EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'll be ordering the new coastaletech GMX-320 lockpick, iPod pick, and Tellphone 5000vi package when it becomes available (in a week or so?).

They have video demonstrations of taking apart a Tahoe/Yukon dash and interior, but nothing obviously for the Enclave. Anyone been brave enough yet to try to access the radio and other parts of the center dash area? I'd rather not break a clip or warp something to the point a gap results trying to get the cover panels off the first time. :eek:hno:

BTW, for those wanting bluetooth, you might want to check out that combo mentioned above. Pricey, but it sure fits the bill. True voice commands with something like 10,000 named contacts, access of your phone's address book and voice tags (wish it were a SIM access profile technology, but apparently that is dying an early death), and the best part is automatic switching of sound and VIDEO so that you see the incoming number, number dialed, signal strength, battery life, call duration etc. on your factory display. Pretty cool... something even OnStar doesn't do that well (just gives you number and talk time on the DIC). Of course this only works with the Nav screen as the Tellphone 5000vi provides a video out that requires a true video screen to display - the upside being you don't need an aftermarket screen/control panel mounted somewhere in the interior (yuck!). And the take call/hang up buttons are on a tiny wireless remote unit that can be mounted or stored anywhere... center console, change tray in center, armrest, door pocket, side of center console, under dash, visor, etc.

The only thing I'd really like to accomplish is hiding the Tellphone mic behind either the OnStar mic perforations overhead or the interior temp sensor perforations below the ignition key. Hopefully I can get one of those two to work. If not, behind the center speaker grill might work out, but I'm not sure if the echo-cancellation can handle the source being that close to the mic.

Aside from that, my only beef with the new GMX-320 (and older versions, too) is that they can't automatically unlock DVD/XM/Nav/etc. A few button presses are required to unlock and relock (depending on what you want to do, you might just leave it unlocked). Apparently GM is now tracking vehicle motion not with any external signal from shifter, speedometer, throttle etc. but rather from the GPS tracking inside the navigation unit itself. To convince the vehicle you are stopped, you have to tell it to stop tracking GPS (by either disconnecting antenna or somehow hacking into command codes and telling it to stop, not sure which they are doing). So to input a Nav address you unlock that feature but it stops tracking vehicle position... obviously you have to relock it when you are done so it can update position and get on with providing directions. For unlocking XM and DVD in motion, you can just leave it unlocked - assuming you aren't currently using Nav too.

I'd rather not have to go through button combinations to do stuff I think should never have been locked (actually, I'd prefer my wife to not have to go through it - doesn't bother me as much, but I know it will annoy the heck out of her), but better than never being able to do that stuff in motion I guess. Worth it for the iPod interface, DVD on front screen in motion, and bluetooth auto-swithcing with video capability. Oh, and a couple of extra video inputs in case you want to connect the rear headrest DVD to the front (so you can watch something they play up front too), or a game console, or video iPod/Zune/etc., or baby camera, etc.

First things first though... anyone ripped apart their shiny new Enclave yet? >:D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Try the Acadia forum and search "i-pod" or something similar. I saw a thread there where someone installed the coastaltech i-pod interface. It's in the back on the drivers side!!! The photos that they posted showed that they left their i-pod sticking out in the back well under the floor behind the third row. Not very convienient in my mind for updating the i-pod.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Osli, please post back and let us know how it goes. I've been looking into bluetooth handsfree kits that just clip to the visor but I'm sure that the quality is not that great... I'd be very interested to hear if you can get the lockpick for bluetooth working.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like they have a long cable coiled up attached to the iPod. I'm assuming it is long enough to make it from the XM module in the rear to the front area... I'm planning on "doing it right" and leaving the iPod connector either in the center console or top dash storage area. It will take a lot more time, but I'd rather it be up front in case I want to play videos from the iPod as well (have to control those from the iPod, interface is music only).

But I still have to take the dash apart, which is what I'm most concerned about... Any volunteers to try it out first?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll certainly post back. After doing some pretty thorough internet sleuthing, I think this Tellphone unit is probably the best match for the Enclave if you have a factory Nav unit. The parrot, motorola, and other Tellphone products are pretty good, but having video integrated with the factory display really brings the integration up to near-OEM level. The only thing that won't look completely OEM is that I'll have to find a good place for the tiny three-button wireless remote that starts, ends, and accepts calls (and has a scroll wheel to access menus for more complex setup and programming functions). I'd rather a button on the steering wheel do that, but hey - OnStar doesn't either. For some reason they think your rearview mirror is the most handy place in the car to reach for a button. :sosad:

I think this could be "the winner" for people upset that GM doesn't have bluetooth from the factory. Of course, the price isn't trivial, but you're getting a lot more than just a bluetooth interface for that cost.

·
Registered
360 Posts
osli, I'm curious what route you are planning to fish that long cord to the front. Are you thinking of going just under the carpet? Do you know how long the cord is from coastaltech? It seems to me that it is a LONG way to the front from back there. I don't have my 'Clave yet, but is there a realistic way of getting into the front console between the seats? I'm very interested in the coastaltech product as well, but put off by the potential install issues. Please keep us posted, THANKS :thumb:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In most vehicles a route can be found under the door jambs, which usually communicates with both the front and rear side rocker or kick panels. I'm hoping the Enclave isn't too different. I don't know what length the cord is - coastaletech does not list that in their information, and I haven't contacted them to ask. The cable can be extended if necessary, but of course I'd rather not have to.

Access to the center console should be easy from the dash/radio area, but probably more difficult if trying to take a shortcut. Perhaps underneath the front seat, though usually mounting rails and motors really get in the way. The wire is a small diameter, so hopefully I can sneak it in somewhere!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I will be very interested on how your project evolves. Hope to see some pics posted to help the rest of too. Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am interested in this as well. I am hoping to get the iPod intergration into the Radio/Nav system with the CoastelTech LockPick, but I have also been following Peripheral Electronics as they have a product that seems to do this as well, but not updated to the newer cars.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took a look at the peripheral electronics stuff (as well as whatever else I found, DICE, and the limited info on the PAL link). Looks like everything else gives you at best control of the iPod using factory steering wheel inputs and radio buttons (wheel, forward, backwards). The cool thing about the coastaletech product is that it integrates with the touchscreen on the Nav-equipped vehicles, allowing you to search your iPod by genre, album, artist, etc. I like that "factory" look to their interface.

The GM PAL system might do that as well, but sadly you can't find any information at all on how it works with the nav touchscreen. Oh well, I'll be ordering the coastaletech products as soon as they get the tellphone combo available. I'll take installation pics and let you guys know how everything works when I'm done.

·
Registered
152 Posts
osli,

Here is one piece of equipment that you might want for the installation of the coastaletech equipment. I caged nut install tool can be found by talking to people in the computer hardware departments. It is made of spring steel and is flat with a small 90 degree bend on one end and a curved flat blade on the other. It is designed to install caged nuts into 42u racks. The tool can also be used to lift the face off of the surround holding the radio equipment in place. Handy little tool. Unless of course you have some special tool made just for this unit.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tip - I'll see if I can get my hands on one of those.

·
Registered
147 Posts
osli said:
I took a look at the peripheral electronics stuff (as well as whatever else I found, DICE, and the limited info on the PAL link). Looks like everything else gives you at best control of the iPod using factory steering wheel inputs and radio buttons (wheel, forward, backwards). The cool thing about the coastaletech product is that it integrates with the touchscreen on the Nav-equipped vehicles, allowing you to search your iPod by genre, album, artist, etc. I like that "factory" look to their interface.

The GM PAL system might do that as well, but sadly you can't find any information at all on how it works with the nav touchscreen. Oh well, I'll be ordering the coastaletech products as soon as they get the tellphone combo available. I'll take installation pics and let you guys know how everything works when I'm done.

I always thought that the iPod screen navigation was already built into GM's radios (NAV & standard radio) ready for the GM PAL system.

Not sure though. I just don't know how CoastalTech would be able to upgrade the software (especially in the NAV units) to make an Ipod navigation screen so I assumed they were just using the software and wiring that was already in there for GMs PAL system.

·
Registered
317 Posts
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24880
Guys,
Take a look at this link above that I found on the Solstice Forum for the Personal Audio Link. I have to assume it will work the same way for ALL GM cars -- it's supposed to be only for the newer radios with XM and the PAL is linked in or accessed through the XM bus (if I read through and understood this thread above correctly). There's a device that gets installed (the PAL itself) and various cables that must get connected. Take great care, though, to read through this thread and read the replies from a GM guy that's in charge of all this audio stuff. He warns that programming needs to be done to properly install the PAL link and integrate properly IF you have XM (regardless of whether you have an XM subscription or are in a trial mode).

I don't think this is out yet and a part number issued for the Enclave -- but I do believe this should give you all some better understanding of how this works. It's more involved than I think we all might think at 1st glance. Hopefully, this will help -- in the 3rd page, one of the guys on the Solstice forum posted the GM instructions for installation and then it talks about the programming. While the PAL accessory cost is supposed to be around $159 retail, it's the install/programming that seems more involved. I'll bet Buick dealers will be charging at least 2 hours of time to install.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
netmag said:
I always thought that the iPod screen navigation was already built into GM's radios (NAV & standard radio) ready for the GM PAL system.

Not sure though. I just don't know how CoastalTech would be able to upgrade the software (especially in the NAV units) to make an Ipod navigation screen so I assumed they were just using the software and wiring that was already in there for GMs PAL system.
From watching the coastaletech demo video, I'm guessing they just hijack the XM signal coming to the radio and insert the iPod datastream. That datastream probably mimicks the formatting of the XM signal such that they don't need to program a new interface, just "trick" the radio into displaying iPod genre/category labels instead of XM ones, and translating radio selections and button presses into appropriate iPod commands to start the correct audio stream.

Just my guess, anyway. In all likelihood the GM PAL system does exactly the same thing, but I highly doubt the products from peripheral electronics, DICE, scosche etc. are capable of the same.

·
Registered
360 Posts
A little off subject maybe..........but in talking to my Honda dealer buddies, they (Honda Corp) have discontinued the i-pod hook up due to the fact that they "can't keep up with all of the i-tunes updates." Do you thnk that the PAL or the coastaltech interfaces will have similar problems or did Honda take a different appraoch?? ???

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's possible they will have the same problems, really depends on how they designed their XM hijacking protocols and iPod control commands, and how much iTunes changes from one release to the next.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A little off subject maybe..........but in talking to my Honda dealer buddies, they (Honda Corp) have discontinued the i-pod hook up due to the fact that they "can't keep up with all of the i-tunes updates." Do you thnk that the PAL or the coastaltech interfaces will have similar problems or did Honda take a different appraoch??
We got the same info from Acura that they don't sell the integrated ipod thing anymore... it makes sense to me that it would be hard to keep up with Apple.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, the GMX-320, iPod kit, and TellPhone 5000vi are now on the way. May or may not make it before the weekend. I'll probably do the installation one night next week when I have a few hours free.

I'll make sure to take plenty of photos (unless I break something, and then I might skip over that part of the interior dissection to avoid the embarrassment). Hey, these will probably be the first pics of our Enclave I upload to a gallery. Maybe I'll take an exterior shot too just for the **** of it. :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
ya do take an exterior shot! you could even post it now if you want!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts