EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received our paperwork for Belle's insurance policy and was surprised to not find a discount for OnStar. When I called the company (we have Met) the lady I spoke with said many people ask for a discount for OnStar, but she doesn't know of any company that does. Is this true, or just a line she is feeding me? ???

Have any of you received a discount for OnStar, and if so, which company do you go through? We have used this insurance company for several years now (we have all of our insurance needs w/them), and with premiums going up every year, it might be time to do some shopping around!

Thanks!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Can't really think of why Onstar would result in any significant insurance discount.

Liability - it's not going to prevent you from running into somebody else.
Collision - See liability
Comprehensive - It's not going to protect you from hailstorms, stray baseballs, vandalism, etc.

Medical payments/uninsured/underinsured coverage - this is the only one where it could make some small difference I suppose. If the airbag deployment notification gets the emergency personnel to you quicker, I suppose that could in theory make some small difference in the cost of your medical care, but it's unlikely. Could make a difference between life and death, but again very infrequently. These coverages are also the cheapest if you look at the breakdown of premiums on your policy, so any savings would be minimal at best.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It just struck me as odd as they didn't even consider OnStar an anti-theft device.

·
Registered
200 Posts
badney said:
It just struck me as odd as they didn't even consider OnStar an anti-theft device.
I think USAA looks at it as a safety device vs an anti-theft device. Onstar doesn't really stop theft. It just has the potential for limiting the duration a theft takes place - and only after reported theft...

·
Registered
84 Posts
But isn't that true of Lo Jac as well? ??? ???

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PAPoPo said:
not to be smart but how will onstar stop you from getting your vehicle stolen?
Not to be smart, but how will a car alarm stop you from getting your vehicle stolen?! I have seen and heard of many cars stolen that had alarms installed. ;D

·
Registered
466 Posts
Isn't a silent alarm more effective than one that makes a noise - Banks for example. I would have thought that the fact that your car can be tracked via Onstar was a very real reason for a reduced premium. I asked when I bought the Enclave but was not given any further discount.
I have had tracking devices in previous cars and although expensive I thought worth while.
I assumed that all new cars had alarms, the Enclave seems to have one all be it quite basic by comparison to what I have been used to but it makes a noise.Maybe just in Canada?

·
Registered
232 Posts
badney said:
That's true - hadn't thought of that. It would at least enhance the chances of recovering the vehicle. But again, that would be under the comprehensive portion of the policy, where there are not really big savings to be had. The big premiums are for liability and collision.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am a Farmers Insurance agent and we do give a discount for Onstar and not an alarm system. The poster who said what is an alarm going to do hit it right on the head (Nothing). With Onstar the vehicle can be located so that is why the discount is available.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
Point of information from my USAA agent: The OnStar discount is for "Anti-theft." It is $ 4.88 a half-year. :)
Nice enough I guess, but hardly enough to buy you one large coffee from your favorite store is it?

ps. 3 posts to go for HERO COFFEE STATUS

·
Registered
84 Posts
It was indeed noted, nice Tomohawk job to those "evil empireons". And congrats on your well earned new status. It is great getting welcomed to my new "family" and you have been a great Ambassodor of Enclavedom. :cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Liberty Mutual provided me with a 25% discount on comprehensive coverage for having OnStar, as it's considered a "vehicle recovery system". It's their highest anti-theft device discount. In comparison, "alarm only" provides only a 5% discount.

·
Registered
721 Posts
2MC-Why couldn't you just forward your monthly diagnostic report to them? That would verify your mileage every month.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts