EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

241 - 260 of 300 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Most folks have been quoted in the $3,500 ballpark for a GM certified remanufactured transaxle. Many have gotten partial GM assistance on the bill, too. But, as the affected lambdas are aging, it seems that GM is becoming less willing to help out. Good luck at another dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I only posted build year in the previous response as requested. I bought my 2009 3 years ago through dealer auction via a broker dealer. I was looking for third row seating and a comfortable ride for 2 kids and all the storage space needed that goes with that. Had I been aware of the wave plate failure, I wouldn't have bought the Enclave. I had a VW Touareg prior but it didn't have a 3rd row and so decided I would by an American car. What a big mistake! It is not the fact that I had to pay for a repair that upsets me, it is the fact that GM is clearly aware of this as a problem with the build years that have been previously noted. This isn't a random failure of a handful of vehicles. It is a fairly systemic failure of the same transmission design. I am not trying to entice a political discussion, but I am appalled that GM won't come forward and cover the cost of the repair for those out of warranty. After going to the brink of bankruptcy and being rescued with public funds, you would think that customer care/satisfaction would be important to GM, but apparently not. I won't be buying a GM again.

That said I believe the difference of a $1000K is some of the repair costs may be due to the surcharge that is charged if the transmission housing isn't returned to GM. As I was told by more than one dealer, if the housing isn't returned to GM, there is a surcharge of $1000. Once the housing is returned, GM reimburses the $1000.

Anyone have any suggestions on another vehicle with third row seating that is worthy of a look?

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, Buick just called. They are not going to do anything!! Oh wait a minute they say that the dealership has to tear the transmission down. THEN Buick will decide if they will help pay for it. If they don't, then we have to pay for fixing the transmission. Buick dealership here is the most expensive place. 5,201! If we choose not to use Buick dealership WE have to pay for the tear down for a price of $1500.00! I am so mad. I bought this Buick and really liked it but I will NEVER buy another Buick. They knew this transmission was poorly designed. No recall because it is not a safety issue. Let's see....if I am driving down I-10 and the transmission goes out, I wonder if it is a safety issue then. I am so mad

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
ford77nutt said:
So, Buick just called. They are not going to do anything!! Oh wait a minute they say that the dealership has to tear the transmission down. THEN Buick will decide if they will help pay for it. If they don't, then we have to pay for fixing the transmission. Buick dealership here is the most expensive place. 5,201! If we choose not to use Buick dealership WE have to pay for the tear down for a price of $1500.00! I am so mad. I bought this Buick and really liked it but I will NEVER buy another Buick. They knew this transmission was poorly designed. No recall because it is not a safety issue. Let's see....if I am driving down I-10 and the transmission goes out, I wonder if it is a safety issue then. I am so mad
Ford77nutt, you need to press harder. Check this link:
http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=24074.new#new

·
Registered
5 Posts
I suggest messaging one of the Buick customer service representatives from this forum. They have helped others with cost-sharing as a courtesy.

ford77nutt said:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had my wave plate blow up this weekend. I have had the car for 62 months and 102,000 miles. Uggh. Dealer came back with 4400 to replace the tranny with a factory certified one. Ask them to go back and find out what GM would do to help. Within an hour, the dealer called back and said GM does a standard 60/40 split on this condition. Dealer will rebuild the tranny, cost $2300. GM covers about 1400 and I cover the other 900. This comes with a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. I am also having the timing chain replaced while at the dealer because of the P0008 code, which is covered to 120k. Wish they would just step up and cover the wave plate the same way. Still...much better than having to pay $4400.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
txamag89 said:
I just had my wave plate blow up this weekend. I have had the car for 62 months and 102,000 miles. Uggh. Dealer came back with 4400 to replace the tranny with a factory certified one. Ask them to go back and find out what GM would do to help. Within an hour, the dealer called back and said GM does a standard 60/40 split on this condition. Dealer will rebuild the tranny, cost $2300. GM covers about 1400 and I cover the other 900. This comes with a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. I am also having the timing chain replaced while at the dealer because of the P0008 code, which is covered to 120k. Wish they would just step up and cover the wave plate the same way. Still...much better than having to pay $4400.
I am sorry to read that you are another victim of the dreaded wave plate debacle. I suppose that 60% GM coverage out-of-warranty and a $900 final bill isn't too bad. The only concern that I have is the limited warranty on a rebuild versus a certified re-manufactured transmission. But, you can buy two rebuilds to one re-manufactured unit, so I guess the gamble is not a bad one. Good luck with the repair, and please keep us informed. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would hope that, as long as there are no immediate problems, the rebuilt transmission should last about as well as a new one. If nothing shows up in the first 12,000 miles, I would have to think it was put together well. However, for me, it probably means that I will be selling the car with a transmission that is still under warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quick question. I have an 08 CXL that has been performing erratically lately. Wierd downshifts, lag in takeoff (intermittent ), and difficulty backing up slight inclines when engine /tranny is cold. Dealer says wave plate and module need to be replaced. Working on assistance from recently expired ext warranty (several visits prior to expiration). Should I expect this to prevent the total tranny failure that I've been reading about, or is this just a dealer trying to 'pacify' me? Don't have mfg date, 'clave still at dealership.

·
Registered
159 Posts
ay3enclave said:
Quick question. I have an 08 CXL that has been performing erratically lately. Wierd downshifts, lag in takeoff (intermittent ), and difficulty backing up slight inclines when engine /tranny is cold. Dealer says wave plate and module need to be replaced. Working on assistance from recently expired ext warranty (several visits prior to expiration). Should I expect this to prevent the total tranny failure that I've been reading about, or is this just a dealer trying to 'pacify' me? Don't have mfg date, 'clave still at dealership.
Considering that the problem vintage spans the entire '08 production year (kind of mid '07 to mid '09 production) it seems reasonably likely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very similar to what I had on mine before the wave plate took out the entire transmission. Depending on how many miles you have, (I had 102k) I know GM is doing a 60/40 split on rebuilding the tranny. Mine cost about $900. My bet is it will cost you more than that if they just replace the wave plate without GMs help. This is a very well known problem, but if you do not talk about the fact that you know this, and ask them to get GM involved, they will just charge you to repair it.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
:facepalm: I really dislike hearing of owners with 102K that are experiencing this failure. I am at almost 97K, and my nerves are wracked everytime I pull out of the driveway thinking "today might be the day!". :(

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
That was the single biggest reason I traded in my Enclave. The worry...

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Tell me about it, cfedor. :eek:hno:
I know you feel the same way, Gold. Don't you ???

·
Registered
335 Posts
It is very common, just ask the tranny repair shops on how many they get. Check out on youtube. I cannot post the link but you can search 3 5 r waveplate.

There is one the owner is replacing it before it fails.

The shop that rebuilt my outlook did a traverse the week before.

241 - 260 of 300 Posts
About this Discussion
299 Replies
77 Participants
[email protected]
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing