In our case, the Enclave (or Acadia) will be the "bad weather" vehicle that ventures out when our sporty "fun" cars cower in the garage. It seems a shame to take something this nice "into harms way" but we can't justify another "garage queen."

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
OldTimerFan,

MSN autos lists the ground clearance of the Enclave at 8.4 inches. I know this doesn't really answer your question, but should be a true measurement of the actual clearance (unless MSN auto is incorrect which I have found in the past on certain things)

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
OldTF, I'd be surprised if you could handle more than 14" of water, based on RT's measurements to door and underside electronics designed to be wet, not drowned! The air box is high enough at what I see at 18" inlets, but the Exhaust tips must be "blowing" to keep water out and they're just below the rear bumper. (keep foot on gas in 1st gear?)

All guesses on my part, but I'd say 14" is a safe bet!

G

·
how about a 6 inch lift kit and some off road tires, hmm i like that. but i think even 14 inchis is alittle much, i mean my yukon is 15 inches from the running boards to the ground, and thats before the lift kit and off road tires. i would have the climate control sealed if your going to go through deep stuff , that way no water leakes in under the dash. also a snorkle would be a good idea, as it lets the engine breath if you get too deep and saves you an engine, also hen not in water it helps teh engine get cleaner air because there is a filter in there and its higher and away from the dust. NUMER ONE thing is dont get too confident. another thing it watch out for is once the exaust is under water your in trouble, i have been off roading since i was 14, yes before i got my licence. you might think about geting some pipe and when you thing your goign to go through high water, stick the pipe on and you will extend the exaust UP to give you a better chance, just dont wreck the beautyful interior.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Turn around ... don't drown! Or screw up your new Enclave! If you have to cross a river everyday, you should have bought a boat instead.

G

·
NOLA Saints said:
Turn around ... don't drown! Or screw up your new Enclave! If you have to cross a river everyday, you should have bought a boat instead.
wheres the fun in that. i thinks its an awsome feeling to thrash through 2 ft of water at 30 mph.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Rollin Thunder + Black Bandit said:
wheres the fun in that. i thinks its an awsome feeling to thrash through 2 ft of water at 30 mph.
but not in an enclave! :eek:hno:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Where do you live? I can't imagine having the thought of driving through that much water during heavy rain storms. Is there are huge drainage problem where you live or is there just a lot of rain fall. I know I wouldn't drive any of my vehicles through that much water.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts