EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, wasn't sure where to post this, but have to tell you my story. Went shopping today. At my last stop before heading for home I stopped at my favorite SuperTarget store. I usually try to park with the "cart corral" on one side to avoid door dings or worse. At least on one side. Well, I got back to my car and someone had rammed the bars of the corral into the side of my Enclave. Fortunately it made contact at the line behind and above the rear tire where the seam is and there was NO damage at all (I'll see it better in the light of day), but I could not feel any scratches or dents. I really don't know how this happened and why it didn't do more damage, but I will think twice before I park near one of those again. I knew they weren't attach to the ground by much, but certainly never thought one could be moved nearly 3 feet! [/color] :friday:

If I find out one of you did this as a joke...and I don't put it past any one of you...just remember, paybacks are ****!!!!! :angryfire:

·
Registered
52 Posts
(((((Rosita)))) sorry your baby got hurt. We fortunately have a handicapped placard so we sometimes have more "free" space surrounding us.

However, sad story about my daughter's car when she first bought it .... an Audi. Hit twice by shopping carts. First one a woman placed it improperly, it came off the curb, across the parking lot and struck my daughter's car. The woman at first claimed she wasn't to blame but one of the store clerks saw it happen, even gave a disposable camera for taking photos.

2nd time store clerk did the damage. He was helping her lift some heavy items in her trunk ... 2 cases of oil. Took the first one out of the cart, the cart slipped and the front end of the vehicle. Store did not want to take responsibility because they said it was not customary to help patrons. My daughter (32 but was 28 at the time) has had 2 back surgeries and also has a handicapped placard and was parked in handicap spot. When the store refused she got online and sent an e-mail to parent company and raised issue about them treating all customer like this let alone handicapped. And, that if necessary she would raise an Americans with Disabilities complaint. That same day they responded, the next day they called her and within the week she received a check for damages.

So, those darn carts and corrals have a life of their own .... hope the light doesn't reveal any damage.

Alicia

·
Registered
134 Posts
Some parking "rules" to avoid parking lot damage:
1. Park away from the stores & walk ... good exercise and no cars around yours.
2. Park facing upwind ... the wind won't blow a door into your, or others, car.
3.Park next to 4 door cars, doors are shorter, less likely to reach your car.
No charge for this info! ;D

·
Registered
133 Posts
For all cars I've owned, I have used best practice in parking. Sometimes an idiot still parks next to me and inflict damage. I remember parking far away from everyone at a mall. When I came back, a big pickup was next to me and I could barely get in the driver side. Another time at another mall parking lot, I parked away from everyone again and found a shopping cart dinged the passenger side door. Of course my assumption is this was deliberate. Although I still park away sometimes, most of the time I say what the heck and park at the first open spot I see.

·
Registered
52 Posts
:cheers: Coffee and New .... great suggestions, thank you. :thumb:

Alicia

·
Registered
484 Posts
My hubby (TechnoMarvel) is the King of Parking. He goes to extra lengths to keep his Lexus GS 430 from being nicked. When we go anywhere, we drive into a space and then back out as it just doesn't seem right to him. I expect this wherever we go. He very carefully chooses the cars he wants to park next to. As a result, no dings or scratches at all on the sides of the Lexus.

But, someone has put a pretty deep small circle dent in the rear of his car. We have no clue as to how it got there, but it looks deliberate. It is the size of an auto cigarette lighter. In fact, it looks as though they took a lighter and hammered it into the car.

I guess the moral of this story is as hard as we try to protect our belongings, there is always some jerk lurking to get back at you for having something nice. Should we call it the "jerk lurk"
factor? :uzi:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I always park out in never-neverland on an end space, with the tires as close to the curb as I can get them. Even if I'm driving my "junker" car. As a result, I incur few dings from inconsiderate idiots. You will always find those who deliberately damage your property; I don't sweat it since there's nothing you can do about it.

I get mad when I see someone parked sideways across 4 or 5 spaces, even if they are in the middle of nowhere. I understand why they do it but it's just not right and shouldn't be done.

·
Registered
333 Posts
BadAV said:
I always park out in never-neverland on an end space, with the tires as close to the curb as I can get them. Even if I'm driving my "junker" car. As a result, I incur few dings from inconsiderate idiots. You will always find those who deliberately damage your property; I don't sweat it since there's nothing you can do about it.

I get mad when I see someone parked sideways across 4 or 5 spaces, even if they are in the middle of nowhere. I understand why they do it but it's just not right and shouldn't be done.
I'm extremely careful of where I park as well.

This thread reminds me of a "Home Improvement" episode. Jill takes the classic '55 Nomad out and gets a door ding. Tim asked if she had consulted his "approved parking spots in the greater Detriot area" booklet. He takes it to get an estimate and stops at the job-site only to drop an "I" beam on the car. He gets home, Jill asked how long will it take to fix the scratch on the Nomad, he says something like 8 months.....funny episode because it hits so close to home!

My wife and I always joke about the "approved parking spots" at our frequent destinations....best of luck keeping them nice!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Add me to the list of obsessive/compulsive parkers. I keep away from the "cart corrals", because I've seen way too many times people that give their carts a big SHOVE from yards away, because they're too lazy to take the cart all the way to the corral, and the carts many times go off course into nearby vehicles! htrdgrma's post made me laugh cuz I see myself in her husband's behavior. ;D

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have developed patience which is a positive byproduct. I just ::) and give TechnoMarvel a :-*

Gramma

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wow, I've been out for so long, I forgot I can actually post instead of lurking :happy: Anyways, I've had my other car for five years now I don't have one single ding on it. I always have the same rules as most of you when it comes to parking - Far from most population, beside an island or handicapped parking, and knowing which neighbors I'm parking with. When on a restaurant or fast food joint, we try to park where we can see Flava. When we're on a tight space and we see someone pulling in right beside, we go out and pretend we're getting something from the car or arm and disarm. That way they know the owner is close by and have the presence to be careful.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
ho ho ho it's the holidays. I took my coupe and parked way far away, but I happened to see this Enclave (hopefully the owner will appreciate I blacked-out their plate, always wanted to do that)....

How to avoid, that is the question...

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Viper said:
People have no respect for other others possessions. :angryfire:
I think it's a no-win situation and the only thing we can do is park far away. I always park with the pass. side curbed, and as far as possible. The walk doesn't hurt me, and it's so far away the spot is undesirable. Even when someone parks next to me, their pass. side is to my driver's side, and there's a good chance there's no pass. getting out.

I've confronted people on 3 occasions who dinged my Nissan, twice the people walked away, once the person challenged me (it was a female) and told me to go f myself. I told her you dinged my car, and you're telling me that? She said please, go and call the cops and get an education. LOL

·
Registered
881 Posts
Unfortunately, it seems that there is no "parking safely" to avoid dings. Way to many times I have parked as far as possible (in a lot) from the entry,
no cars within five or six spaces, only to come back and find a vehicle parked right up against mine. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

And with shopping carts, it just seems that a vast majority of shoppers are too d--- lazy to put a cart in a collection spot, or even
to return it to the store. I hope I never get so lazy that I have to leave a cart in the middle of a space, or even in the middle of the traffic lane. :banghead: :banghead:

I love mankind, it is just people that I can't stand. ::)

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
The worst place is Costco. On my other forum, someone will innocently get the entire front corner of their car scraped. They'll begin their post like, "I can't believe this. We went to Costco..." And others will chime in, there's your first mistake right there. I take another car (a beater) to Costco.

Part of the experience seems to be to leave your shopping cart either at the front corner of your space, or mushed into someone else's vehicle. Really, really bad. I don't see that at BJ's, just Costco.... :angryfire:

·
Registered
441 Posts
john 070 said:
The worst place is Costco. On my other forum, someone will innocently get the entire front corner of their car scraped. They'll begin their post like, "I can't believe this. We went to Costco..." And others will chime in, there's your first mistake right there. I take another car (a beater) to Costco.

Part of the experience seems to be to leave your shopping cart either at the front corner of your space, or mushed into someone else's vehicle. Really, really bad. I don't see that at BJ's, just Costco.... :angryfire:
Good grief, nothing like data driven research.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I always start out with a new vehicle parking way away from everyone. It annoys my wife. Then after a while I end up lazy and parking closer. I don't worry too much about it these days as long as they don't fling a door hard enough to dent it. I've seen lots of paint transfer/light scratches from doors, but it usually polishes out easy.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Not to excuse the cart left up against that Enclave in the photo above, but I would dare say the owner doesn't care that much for their vehicle having all those stickers (or magnets) on the PAINT!

As for the blacking out of the license plate....I still don't get why we need to do that, even on TV shows they blur the plate number....what can someone do with that info? Is there some website where we can look up people's plate and see where they live, name, etc? :confused: I drive around with mine showing every day, nothing's happened yet. ::)

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I myself am pretty much as anal today as I was almost 3 years ago when I took delivery......and try to keep my Enclave away from roaming doors as much as humanly possible.

I admit to still using two spaces to park, though absolutely never when there's even close to a limited amount of parking in a given area of the lot. I'll virtually always park in the back of the property or at the extreme perimeter. Happily, I have my wife well-trained; from what I can tell, she continues to do the same thing (not sure about the two spaces, though).

For all intents and purposes, the side body panels of my Enclave remain largely as pristine as the day I drive the vehicle home.....though I do have a couple gouges on the lower body plastic trim (one on the rear bumper and another on the left rear wheel opening surround).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts