EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my WDT Enclave today with my wife. I didn't want to order, because of the wait, so I looked around until a dealer had what I wanted and would give me supplier pricing. I finally got a dealer to agree to give me the supplier price. I located the vehicle last week, made a deal over the phone, it came in this past Wednesday but I couldn't pick it up until today. Anyhow, I'm pretty thrilled to be driving one now. It's a CXL with all options except NAV and chrome rims.

I do have a question. I took it for a drive tonight and noticed that my rearview mirror and driver side mirror had the auto dimming feature but the passenger side mirror did not. Is this what the vehicle is suppose to have or do I have a defective mirror? If it is correct the way it is, does anyone else think it's kind of annoying to have one side mirror with it and the other without?
My wife's Lexus RX330 has the auto dimming on all the mirrors.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Doesn't bother me at all. I never notice a problem with headlights blinding me from the passenger mirror.

·
Registered
344 Posts
:ditto: I've never noticed that it bothers me. I'll have to pay attention next time to see if it is dimming or not. I had the opposite complaint, my rearview mirror at times seems too dark! But I can't turn it off without turning off the compass. So I've just gotten used to it. It doesn't bother me anymore.

I do have a question though about the heated side mirrors. Do they only heat when you hit the front defogger? Or do they heat automatically at a certain outside temperature?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
ncalve: You are functioning correctly, the passenger side does not dim, just the rear view and the driver's side. You may be right in that it may seem a little cheap to do it that way, but I also agree with the others, that I am not usually looking there as much which is why they probably put in the cheaper mirror. Having said that, when changing lanes at night on a multi-lane road I could see how it would be annoying for you...in which case it would be nice if it dimmed.

Halle's mom, I may be wrong, but I believe it is the rear defroster switch that turns on the mirror heaters not the front. And the answer is yest they only come on with the defogger switch, again, I think rear. They do not come on automatically, although since the rear defroster comes on with the auto start switch, they are on when you auto start the car, but turn off when you manually start it.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Halle's mom said:
I had the opposite complaint, my rearview mirror at times seems too dark! But I can't turn it off without turning off the compass. So I've just gotten used to it. It doesn't bother me anymore.
I went through this also when we first got the vehicle. There is an ambient light sensor on the backside of the rear view mirror (facing the windshield). It is on the driver side of the mirror I believe. My wife had placed her work parking pass on the rear view mirror, covering the ambient light sensor. The vehicle always thought it was pitch black outside, even during the day. I removed the parking pass and voila, the mirror works fine.

Do you have anything on your mirror? If not, the sensor may be bad.

·
Registered
644 Posts
bsox and zman,

This is great information and really helps someone just waiting and learning -- more evidence of the importance of this site and all that can be learned. Thanks.

BB

·
Registered
33 Posts
zman said:
My wife had placed her work parking pass on the rear view mirror, covering the ambient light sensor. The vehicle always thought it was pitch black outside, even during the day. I removed the parking pass and voila, the mirror works fine.
Thanks for the tip zman. Finally picked up my Enclave last night and one of the first things I did when I got home was put my parking pass on the mirror. I can only imagine how PO'd I would have been today if I hadn't seen this post.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
That's one of the issues with being an early adopter. I had to learn from my own mistakes. ::)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts