EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

281 - 300 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
MRBUICK said:
I did NOT buy an extended warranty as I normally do not consider them money well spent. However, I received a letter from GM maybe 3 years ago stating that GM is extending the warranty for wave plate failures for 10 years/100,000 miles. As I am just a few months from 10 years, I trust that all will be covered.
If you are under 10 years and received a letter your VIN is probably one that is covered. If not, probably no.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
MRBUICK said:
Here I am at 48000 miles, built April 2007, delivered June 2007 and I have all the symptoms of a wave plate failure. Service Stabilitrack & Traction Control warnings coming on, and today the trans started slipping, getting sloppy changing gears and delay going into gear. Our 2008 Enclave is going in tomorrow for evaluation and I hope it makes it there as it is deteriorating rapidly. If not I will call On Star for a tow. In a few months the extended warranty will expire so I guess the timing is good considering the circumstances.
MRBUICK
I'm sorry that you're experiencing the dreaded wave plate issue. Thankfully, you're still covered by the extended wave plate warranty.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
So far, so good. Buick Roadside Assistance picked up the vehicle right on time this morning and delivered it to Green Brook Buick. The dealer was very accommodating and said it will be ready in a day or two. He said they likely have the parts in stock and that they have done many of these repairs over time.The service writer was absolutely amazed at the condition of "Ruby" and stated that she looks better than some one year old cars that come in for service. I will await the phone call and will report on my "new" dealer experience, good or bad.

MRBUICK

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Good news, the transmission is fully covered!

Bad news: UH OH
The dreaded check engine light and timing chain failure codes. With NO experience with this dealer, I did a little research about timing chain failures. It seems although my 2008 VIN is not covered under the extended warranty that covers some 2009's, some 2008's have failed early. I guess I will have to put my trust in them and authorized them to do the repair for $1988.00 (including tax). This will be the first major out-of-warranty repair in the almost 10 years we have owned this Enclave. If it was Lindeman Buick, I would never question them. I hope I am not being taken.

UPDATE: According to this thread http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=24657.0 some owners have paid $2400 to $2800 for timing chain replacement. The dealer did state that he did reduce the price a bit because some related disassembly was already done due to the wave plate repair. The dealer had mixed reviews on line, many loved them, and some utterly hated them. I guess I will wait and see.

MRBUICK

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Good luck with both repairs. Considering the extent of the job involved, $1,998 is quite reasonable and affordable. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Thanks Goldie.........
I am told that it will be ready tomorrow. Once things are completed, I will give a full report.
In my 43 years of driving, I have NEVER had a timing chain or timing belt issue, with some vehicles over 120,000 miles. I realize that new technologies brings complicated repairs, but am disappointed in the under 50,000 mile failure. Yes, the transmission could have cost me $4000-$5000 if the extended warranty had expired, which it will in 2 months, and for that I am grateful. I did not appreciate the surprise timing chain issue. I guess a $1988 out of pocket repair for the timing chain is not too bad averaged out at $199 per year, considering that it is the only major out-of-warranty repair in 10 years. (Not counting regular maintenance items like brakes & tires). It seems that as cars get more complicated, the repair frequency and costs get higher. I guess I will have to drive my 1972 Monte Carlo more, that I can fix myself!

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
March 1, and I picked up "Ruby" this morning. It was ready yesterday, but I could not get a ride to the dealer until this morning. Of course I could have walked it, but it would take about 3 hours (approx. 10 miles?)
It turns out they did NOT charge what they quoted, THEY CHARGED LESS........HUH??
$1988 quoted (tax included) but Fred, the service advisor applied a $225.00 "coupon", at least that's what he called it.
My expense was $1763.00 (tax included) for the timing chain replacement.
NO CHARGE of course for the transmission wave plate replacement.
With reported charges of $2400 to $2800 for the timing chain, I guess I did okay.
They also did the lift gate recall. I had been having issues with the interior lights sometimes not going out when all doors were closed and I then I closed the lift gate. Never a dead battery issue so I hope this resolved that issue.
All in all, I would grade Green Brook Buick an "A", even though I have nagging doubts whether I really needed the timing chain. When using "the forced to close by GM" Lindeman Buick, I never had those doubts. With the history of timing chain issues with the 2008 Enclave, I guess I will have to put my faith in the dealer. The dealer experience overall was excellent, with a washed car returned to me. Too bad it is raining now.

MRBUICK

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Day 2 and all seems to be in good order.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I received today a survey from Buick Roadside Assistance. I usually don't do surveys, but I did this one because the service was excellent. They came at the appointed time and were in regular phone contact. The driver was courteous and careful.

MRBUICK

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
:thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 3, 5 & reverse wave plate on my 07/2008 Enclave CXL AWD with 148k kms failed last week. Had it rebuilt under special warranty by a local GM dealer. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
vintrepid said:
The 3, 5 & reverse wave plate on my 07/2008 Enclave CXL AWD with 148k kms failed last week. Had it rebuilt under special warranty by a local GM dealer. :thumb:
Good deal! :thumb: I'm sorry that you experienced the infamous wave plate failure. :( But, good deal!! :cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
02/2008

The transmission failed at 66k miles and has been replaced then and now at 155k, it is shot again!!! The liftgate was fixed at 63k and now it is not working anymore. I got a recall on it while was working fine. Guess what? it stopped working. When I took it again to the dealer; he was stating that it has to do with the strats and the recall notification I received before was a wrong notification!

This is my first and my last Buick. I'm going back to Infiniti, I drove a G35x to 309K with same transmission and no major work on the engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
11 2007 was the Date of Manufacture of my 2008 Buick Enclave. I purchased the vehicle 01 2018, was 1 owner vehicle(my great uncle owned, he purchased new 01 2008 ) I purchased the vehicle with 73,916 miles. Like new, garaged vehicle. Took to Florida(from Ohio) March 2018 and wasn't until 12 2018 noticed the transmission slip and had re-built transmission installed in 01 2019 with 86,000 miles($4500). Found out went out of warranty 01 2018(10 yrs old). This is the first vehicle I have had a transmission problem with(First Vehicle purchased in 1977). My father drove a couple of Buicks in the 90s and no problems. Really let down that GM has left loyal GM owners or any owner with large repair cost for transmission and they know in a matter of time you are going to have to have a new transmission... I just hope I get a few good years with no other major problems.

281 - 300 of 300 Posts
About this Discussion
299 Replies
77 Participants
[email protected]
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing