EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, love this forum. You have all been so helpful!!! 2011 Enclave at 156K that never gives me issues. However, if I'm on rolling roads or tight turns at highway speeds, I get the dreaded Engine Power Reduced - Traction Control Off - Stabilitrak messages. All I do is pull over in a safe place, shut the engine off, restart it and I'm good to go till it sets off again. On plain straight highways, it never goes off. So something is out of whack enough to trigger the messages. Just took a trip to Montana through South Dakota and it was set off about five or six times. The bummer is that when those errors pop, the car never shuts off cruise control. All of a sudden, you hear the motor revving. I came back to Minnesota on 94, flat and dull driving and the issue never happened. Only happens at highway speeds and curvy or rolling roads and never in low speed town driving or straight flat highways. Its done this since I bought the car new.

Hopefully, there is enough here that might give someone an idea of what to look for. Otherwise, the dealer years ago said that unless the it comes in with those codes, there is nothing they can do. Realistically there is no way you can drive the car to a dealership in the middle of no where when the codes pop. I was wondering if getting one of those Bluetooth ODBC2 gadgets might help to pinpoint the source of the issue? Perhaps someone else has fixed, or found this same issue or has an idea of where to look.

Thanks
Oakguy

·
Registered
51 Posts
You'll need a scanner/reader that will read the abs/stabilitrac system. Those cheap odb readers will not do that, you'll need to plan on spending between $50 -$250, carry it with you in the glove box and when this happens pull over and before you shut it off to reset, read the codes in the abs system. Since there are so many scanners out there look for one that specifically says it will read the GM/Buick abs system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First, love this forum. You have all been so helpful!!! 2011 Enclave at 156K that never gives me issues. However, if I'm on rolling roads or tight turns at highway speeds, I get the dreaded Engine Power Reduced - Traction Control Off - Stabilitrak messages. All I do is pull over in a safe place, shut the engine off, restart it and I'm good to go till it sets off again. On plain straight highways, it never goes off. So something is out of whack enough to trigger the messages. Just took a trip to Montana through South Dakota and it was set off about five or six times. The bummer is that when those errors pop, the car never shuts off cruise control. All of a sudden, you hear the motor revving. I came back to Minnesota on 94, flat and dull driving and the issue never happened. Only happens at highway speeds and curvy or rolling roads and never in low speed town driving or straight flat highways. Its done this since I bought the car new.

Hopefully, there is enough here that might give someone an idea of what to look for. Otherwise, the dealer years ago said that unless the it comes in with those codes, there is nothing they can do. Realistically there is no way you can drive the car to a dealership in the middle of no where when the codes pop. I was wondering if getting one of those Bluetooth ODBC2 gadgets might help to pinpoint the source of the issue? Perhaps someone else has fixed, or found this same issue or has an idea of where to look.

Thanks
Oakguy
I had the same problem...turned out I was low on brake fluid. I took it to several places no one could figure it out. I just happen to notice the brake fluid was low when I was checking oil and washer fluid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good tip and my level brake fluid level is good there. I'll follow up for a good OBDC2 code reader. I would prefer a bluetooth type that could be left plugged in and talks to a iPhone or iPad. If anyone has any ideas a good one like that it would be great. Please forward. The handheld type are way overkill for a senior like me.

Thanks for the tips!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good tip and my level brake fluid level is good there. I'll follow up for a good OBDC2 code reader. I would prefer a bluetooth type that could be left plugged in and talks to a iPhone or iPad. If anyone has any ideas a good one like that it would be great. Please forward. The handheld type are way overkill for a senior like me.

Thanks for the tips!!!
I got mine from Amazon Bafx bluetooth and use the Torque app as the reader. I think I paid $20. Been working great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had this issue on my 2010 Acadia (same platform if you were not aware). The ABS sensor is separate from the wheel bearing hub itself. It bolts to the knuckles (front and rear) and protrudes through a hole on the back side of the brake rotor. The inboard bearing seal has iron particles molded into the seal itself that act as a reluctor ring similar to a toothed gear. The ABS sensor reads the reluctor ring (seal) to determine wheel speed or if it is skidding. Dirt can pack in between the sensor and the ring and create issues that causes a code and speed limiting. If you want things to try, you can remove the sensor and clean the ring. In my case, it did not work. The packed-in dirt wore the seal to the point that the ABS sensor could not detect it. I had to replace the wheel bearing hub to correct the problem.

I'd start with getting a scan tool that can read ABS systems, find out which part of the system has an issue. Part swapping on ABS systems can get expensive. I got a scanner from Harbor Freight, but that model is not sold/supported anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts