EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is a common issue but still cant find an answer anywhere. 2011 Enclave AWD with 90,000 miles. Front suspension is new, new tires and still get this annoying steering vibration at 75 mph. And it comes and goes depending on the road sometimes. Had this symptom for a few years now. Feel it through the steering and pedals. Funny thing a friend asked advise for his 2009 Acadia on vibration and just laugh cause its the same thing.

Also rained to day and the steering felt too easily moved or jerked by puddles. Which caught me off guard. Like its easily manipulated ..dont know. Like there is no weight on wheels. Running at 40 psi...which I read once will calm the vibration.

I've only seen something about u-joint on the drive shaft but cant find any videos on a how to or what to look for.

Love my Enclave but thinking of trading it in for a something else if this cant be addressed.

Any and i mean any will be helpful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My only real and fully honest advice is trade that thing in yesterday. I'm not going into the slew of issues with my 2014 we purchased new.. At about 90k it was literally falling apart everywhere and I mean major stuff. Some people have had great success with theirs but these enclaves are NOT built to last.

Checked your oil level lately? It will eat a few quarts easy during 5k oil change. Buick states it's acceptable to eat 1-2 quarts every few thousand miles. Ridiculous. You need to check your oil every 3 fills and top it off as needed. At 90k it will start eating more.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I run my tires at 35 PSI cold.
once on the road- theyll go up to 40 or so.
so yours are probably hitting 45 when on the road.
But when you mention the puddles and easy movement- that sounds like its hydroplaning. But you say you have new tires. Are these deep puddles and youre going fast?
I cant help with the vibration.... Ive never had that in my 156,000.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have the same issue at 75 MPH with my 2011 AWD CLX. New tires alignment balancing front end good. Had stabilizer linkage changed and still have vibration. 70000 miles on vehicle. Started at about 65000. I’m going to have mechanic check ujoints and drive shaft. Feel the vibration thru pedals and even floor boards. Car tracks perfectly street. It’s slight but so annoying! If you find the problem please let us know. I think I started a forum topic on this about a year ago. Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts

This is my post

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jackie mine started about the same time. This weekend there be good weather and going to check struts, strut mounts, cvx axles. Mine are from AutoZone and they've been replaced a couple of times. AutoZone CV axles are complete trash. So don't know if that's it. Also have a clunck somewhere in the steering. I'll give it a good overlook

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks. Other than that slight vibration the car rides like new. Had front struts replaced at about 35000 miles but had nothing to do with vibration. No other noises from front end. Driving me crazy .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Has anyone checked lower control arm bushings? Tie-rods? Those would be my first areas to check, based on the symptoms. These models had issues with with lower control arm bushings.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Had 2 different dealers check my front end before my slight vibration started. I was getting an intermittent jingling noise over bumps. Both test drove it and they couldn't hear it. i brought it back to second dealer on Staten Island after a 800 dollar 4 wheel brake job and said noise was still there. The first time I went to this dealer I drove the car with who they said was their “best mechanic”. He inspected front end on lift and said all was good. After I went back after brakes I asked to check front again as noise persisted. This time a young mechanic found both side tie rod bushings totally worn. How does a mechanic miss this on a typical front end inspection. After replaced noise was gone. I don’t trust Buick dealers anymore. I have had so many mis diagnosis from the mechanics since I had this Enclave. I still think it’s a u joint or drive shaft issue causing slight vibration. As I stated car tracks perfectly straight at 80 MPH. From now on I’ll use my intuition as to what’s wrong. I used to work on cars years ago as my first car was a 1975 Impala. Did everything on it, brakes, stabilizer linkage, shocks, drum brakes, radiator, water pump, radios and speakers, turn signal switch, carb etc. you name it I did it. With these newer cars it’s no longer possible. Thanks for listening to me vent!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thinking its the strut mount. They have too much flex in/out and side to side. Struts are also feel shot so ill try with them first.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Had a private garage pull the tires and they said the rim was rotting or coating was coming off on inside of rim. This could be causing balance to be off? I saw other threads that talked about inside of rim rotting/peeling.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You must have the bright "chrome" wheels? Chrome used to be a plating on steel, but is not a coating on aluminum (if your wheels are bright chrome). And that coating can slightly separate from the aluminum, and when water & air gets into any separations, the aluminum corrodes and the coating starts peeling. So if large chucks of chrome coating have come off the outside (and yes, it does also happen on the inside, but the coating is much thinner there), it can cause some wheel imbalance. If this is what you have, you will be chancing rebalancing work frequently as the coating continues to peel and separate. Buick did not provide high-end bright chrome coatings on their aluminum wheels. Your best bet it this is your situation, if you plan to keep your Enclave a long time yet, is to replace your wheels with non-bright chrome versions, or get a used set of bright chrome coated wheels that haven't yet started the peeling process (from Arizona or California, where imperfections aren't attacked with salt & water & air as much).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Any recommendations where to look for wheels or is it just a shop around for a best price deal? Guess Buick is not covering wheels after 10 years.

·
Registered
37 Posts
From a distance, can't see chrome peeling on the outside of your wheels. Usually starts between the spokes away from the hub (closer to the tire). If you don't have that on any of your wheels, then I doubt chrome peel is your issue. I know you said the problem was on the inside of the wheel (assuming that means the part covered by the tire). Did you see the peeling yourself? It would be very unusual to have a significant problem of this stuff peeling on areas covered by the tire, but not on the outside parts. Do you have any evidence of chrome peel visible around where the valve stems area?

If you want used wheels, best to search local salvage yards. Do you have 19" wheels? If so, you can use www.car-part.com to search local salvage yards for the same wheels you have - they do a good job normally telling you if the wheels have any chrome peel or not. You can also look for any 19" wheels that are not chrome also - if bright chrome isn't important to you. You have selections on the search engine of www.car-part.com to get you to the wheels you want.

Let me know if you have any questions using that salvage search site.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks for your help. If I remove the wheels again Ill get a picture. I didn't actually see it, just going by what the mechanic said. Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts