EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search and found a few articulating headlight threads, but nothing this specific.

I'm pretty confident based on the CXL2/Luxury package on my 08 E that I should have the articulating headlights feature. Apparently when one starts the vehicle in low ambient light condition and the HIDs turn on, the lights should "sweep"

Mine does not do this...I did not notice anything in the settings menu accessed via DIC that addressed this..am I missing something, or is this "somewhat useful gimmick" busted on my bus!?

·
Registered
10,405 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ours are pretty obvious when going around corners at low speed in our neighborhood. If you aren't seeing anything move, then I would say they aren't working.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
We don't have them on the CXL1, but on the BMW, if the lamps are manually turned on, they do not swivel. If they turn on while set on auto, they will. It's very obvious when the wheel is turned. Also, the lights will shine to the right far more than they will to the left. I suppose in countries where they drive on the left, this is the other way around. If you turn your wheels to the extreme right, the lamps should noticeably be turned to the right....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, looks like there is nothing posted that I didnt find already. I guess they don't work (anymore), never did actually since I've owned it.

Anyone know the RPO code, so at least I can check my options list and see if its there at all! :thumb:

·
Registered
820 Posts
deacon_blues said:
If I remember correctly, TSH is the code. I'll double-check on my build sheet.
TSH is the correct RPO code.

BTW, there was no CXL2 in 2008. That started in 2010.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the CXL/CXL2 clarification and for the confirmation of the RPO, I'll go have a look.

If its busted, then so be it...best to be broken in the properly aimed position rather then cross eyed :beer: :drunk:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
According to my old 08 documents it appears as though the articulating headlights were RPO code TSH but were included as part of the Luxury Package (PCK). I do not see reference to a stand-alone option. Here is some info from a .pdf I have:

PCK - Luxury Package includes (DNP) outside, power folding,
auto-dimming driver side, body-color, heated mirrors with
turn signal indicators, (TSH) articulating headlamps, (N38)
power, tilt and telescopic steering column and (KV1) 110
volt inverter

If you have those other options I am guessing they have broken on your vehicle.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
As long as the headlights appear to be aimed properly I would not sweat it. I think the articulation is kind of neat but I would not really miss it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
In the under-hood fuse block, you will find a fuse labeled AFS(for Adaptive Forward lighting System). It is in the top right position. That is the fuse for the articulating headlamp system. You might want to check it to see if it is the cause of your issue(or if someone has pulled the fuse for any reason). If you are unsure as to location, check the fuse block diagram in the owner's manual.

As others have already confirmed, TSH is the RPO code.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The fuse is there for sure, found it without a problem. Couldn't yank it out though. I need to dig up my fuse puller tool in the Grand Prix, even though the manual says use your fingers...lol, I dont have huge hands, but you'll have to be pretty dainty and dexterous to get out that small 15A fuse!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Speaking only for myself, I still find the articulating headlights to be among the most useless options/features I've ever seen. I understand some find them a suitable alternate to traditional cornering lights, but I've yet to experience their benefits in return for the added mechanical/electrical complexity (and associated added cost).

·
Registered
703 Posts
Jim W said:
The fuse is there for sure, found it without a problem. Couldn't yank it out though. I need to dig up my fuse puller tool in the Grand Prix, even though the manual says use your fingers...lol, I dont have huge hands, but you'll have to be pretty dainty and dexterous to get out that small 15A fuse!
There should be fuse puller snapped into the lid of the fusebox. And this may be an obvious question, but is your B2B Warranty expired? If not it should be covered (the warranty doesn't cover the actual bulb itself but the operation of the headlights IS covered).

·
Registered
556 Posts
I still find the articulating headlights to be among the most useless options/features I've ever seen.
I agree! I had an LTD, Toronado, and a Bonneville with real conering lights and they were all very functional and is a safety item that should be brought back to production - especially since they could be quite small using LED lights today.

Speaking of bringing something back - How many here realize the frequently mentioned "Hill Holder" was introduced in the mid 30's by (I think) Studebaker?

Everything old is new again.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Blue Oval said:
I agree! I had an LTD, Toronado, and a Bonneville with real conering lights and they were all very functional and is a safety item that should be brought back to production - especially since they could be quite small using LED lights today.[/color]

Speaking of bringing something back - How many here realize the frequently mentioned "Hill Holder" was introduced in the mid 30's by (I think) Studebaker?[/color]

Everything old is new again.
My 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue had cornering lamps, but they were rarely helpful since their beam was weak and their distance was extremely short. I do not miss them, nor do I have adaptive headlamps on my Enclave. The excellent dispersion of the Enclave's standard HID Xenon lamps provide very good peripheral illumination, in my opinion, anyway.
[/color]
Wow! I had no idea that the technology, in some form, was that old![/color]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Jim,

You probably found your answer by now, but just in case you didn't......the headlights have to be on Auto for the articulating option to work. If it's on manual (i.e. if you turned the headlights on manually), it won't work....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
12 Participants
jeptik
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing