EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My radar detector is shutting itself off after short periods. Any idea why? It is a newer unit (3mths) and is voice activated so it says it is shutting down. I've used it in two other cars and haven't had this happen. Is there possibly too much power for the front outlet?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello,
Have you checked your outlet to see if indeed is working ,most of the new radar detectors seem to run on anything from 12 to 18 volts. To me it almost sounds like you aren't getting any power and the unit is shutting itself of to conserve energy.....hey but it's just a thought.
Best
Rob

G

·
i wish radar dectors were not illeagle here, its so bad if you have one and are cought using it you could loose your licence for 3 months and be fined 1000 dollars.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Enclavious said:
My radar detector is shutting itself off after short periods. Any idea why? It is a newer unit (3mths) and is voice activated so it says it is shutting down. I've used it in two other cars and haven't had this happen. Is there possibly too much power for the front outlet?
It's not likely a power problem. I assume the car is running when this happens. I'm thinking a power port is "timing out" on you, like the lights do (if left on accidentally) Try a different port. There's the one on dash, also under the lift out tray, in center console, or rear of center console. Try one temporarily. If still continues, I've seen power plugs on many devices that don't fit well into the outlet. They lose connections with ride vibration. Try to "fiddle" or expand/clean the contacts on the plug, a bit.
This is a strange one?

·
Registered
16 Posts
i wish radar dectors were not illeagle here, its so bad if you have one and are cought using it you could loose your licence for 3 months and be fined 1000 dollars
Just curious.......
Does that mean if I drive from CA to VA with a radar detector, and I will be fined by the police even I am
not a VA resident?

G

·
yes, weather your a resident or not. it is not only illeagel to use it but even if you have it in your car, the only way it is leagle is if you put it in the truck where it can not be reached.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just returned from a 2500 mile trip using a radar detector that was plugged into the outlet below the radio just to the right of the transmission selector and it worked just fine...nothing timed out.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking something may be off with the plug b/c I tried a portable dvd player and it stopped playing also but would restart so it's not blowing the fuse. The connection does not appear to be loose at all. I guess I will have to locate a dealer locally and take it in to have it checked. My closest dealer is 20 minutes away. Not sure why there aren't more Buick dealers here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts