EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Either putting the ENCLAVE out of PARK, or accelerating to a certain speed automatically locks the car doors. I don't like to drive with locked doors in case of an accident and someone needs to get me out of the car fast. Is there any way to over ride the automatic locking of the doors. My traded in TOYOTA AVALON had this feature. Right now, every time the autolock locks the door, I have to manually unlock the doors.
Other than that - love the car!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you choose the button with the tick mark in it on the centre console, you get the option to change the settings on automatic door lock. I've left it as is for now, but my whole childhood had it drummed into me that I should never lock a car door for the reasons you mention... so I'm umming and ahhing about changing it too.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
about a year ago my cousin and her two kids were driving down the highway and they were swithing highways or something and they were on a curve and one of the kids opened the back door! :eek: :eek: luckly they were all belted in :help:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would keep it so that it locks automatically. I'm somewhat paranoid that somebody might try to get in our car at a stop light (happened to somebody in Toronto a while back). I would think that the car doors unlock automatically if the airbags are deployed, or OnStar could send a signal once they know you've been in an accident and help is on the way. It's actually much safer to have the doors locked during impact, as you have a lesser chance of being ejected from the car. I know that the Rendezvous got horrible safety ratings because during the frontal crash test, the drivers side lock failed and the door flew open on impact.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Let them lock! For all the above reasons and more. If in an accident and someone wants to help, any stone will do it! Likewise you can slap a window with your keys and it will shatter. BUT.................

Interestingly enough, ALL USA driven autos must have windshield safety (laminated) glass, so forget that! But the Enclave (and a few other luxury vehicles like Lincoln Aviator) also have FRONT, SIDE DOORS laminated ,for noise suppression (and safety!). Like a windshield they will crack but be very hard to penetrate. Get to the rear doors or hatch glass, OR a Sunroof, if emergency egress is needed and DOORS are twisted shut!

Emergency crews know this the minute they try to smash glass and react accordingly. Bless those people :thumb:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I concur with most everyone else. Our Enclave locks but we have it set to only unlock the drivers door once parked. I think unlocking all of the doors could be less safe if someone tried to jump in once you park.

·
Registered
333 Posts
zman said:
I concur with most everyone else. Our Enclave locks but we have it set to only unlock the drivers door once parked. I think unlocking all of the doors could be less safe if someone tried to jump in once you park.
One of the crimes that has received some press lately is the gas station "snatch and grab"...when a woman is fueling her car, many leave their purse on the passenger seat, the perps drive up next to the car open the passenger door, grab the purse and they're gone!

The latest wrinkle is to smash the passenger window of cars if the doors are locked, that laminated glass in the Enclave may help!

Be careful out there!

link:
http://www.nbc6.net/news/11459399/detail.html?subid=10101481

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I agree with everyone else here, it is not that hard to open locks. I have not tried it in the Enclave, but in some of the Ford models, the driver door lock automatically unlocks when you pull the door opening lever from inside.

Plus it is not that hard for paramedics to break the windows.

Ours is set to unlock when the key is removed from ignition.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Good call Coop! have it unlock when key is removed.........NOT when put in Park!

Much safer that way. You maintain/control timing!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Good call Coop! have it unlock when key is removed.........NOT when put in Park!

Much safer that way. You maintain/control timing!
I didn't even know that was an option. I must have missed that. :eek:

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Jonv makes a vaild point. A door latch is much stronger in an impact when locked then unlocked. The reward of having it locked outweighs the risk of not having it locked IMO. :blob:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
zman said:
I didn't even know that was an option. I must have missed that. :eek:
Yes, there are a few nice options for unlocking the doors! (see page 3-67 of manual, the options are discussed.) We like the "drivers door Only unlocks at key out" VS any "unlock when putting into Park" option.

Lots of options in that DIC! :thumb:

·
Registered
344 Posts
jonv112 said:
I would keep it so that it locks automatically. I'm somewhat paranoid that somebody might try to get in our car at a stop light (happened to somebody in Toronto a while back). I would think that the car doors unlock automatically if the airbags are deployed, or OnStar could send a signal once they know you've been in an accident and help is on the way. It's actually much safer to have the doors locked during impact, as you have a lesser chance of being ejected from the car. I know that the Rendezvous got horrible safety ratings because during the frontal crash test, the drivers side lock failed and the door flew open on impact.
Good advice ... I have wondered about this also. I like the doors locking automatically when the car is put into Drive. However, being a little overly cautious, paranoid, just being a girl, or what have you, when I get in my car I IMMEDIATELY lock the doors, because too much time goes before I actually put the car into Drive. The thing that bugs me is at night, when I hit the door locks when I get in, the interior lights immediately go out and so I fumble to find the ignition. I don't know why they did that. :eek:hno:

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Yes, there are a few nice options for unlocking the doors! (see page 3-67 of manual, the options are discussed.) We like the "drivers door Only unlocks at key out" VS any "unlock when putting into Park" option.

Lots of options in that DIC! :thumb:
Wow you even beat me Smokin!! there is an option just to unlock driver's door when the key is removed? Ours unlock all doors. So when do the rest of the doors get unlocked?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
And it's hard to "beat" Coop!! Yes, see page 3-67 of owners manual. You can opt for drivers door only! If I have passengers, I hit the Unlock button manually for them when I know it's safe to do so.

Recently, one of my rear seat passengers would have opened his door into an oncoming bus, if he could have!! I looked into side mirrors and unlocked the doors manually for him, when safe to do so.

Works for us :thumb:

Both of my rear doors are set with the child safetly locks, so no one can open them from inside even when they are unlocked, my kids have a habbit to play with the levers, for that reason the child safety locks are on.

So all of our doors unlock togehter.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I know it is an old thread but I beleive that the original question has not been answered.

Is there a way to disable autolock? As per manual (and DIC in my E), there are only 2 options: to lock at speed and to lock when out of Park.

UNLOCK has an OFF option....

·
Registered
381 Posts
In event of a serious accident that the air bags deploy the doors automatically unlock. As for driving with the doors unlocked, if you haven't had the thrill of being stopped at a light and have someone try to carjack you are lucky, i did but was able to run the light and leave the bad guy with a sore hand.
Your much safer with the doors locked.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
redvett said:
In event of a serious accident that the air bags deploy the doors automatically unlock. As for driving with the doors unlocked, if you haven't had the thrill of being stopped at a light and have someone try to carjack you are lucky, i did but was able to run the light and leave the bad guy with a sore hand.
Your much safer with the doors locked.
And this is becoming more common irrespective of what part of the country one lives in...

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
I learned to drive in NYC. I was taught to keep the doors locked at all times! :uzi:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts