EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that this forum has helped my wife and I agree on the color, I'd like to hear some thoughts on some of the upgrades. Our plan is to order the CXL in Red Jewel with Ebony leather and the following options:
- Driver Confidence Package
- Entertainment Package #
We were going to pass on the confidence package originally, but with the Ebony interior, I thought the remote start (with A/C on) would be nice plus my wife really liked the rear park assist feature. We also both really enjoy music, so if we didn't get the Bose, we would have almost certainly gone with an aftermarket audio upgrade.

Other options that I am not including are:
- Luxury Package ($925 and not sure there is anything to justify it)
- Engine Block Heater (we live in Ohio and the Enclave will be garaged)
- Trailer Provisions (have no need to trailer anything and I don't want to disturb the Enclaves lines)
- DVD (I'm sure it is a great feature, but my kids each have a portable DVD player for long trips)
- Nav (I have a Garmin that I use for long trips, but I really like the thought of the backup camera - I might be convinced to go for Entertainment Package #3)
- Sunroof (seems like a nice feature, but not sure it is worth the expense)
- Chrome Wheels (look sharp, not sure if $900 and the fear of my wife scraping them against a curb in the first week make it a wise investment)

I need to draw the line somewhere and the vehicle I describe above will still be an excellent vehicle. I also realize there have been some similar posts in the past but I was hoping to revisit this a little.

Thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Well, I'll start with the sunroof. Radio up and sun roof open - that's great stress relief for me so I always get the sunroof. I don't know if you have kids but this is great too, "If you don't behave I'm going to close the sunroof now." Mommy power. ;D

Next, chrome wheels. I clip the back passenger side all the time. Don't worry about it. I have a CX with 18" wheels and they are so big that the rims are protected from most curbs. Now, how much does a tire cost? That's the real question.

:cheers:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really can't tell you which options to add, however I can tell you what thoughts went through my head. Some options can not be added later and others are much more expensive or don't integrate as well later.

There are things I consider important for different reasons. The trailering package for one. I have a Silverado for towing. I got it, not for towing, but for safety (rear-end accidents), and additional features like bike racks.

The luxury package contains a lot of little features I like. The engine block heater is not needed. The sun roof either you want it or your don't. The Nav is integrated into the car which makes it much easier to use. You don't have to worry about a valet parker walking off with it, its a bigger screen, its easier to hear and the backup camera which is important to me.

Lastly, think about washing those 18 inch wheels. The 19 inch wheels seem much much easier to wash. Think about getting the sponge into those little slots. You could always bring back curb feelers. It is a big Buick after all. http://www.phatpimpclothing.com/hi/phatpimp/getcurbfeelers.html

Good luck deciding. Also, remember its only money. You can't take it with you.

R

·
0 Posts
i would say that if it were me i would add the ent #3 and lux but i think you would be really happy with no 3 only, infact you will love it once you get it.

you get the back up camera, the voice controls of the radio and directions, and a nice clean look on the dash and the added plus of coolness factor.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My CXL is fully loaded but the options I would miss most: #1 believe it or not the remote start. Especially this summer it's beenso darn hot!!! It's great to cool off the car before you get in #2 my XM radio. you will get 3 months free but the subscription is worth it. Harder and harder to find 60's and 70's music on regular radio. #3 the sunroof. I have not used it much yet due to the hot weather but during fall and spring I enjoy the fresh air and the feeling of not being closed in. #4 the navigation and camera. I have to admit i don't rely on the camera much. Still like to look over my shoulder. Navigation is helpful when on trips to unfamiliar areas or trying to find alternate routes. Even though it is standard, I love the power liftgate. When loading groceries, etc.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Navigation

Backup Camera
I like the backup camera on our MDX - I use it all the time. However, my wife is the principal driver and never got used to it and does not use it - go figure.

Navigation
We have NAV on our MDX and on my BMW. It is nice being built in. However, as the vehicles get older, the maps and software gets increasingly out of date (kind of like a computer) and unless you keep the software current, it begins to make mistakes more and more (as new developments and roads come into play). The portable units are updateable simply by pugging into your PC via USB/Firewire cable and downloading updated maps and/or software.

And, I have compared the new features of portable units like the Garmin with features in the Acura and BMW and the Garmin is better (currently). I am sure the NAV in the Enclave is better than the 03 NAV in my Acura or the 02 NAV in my BMW, but I bet the 2010 NAV in a Garmin might be better than that in the 2008 Enclave (unless GM and you keep the Enclave's NAV updated). An added plus to portables is you can move them from car to car. The big minus to the portable units is the fact that they are,well, "not built in". Oh, one more plus for portable units - the very best portables are $300 - $500.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Anyone Ordered 18: Double Spoke Aluminum Wheel Option on CX?

With the CX there is a $225 option for an:

18" Double Spoke Machine Finished Aluminum Wheel

I have seen the standard CX wheel, which appears to be the same shape as this option. The optional wheel looks like it is the same as the standard except for the finish.

(Again, as I posted in another thread, I think we need to have a picture section of the forum, in addition to the gallery, where members can post (embed) pictures of just their wheels -that way people can study the wheels within a wheel thread instead of hunting all over the site for various wheel pics. Over time GM will release new wheels and some people will purchase interesting after market wheels too. A Wheel thread within a forum picture section where pictures are embedded within individual threads is the best way to display and show off visual differences, pros and cons, and the Enclave's beauty.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We started with Ent Pkg #1 to get the upgraded system (extra speakers) and everything else in my footnote, but the Tow Pkg. After reading about the Tow Pkg and the extra coolers for the transmission and engine I added it to our order. I will never tow with it we have a truck for that, but the extra coolers and the ability to put a bike rack on it is what swayed us. I really was not interested in the DVD option as I had it in my van. The kids could never agree on a movie, plus they both have portable DVD players. I thought that I would buy a portable nav system to make it easier to move and take on a trip if we travel.

We ended up upgrading to Ent Pkg #4 after all. I could/would still drop the DVD if I found one with Ent #3, but recently we found cases where the nav system would have come in handy plus I travel to swim meets quite a bit with my kids and figured it would be useful. There is also a thread here that showed the limitations visually when just using the mirrors to back-up so we felt the back-up camera would be a great feature to have.

I do now have concerns about how the Nav system is updated though? maybe a :hijacked: if anyone can comment? Can it only be done by the dealer or can I bring out my laptop and "plug" it in, maybe through OnStar??????

·
Registered
577 Posts
muljo said:
We started with Ent Pkg #1 to get the upgraded system (extra speakers) and everything else in my footnote, but the Tow Pkg. After reading about the Tow Pkg and the extra coolers for the transmission and engine I added it to our order. I will never tow with it we have a truck for that, but the extra coolers and the ability to put a bike rack on it is what swayed us. I really was not interested in the DVD option as I had it in my van. The kids could never agree on a movie, plus they both have portable DVD players. I thought that I would buy a portable nav system to make it easier to move and take on a trip if we travel.

We ended up upgrading to Ent Pkg #4 after all. I could/would still drop the DVD if I found one with Ent #3, but recently we found cases where the nav system would have come in handy plus I travel to swim meets quite a bit with my kids and figured it would be useful. There is also a thread here that showed the limitations visually when just using the mirrors to back-up so we felt the back-up camera would be a great feature to have.

I do now have concerns about how the Nav system is updated though? maybe a :hijacked: if anyone can comment? Can it only be done by the dealer or can I bring out my laptop and "plug" it in, maybe through OnStar??????
Currently to upgrade the NAV you pay GM money about $150-200 and they send a DVD that you insert and it does the upgrade.

·
Registered
184 Posts
All I asked for in my Enclave was the Entertainment Package #2 with the DVD.
We would have loved the Navigation but it would have added over $2300 to the total price. We figure we can buy our own navigation eventually for a few hundred. I would have loved to have the back-up camera..what I don't have, I won't miss.. :(
My husband wanted the AWD/Drivers confidence and the luxury package and was willing to wait for that --he likes the headlamps and the folding outside mirrors.
We also chose to stay with the standard 19" wheels..Their just as nice.

What we also passed on:
Sunroofs-my husband has the sunroof in his Avalanche and never opens it. We saved $1300 not ordering the sunroofs.
Towing-we don't tow anything.
Engine Block heater and cargo nets - I know these are inexpensive but we didn't get either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4kids, I tend to agree with you on your comments. The sunroof is something I have never had, so I don't know if I will miss it or not. We have no need for towing or the engine block heater as well. The thing that I am leaning towards the most is the Nav system with backup camera. The backup camera is the feature I like the most. We have replaced 4 (yes 4) rear bumpers on my wife's Montana. I wish the Enclave was offered with the camera, but not the Nav. Mazda's CX-9 offers a backup camera whose display is integrated into the rear view mirror for around $500. The cost of a map upgrade in the Enclave is not much less than purchasing a new Garmin. That being said, having the integrated map may really help her out as well and she wouldn't have to be constantly removing the Garmin every time she parks.

As for the luxury package, I like the articulating headlamps and folding mirrors as well but don't know if I like them that much. One thing that might make it more attractive would be if the power tilt and telescoping steering column was integrated with the seat memory. Does anyone know if that is the case or not?

You mentioned that you are staying with the standard wheels. I have never seen the standard wheels on an Enclave so I do not know what they look like. If they look sharp, I will not worry about the chrome. Does anyone have any good pictures of the standard wheels?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I would recommend going with Ent Pkg #3 for Nav and Backup camera and dropping Driver Confidence package. With the camera you almost do not need the parking sensor.

As someone has already tested, Remote Start is alread built-in to the vehicle you are just getting the remote button the fob. You can order that separately, and in my opinion heated Winshield fluid is good to have but is not a must have.

at least you can save some money by not having the driver conf and roll that in to your Ent# 3. You get Bose, Nav and backup camera!

Luxury package is as the name says luxury package, sure I love the articulating headlamps and power folding mirrors but i can certainly live without them. If you need to plug or charge those portable DVD players, you can get a 110V inverter from RadioShack or Ebay anywhere from $20 to $75.

If it snows where you live then I would recommend getting AWD, although some would argue here, but I like to be safe then sorry.

I dont have the chrome wheels, I really wanted them but what I have is the closest to what was available and I didn't have time to wait for the order. Now that I have been driving for a month, I really dont even miss them. I guess I am happy that I saved $900 this way. Like Axiama, I feared my wife would scratch them on the driveway, I have belgian blocks on both sides of the driveway and it is narrow for the Enclave.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Yes the steering column is integrated with the memory seats. Not only that but the system recognizes remote keyless fobs, it automatically adjusts the seats, mirrors and steering columns depending on which remote was used to open/remote start the vehicle.

I love that too!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well, I'm of the "if you're paying that much already, get it equipped the way you really want" camp, so I'm a bit biased, but here are my opinions of the options you need to carefully consider:

Nav: Not for the navigation, which is nice but not entirely needed when portable + Onstar Turn-by-Turn really could cover just all of the navigation features, but for two other reasons... (1) The backup camera, which is great for parking really close to things (and visually more comforting than an ultrasonic warning that you must trust and/or get used to just how its range works) and as a huge safety factor considering the limited rear visibility out of the back window... if you have kids, or kids are around much, this is almost a must to me. (2) The touch screen. It isn't all just a "coolness" thing, it's that the touch screen gives you a lot of control and flexibility over the audio/video/navigation/camera/etc. functions and the organization is great. I always hated on factory radios having to hunt for the magic button combinations that would let me set the clock, or change the display brightness, or set preset stations, etc. The touch screen has a really nice, clean, and organized tab & page system that is intuitive and easy to navigate. Setting the clock or changing brightness is so simple you don't need to read the instructions. Searching for radio stations, XM stations, or browsing your mp3 CD or iPod by category using the nested tabs is very quick and intuitive. I also really like the way the soft (touchscreen) "favorites" buttons can be set for XM, FM, or AM, and you can program practically as many of them as you want. A bonus is that things like changing to any radio or XM station you want, changing screen illumination, entering Nav destinations that are in your address book, controlling the CD/DVD, etc. can be controlled by voice commands.

Luxury: Mostly for the seat/mirror/steering wheel memory function when you have more than one driver. It's almost a must. The other stuff in the package is nice, but that alone makes both me and my wife exceptionally happy when swapping drivers (and keeps the peace in the family). Now, if only the rearview mirror were motorized and included in memory settings, like some Mercedes of years past were, that would be perfect.

Things I think could go either way depending on preference and finances:

Driver Confidence: Ultrasonic isn't really necessary if you have the camera, but one of the two is a must for a vehicle of this size and with its visibility. Also, if you live anywhere in the country that gets either really hot in the summer or really cold in the winter (which is practially everywhere but SanFrancisco) the remote start is really, really nice but something you could live without if needed. I know that in the South, having the car temp dropped by ten or twenty degrees by the time we get to it in a grocery parking lot makes all the difference in the world.

Sunroof: Could go either way. I really like them... some don't see the use. It is true that they lower the headliner by an inch or two, but the recess for the sunroof itself and being able to have light come in the top and you see out the top actually makes the interior seem that much more open and roomy to me. I don't open sunroofs that often... if they were just fixed glass with shades (like the rear) I'd be perfectly happy, but I'll pay for the motor to get the view. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
osli said:
Well, I'm of the "if you're paying that much already, get it equipped the way you really want" camp, so I'm a bit biased, but here are my opinions of the options you need to carefully consider:
I'm in the "I'm not paying for anything I don't want" camp (i.e. cheap). For example, I like the white diamond, but I play out this fantasy where I'm holding $750 in my hand. To my left is a weekend getaway and to my right is a can of paint. Somehow, in this fantasy, I can never turn over $750 for a can of paint. :tard: I did the same thing with the towing package and the NAV system.

So, if you want it, think it will be handy, have to have it - then buy it. If you don't want it, skip it. I think someone posted earlier that if you don't have it you won't miss it. That's true.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
axiama said:
I'm in the "I'm not paying for anything I don't want" camp (i.e. cheap). For example, I like the white diamond, but I play out this fantasy where I'm holding $750 in my hand. To my left is a weekend getaway and to my right is a can of paint. Somehow, in this fantasy, I can never turn over $750 for a can of paint. :tard: I did the same thing with the towing package and the NAV system.

So, if you want it, think it will be handy, have to have it - then buy it. If you don't want it, skip it. I think someone posted earlier that if you don't have it you won't miss it. That's true.
:ditto:

R

·
0 Posts
axiama said:

i disagree with what you dont have you wont miss, as if i knew i could have remote start and i didn't get it i would always someware in the back of my mind wonder what it would have been like to get remote start and the same goes with all of the options.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Sorry, but that may be becuase you are 20 and living with your parents and do not have as much responsibilities as others on this board do.

·
Registered
214 Posts
axiama said:
For example, I like the white diamond, but I play out this fantasy where I'm holding $750 in my hand. To my left is a weekend getaway and to my right is a can of paint.
1 Weekend getaway
260 Weekends wishing you had your favorite color

Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I'll still take the beach my blue-gold friend.

FREE PAINT!!! FREE PAINT!!! FREE PAINT!!![/color]

1 - 20 of 41 Posts