EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to think I'm the only person on the planet who didn't want the sunroof (which is why I had to order). I've searched practically the entire east coast and I've yet to find a CXL AWD in any dealer's inventory that does not have a sunroof.

·
Registered
432 Posts

jr7243 said:
I'm starting to think I'm the only person on the planet who didn't want the sunroof (which is why I had to order). I've searched practically the entire east coast and I've yet to find a CXL AWD in any dealer's inventory that does not have a sunroof.
jr7243 - Go with what you want! We never have been much for sunroofs, so we are happily without them. Let me share a little of our thinking on the subject:

1) Extra glass is a vulnerability in rollovers but could be useful if you fell into a river (the way bridges fail) - and the power still worked. Our Saab had a hand crank option in event of electrical failure. I think the probability of a rollover is greater than that of a bridge collapse, so no sunroofs for us.

2) Noise potential and more mechanical stuff to fail. I couldn't understand if one wanted quiet tuning and sound insulation, why make the vehicle inherently noisy with sunroofs.

3) Slightly greater headroom without sliders on top - just an inch or so, but important to us.

4) Not sure, but the headliner air handling may be better without.

In all fairness, others should take a moment to post what is so good about the moveable roof.

2Much

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would have taken one without the sunroof if I could have found it too. The only way you can stand to drive with it open is with a deflector on it. The sunroof opening is already so narrow, it would be pointless. I think I have opened the rear moonroof shade once, just to see how it worked. ALSO, I would have taken a cxl without leather interior too if I could have. Obviously leather costs all these manufacturers less cloth, since leather is in every car on the road today.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bought without sunroof, because I just don't like them and also the flip down dvd obscures the view less without the sunroof. :thumb:

·
Registered
122 Posts
We did not buy one because my wife can count on one hand the amount of times she had it opened in her previous vehicle. So saving $1300 was worth it to us.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had to look longer as well to get what I wanted without a sunroof. I agree with the reasons mentioned above, but also wanted to avoid ANY sunlight coming in as well. I have had cars with sunroofs before and just didn't use the function and wanted the extra headroom, hopefully a bit quieter and less opportunity for problems.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I ordered the cxl without the sunroof because I don't care for them that much. I had one in my last car and always had the shade closed. why pay $1300 if you don't like something? My dealer said that a sunroof is good for re-sale. I told him that I was buying the vehicle for me, not the next guy.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
We ordered ours (fwd) without a sunroof. It's the wife's vehicle and she never uses a sunroof.

·
Registered
413 Posts
We ordered ours with the FTC chrome package which includes the sun roofs and 19 inch chrome wheels. When our order was placed in mid August the final cost of the package after discount was $1,100; to good a deal to pass up.

·
Registered
612 Posts
docnlaw said:
Bought without sunroof, because I just don't like them and also the flip down dvd obscures the view less without the sunroof. :thumb:
I ordered without a sunroof. Dealers NEVER order without the sunroof on hot cars. It's more profit. At my dealer an Enclave with Sunroof will sell in about 7 days. As a dealer there is no risk and guaranteed extra profit. If someone walks up who hates sunroof but just has to have the car "right now" and are willing to pay MSRP, it's a pretty good bet they will spend an extra $1200 anyway.

Bottom line.. Order it. It's well worth the wait.

Also.. In another discussion we measured the distance from the floor to the bottom of the DVD. On the sunroof models the distance was 38 inches, on the no-sunroof models it was 40 inches. That two inches made all the difference for me (and my 6'2" frame). I can see out the back window clearly, whereas on my test drive with a sunroof model, the back window was partially blocked.

Good luck..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also ordered without a sunroof. Agree with most of what was stated previously. Had an 03 Rendevous , and used it maybe 5 times in 4+ years. Road noise bothered me.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Enclavious said:
I have the CXL without the sunroof. I don't like them personally.
I will be ordering an '09 without the sunroof for many of the reasons stated. I'm 6-2 with most height apparently waist-above and need/want more interior room. Also, intuitively it makes no sense to me to have quiet tuning and then have a "hole" in the roof. I can't believe it wouldn't make a difference in interior noise levels. And, we don't like the shade as constructed. That eventually HAS to be a problem (waiting to happen). Ever play with window shades at grandma's house? JMO.

BB

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are not alone. I also ordered mine without the sunroof for almost all the reason posted before.
Will be here in a couple of weeks. My first time here and this is a great forum. Have some questions already for my dealer about the car and some
of the problems discussed in this forum.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CheoC3 said:
You are not alone. I also ordered mine without the sunroof for almost all the reason posted before.
Will be here in a couple of weeks. My first time here and this is a great forum. Have some questions already for my dealer about the car and some
of the problems discussed in this forum.
When did you order and what color/options? I ordered mine on 2/21.

·
Registered
22 Posts
At 6'4" I require one without the sunroof. While there are several available in the Denver region without sunroofs, I cannot find one equipped as I want. And, per dealer search, the vehicle I'm looking for does not exist in the US. Therefore I'm likely ordering from factory.

The problem I have is my time frame. We just had twins and the child seats require the front seats in out Grand Cherokee to be in nearly the full-forward position. This is a major problem when 6'-4" and leaving soon on a multi-state road trip. So, I'm torn between 4 options:

1. Order '08 from factory and wait an undermined amount of time to get a WDT minus sunroof.
2. Order desired '09 from factory :thumb: (and wait possibly longer :( )
3. Satisfy immediate needs and purchase undesirably equipped Enclave now from dealer and regret decision down the road
4. Satisfy immediate needs and break down to pressure from my wife and purchase Toyota Sienna regretting decision down the road at expense of peace now.

I'm want to follow Option 2 but fear how long I may have to wait to get a vehicle my family can comfortably ride in. In the meanwhile I'm in a holding pattern watching this board for an scraps of reliable info on when '09s will be availble to order and deliver. I'm also hoping that my wife does not get too enamored with the minivan we are renting for a road trip this week :eek:hno: .

Rob

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I, too, am 6'4", and have no problem whatsoever with the roof height/headroom. Possibly, you are short-legged / long bodied, but as a rather standard build, I see no reason to avoid the sunroof for headroom reasons.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From what I understand, '09s can be ordered on/about April 1st. Resist the minivan. My next door neighbor got an Odyssey recently and my wife and I laugh our ***** off when we see him driving it. Some people on here have ordered and had their cars delivered in less than 6 weeks.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts