EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see if anyone did and what they thought.

·
Registered
164 Posts
jr7243 said:
Just curious to see if anyone did and what they thought.
Mazda gave me a CX 9 for an afternoon while I was still deciding. It will out handle the Enclave at the cost of stiffer ride. Wind noise similar in both (low) but tire noise considerably more on the CX9, especially on coarse pavement. For me I felt to confined in the CX9. I'm 6 feet & 200 lbs. The CX9 felt like it didn't have the knee room(side to side) The transmission definitley behaved better going up small inclines. It would shift down & stay there but it was more hesitant to shift back into 6th. I could not tell any difference in power both from a stand still or in passing ( it had the 3.7 liter.) After driving I would have chosen the Enclave and after they gave me the numbers for a 2 year lease, almost $400 a month more it was a nobrainer. The freeway I drive on is not in good shape with a lot of tar strips & cracks & the Enclave was far superior over the rough stuff. Kep in mind this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I'll have you know I'm NOT a cross-shopper!! :happy:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I did. It did not seem to have the room in the back that I really needed and I also didn't care for the pricing and package structure. There was much more of an issue with packages that forced me to get things that i didn't want in order to get what i wanted.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
.........as long as you don't start cross-dressing.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
MRBUICK said:
.........as long as you don't start cross-dressing.
"cross-dressing" - What's that? Mixing Blue Cheese (or shall I raise my nose into the air, and say "Bleu Cheese"?) with Thousand Island? :cheers:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I was seriously looking at either the CX7 or CX9 before I discovered the Enclave. Then I compared the differences, and getting the CX9 fully equipped was close to the same price as the Enclave, and the Enclave is much more luxurious, more comfortable/roomy, and IMO more beautiful. When I test drove the Enclave that sealed it for me. I pulled up next to a CX7 the other day at a stop light, and thought to myself how glad I was that I chose the Enclave. The Mazda's nice, but just not as much vehicle as the Enclave. Also, the newest Consumer Reports doesn't give the Mazda that great of ratings in the reliability department. Something to consider. ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
I looked at the CX-9 last September...it is a nice looking car, but... First off, it's not a true 8 passenger. By that, I mean, the middle seat is a bench seat, but the rear seat really only seats 2 small people (or maybe 3 children). Full sized adults would have a lot of leg trouble. Next, the Enclave is really appointed nicer. I don't want to say that either of them are luxurious, but the Enclave looks and feels better. Third, the ride in the Enclave was noticeably more quiet and much smoother. I really didn't notice acceleration or pulling power (that's not an issue with me). And the price of the Enclave was about 10 Grand less!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife dismissed it solely on the fact that it did not come with a tan interior option. She has had her fill of grey plastic. I thought the CX9's third row seating was cramped and more difficult to get into. The Enclave is more luxorious in feel than the CX9. It feels good to buy American, and to see Buick make a turnaround and actually appeal to the under 50 crowd. We eventually ordered a CXL, my first GM product, and after several weeks are quite happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We looked at the CX-9 when shopping and while it has some pros compared to the Enclave (namely bluetooth, which can be added to the Enclave), it was missing some key features which were important to us including: Retained Accessory Power, Trip computer (DIC), and back-up sensors. Also, most CX-9's were not factory equipped with Satellite radio or remote start necessitating a dealer installed option. I do not recall it having auto tilting mirrors, steerable headlights, or power folding mirrors either. Having come from a Ford Freestyle, we were also used to the rear seat A/C ducts in the ceiling, and the CX-9 only has a rear seat vent in the back of the front armrest while the Enclave has vents in the ceiling at the 2nd and 3rd rows - much better to cool off quickly in the summer. The other big factor for us is the superior seating configuration of the Lambdas with it's 2-2-3 versus 2-3-2 of the CX-9. With 2 car seats, it is great to be able to get to the third row by passing between the captains chairs. One pro of the CX-9 is that you had no obstruction in your rear view mirror with the rear DVD screen folded down, but this is because you cannot order the sunroof and DVD system together (which we wanted to do). The ride and quietness of the Enclave is superior to the CX-9 in my opinion, but I would say the Mazda might have had a better shift logic although I did not drive it enough to say this for sure. Finally, the superior warranty of the Buick was an important factor for us.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I find it very odd how Enclave outsells CX-9 close to 2 to 1, yet I see CX-9's everywhere while I'm lucky if I catch 1 Enclave on the road in a week. Must be a New Jersey thing. In January alone, it was 3390 to 1850.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Ours is one of those seldom seen NJ Enclaves.
Maybe out of the garage 2 days a week.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Halle's mom said:
I was seriously looking at either the CX7 or CX9 before I discovered the Enclave. Then I compared the differences, and getting the CX9 fully equipped was close to the same price as the Enclave, and the Enclave is much more luxurious, more comfortable/roomy, and IMO more beautiful. When I test drove the Enclave that sealed it for me. I pulled up next to a CX7 the other day at a stop light, and thought to myself how glad I was that I chose the Enclave. The Mazda's nice, but just not as much vehicle as the Enclave. Also, the newest Consumer Reports doesn't give the Mazda that great of ratings in the reliability department. Something to consider. ;)
Do they happen to have the reliabilty rating in there for the enclave yet? I am very curious what they have to say in regards to that area.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
KCorey said:
I looked at the CX-9 last September...it is a nice looking car, but... First off, it's not a true 8 passenger. By that, I mean, the middle seat is a bench seat, but the rear seat really only seats 2 small people (or maybe 3 children). Full sized adults would have a lot of leg trouble. Next, the Enclave is really appointed nicer. I don't want to say that either of them are luxurious, but the Enclave looks and feels better. Third, the ride in the Enclave was noticeably more quiet and much smoother. I really didn't notice acceleration or pulling power (that's not an issue with me). And the price of the Enclave was about 10 Grand less!
what model enclave do you have? 10000 less would put the mazda over 50000.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
chazcron said:
My wife dismissed it solely on the fact that it did not come with a tan interior option. She has had her fill of grey plastic. I thought the CX9's third row seating was cramped and more difficult to get into. The Enclave is more luxorious in feel than the CX9. It feels good to buy American, and to see Buick make a turnaround and actually appeal to the under 50 crowd. We eventually ordered a CXL, my first GM product, and after several weeks are quite happy with the purchase.
:welcome: to the forum! Glad you gave the USA a chance. we need the jobs! The E is a beautiful cruiser. While you see some complaints here, both legitimate and unusual, bear in mind most of us have nothing but praise for this sled and would by it again!!

Not that I would mind the '09 model with cooled seats, bluetooth and the DFI eng :thumb:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Didnt even consider it after my wife leased a cx7 a year ago. Only 12 more months to go. What a pile of junk. cheap, cheap, cheap. Taken it back twice for an oil leak they keep saying is fixed. fFirst time I took it to a do-it-yourself car wash, the sprayer hose blew the paint off in the wheel wells. I couldnt believe it. Decided I really dont care since it is a lease. I like the looks and the bose stereo, after that forget it. noisy and rough and requires premium unleaded. I have had lots of toyotas and hondas. My last Mazda. I hadnt owned an american car for years. 5,000 miles on my enclave since 12/31/07. Love it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I considered it and spent quite a bit of time looking it over. Historically, Mazda's are rattle traps and things seem to fall apart more than other Japanese cars. What really closed the deal for me though was when it was named SUV of the year. When that happens, it is the kiss of death. Ever have a look at cars on that list? Corvair, Vega, ... One of the largest scrap heaps of history is made up of former "Car of the Year" winners. It is sort of like when the United Nations endorses something - that's when you know something is fishy.

Having said that, it was tough to get into the back seat, luggage space was not as large and the ride was not as smooth as the competition. The Enclave has its foibles too, but overall it was a much nicer driving experience (for what we were looking for).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts