EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new Enclave (three days ago). One reason for getting this vehicle was the advertised dinghy towing capability. No sooner do I bring it home I find there is a lot of forum chatter here and on sister sites about a problem with the battery going dead during towing. The dealer had told me all you need to do is pull one fuse. I read the manual and it says disconnect the battery. I also see a TSB that says pull the fuse. What is the current official guideline? Pull the fuse or disconnect. The stuff I have read on-line is at least 6 months old. Does anyone have a good update on this issue? any good ideas on how to make the Enclave easily towable? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
gigeyes
Welcome to the forum. :welcome:
Be patient, someone here will have an answer.

MRBUICK

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too purchased this veh to be able to dinghy tow. I installed a battery disconnect switch under the hood to keep from running down the battery. It works great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My book said to pull fuse on Batt 1. We just bought the car in May 08. I also went to buy an extra fuse and they do not show it in there parts book. So they called GM and ask about it and they gave them the part number and I ordered two of them just to be safe. So if the Buick dealer can't find a part number have them call GM and they will get it.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
alpinetravels said:
I too purchased this veh to be able to dinghy tow. I installed a battery disconnect switch under the hood to keep from running down the battery. It works great.
Great idea! I put a batt disconnect switch on the vehicles I've towed too. But on the Lambda vehicles the battery is a bit remote from the undehood area. How did you do it? Did you run heavy cables from batt?... or did you use relay?

Planning to buy an Enclave so I'd like to plan that as well.

.. RP

PS: By the way, did you get the Blue Ox baseplate or Roadmaster? Did you install the baseplate yourself?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed the disconnect switch at the point where the battery cable terminates under the hood.

I used the Roasmaster system and had the factory installed it since I live nearby.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
alpinetravels said:
I installed the disconnect switch at the point where the battery cable terminates under the hood.

I used the Roasmaster system and had the factory installed it since I live nearby.
I also wound up putting in a disconnect switch. See http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=1969.0.

Have you run into any strange side affects after towing? I need to re-program the front window auto-up-down feature and remember to re-set the time after towing.

Did you install your Roadmaster base plate (bracket) for the tow bar? How'd it go? Did you wire for taillights through diodes?

There are only a few of us on the forum that are towing their Enclaves. It's always nice to hear about others experiences.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts