EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to find out if anyone has any news about GM fixing the transmission problems? I've got a 5 hr road trip on Monday and am absolutely dreading it because of the stupid transmission shift points and reluctancy to downshift. Just today with about a 20mph head wind I had to literally put the accellerator to the floor to get the Enclave to speed up to the 55 mph speed limit. I was patient initially with a steady depression of the accellerator...but absolutely nothing. I just kept slowing down. The people right behind me had to be wondering what the heck is wrong with this guy. I have to tell you it is my opinion that the transmission shift program is a true POS. I certainly would not buy this car again (Infinity, Acura, Lexus, BMW don't seem to have this problem). Why can GM get this fixed? Why don't any other car makers have this problem? I drive 40+ different vehicles each year (rentals) and have for over 20 years and this is the absolute worse transmission issue I have ever encountered.

GM, are you listening? Or actually, do you care?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi Reghed,

Boy am I with you and have been on this issue since our purchase in August. Just being dead and not willing to go anywhere. Keep griping as I and several others are doing. Also look at some of the other threads on the transmission issue as it has been on "our" table for some time. No change yet, but a promise of one in '09. How does that grab you?

Bsox and Papopo have been very good as well as others in articulating our concerns. Wishing you (and me) good luck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The transmission is the way it is for the sole purpose of better gas mileage. The flash update will allow for more willing downshifts so if your main gripe is it's reluctance to downshift, that will fix your problem.

My complaint, as well as many others has to do with it upshifting too early and downshifting on the highway while in cruise control a little too willingly.

We've discussed the need for a "sport" mode that doesn't worry about gas mileage as much and this would give GM the ability to post the current EPA numbers while giving us the option to have better performance at the expense of lower gas mileage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 09 CXL with 32000 miles on it. i brought it to the dealer complaining about shifting problems and they rebuild my transmission, or just put new trans oil in it because 100 miles later problem is back. its even worse when you have the AC on .. for 55k you think the Enclave would drive like a dream...not the case

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
describe what you feel/see with AC on....

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
scaner1789 said:
i have a 09 CXL with 32000 miles on it. i brought it to the dealer complaining about shifting problems and they rebuild my transmission, or just put new trans oil in it because 100 miles later problem is back. its even worse when you have the AC on .. for 55k you think the Enclave would drive like a dream...not the case

Sometimes, for some end users, it does. . . a BAD dream. :facepalm:

The transmission is not one of the Enclave's more refined features.

Yes, after four years you would think GM would have come up with a solution to resolve EVERYONE's sluggish shifting points, and downshifting issues by now. To say this is a totally ridiculous amount of time to wait for a resolution, is an understatement beyond belief.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have never wasted my time even looking in the direction of a GM Lambda-based vehicle. There are simply far too many issues that continue to remain unaddressed while GM continues to design, build, and pump more of these vehicles into the marketplace.

You need to have at least some of your focus squarely placed towards your existing CUSTOMERS. Letting existing issues continue to run on and on for years and years without a solid resolution, or at least have a 'best-case scenario' resolution, is just bad business, no matter how you decide to spin it, slice it, or dice it. Keeping customers in total darlness is much worse, because it gives the appearance that you simply don't care to address the issue, because either it's not important enough to address or the customers aren't important enough to inform. In the long run, this always proves to be a mistake.

The Falcon has spoken. Do with it what you will.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Ford and GM developed this transmission as a joint effort, and they each use it in their vehicles. You very seldom hear complaints about the Ford version. There are a few differences as mentioned in this older article, but it seems Ford got it right from the get go.

http://wardsauto.com/ar/ford_gm_automatic

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Well after my short vacation to Vermont and a flawless execution of the transmission shift points for the entire trip, including the transmission braking effect working after the last firmware flash when the wave plate was replaced, I'll really have to retract most of the above commentary about MY PARTICULAR TRANSMISSION.

However, GM still needs to seriously consider creating a customer program SPECIFICALLY that places the end user in the loop when their vehicles are suspect to issues. Why? Because it serves no purpose to keep them uninformed when all the customers really want is to be told is that we're aware of the issue(s), they're under review, a solution is being addressed, there is currently no timeframe (or the timeframe is XYZ), a workaround is available until a fix is ready, etc. SOMETHING, so that it doesn't appear that GM has gone into hiding like a scared child into a broom closet, or that they're just another completely non-caring business that scrapes the problems off the bottom of its shoes like yesterday's news, then sweeps that dirt under the corporate rug to be hidden from view.

As a former Senior Director of Global Technology (of which Customer Service was one of seven reporting departments), I'm confident if GM was to initiate a program of this nature, and had the right people running it, they would be heroes among the American buyers. People want information, not BS, not passing the buck, and definitely not silence. Unfortunately, they (GM) has yet to flip the coin to THAT side to reveal the bounty and rewards from that type of approach to issues stemming from problems we've seen in the past four years. That's because you simply can't get new thoughts and programs from the same set of brain cells you've had in place for the past decade, or more. Only new blood can work those types of miracles, and perhaps even offer the bonus of bringing in those types of new programs under budget.

I believe this would give people more confidence in their vehicles. We know what’s wrong because GM tells us, and we have better trust in GM because of explanations. This could mean a higher level of customer loyalty for future sales, and we’d feel better about our vehicles because we’re being TOLD about them, rather than finding about them in one of many various ways.

In the same thought, I’m also not talking about parading around with signs and showing the world a ‘punch-list’ of problems with a particular vehicle, so that it sits on the lot where it remains day after day.

. . Falcon

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
FalconEddy said:
Well after my short vacation to Vermont and a flawless execution of the transmission shift points for the entire trip, including the transmission braking effect working after the last firmware flash when the wave plate was replaced[/color], I'll really have to retract most of the above commentary about MY PARTICULAR TRANSMISSION.

However, GM still needs to seriously consider creating a customer program SPECIFICALLY that places the end user in the loop when their vehicles are suspect to issues. Why? Because it serves no purpose to keep them uninformed when all the customers really want is to be told is that we're aware of the issue(s), they're under review, a solution is being addressed, there is currently no timeframe (or the timeframe is XYZ), a workaround is available until a fix is ready, etc. SOMETHING, so that it doesn't appear that GM has gone into hiding like a scared child into a broom closet, or that they're just another completely non-caring business that scrapes the problems off the bottom of its shoes like yesterday's news, then sweeps that dirt under the corporate rug to be hidden from view.

As a former Senior Director of Global Technology (of which Customer Service was one of seven reporting departments), I'm confident if GM was to initiate a program of this nature, and had the right people running it, they would be heroes among the American buyers. People want information, not BS, not passing the buck, and definitely not silence. Unfortunately, they (GM) has yet to flip the coin to THAT side to reveal the bounty and rewards from that type of approach to issues stemming from problems we've seen in the past four years. That's because you simply can't get new thoughts and programs from the same set of brain cells you've had in place for the past decade, or more. Only new blood can work those types of miracles, and perhaps even offer the bonus of bringing in those types of new programs under budget.

I believe this would give people more confidence in their vehicles. We know what’s wrong because GM tells us, and we have better trust in GM because of explanations. This could mean a higher level of customer loyalty for future sales, and we’d feel better about our vehicles because we’re being TOLD about them, rather than finding about them in one of many various ways.

In the same thought, I’m also not talking about parading around with signs and showing the world a ‘punch-list’ of problems with a particular vehicle, so that it sits on the lot where it remains day after day.

. . Falcon
I've never noticed automatic transmission braking in my 2008 Enclave. As far as I know, I have the latest transmission flash from May 08, 2008. Is there a newer flash that has somehow eluded discussion on this forum? If not, and if my car's flash is up-to-date, what condition(s) would trigger the function?

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2008 Enclave Coast, unless I use the Tow-Haul Mode, then It seems to lock converter and hold back on down-hill coasting. I do notice some difference in Tow-Mode...
But I lock out 5 and 6th gear if Trans keeps down-shifting, or hunting. Just my fix for this tranny......

Jim in Fl.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts