EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to any GM product, so bear with me. How is it good that the automatic headlights can't be turned off permanently. Yes I know you can switch off the feature temporarily, but why not ALWAYS off? They come on in the garage in the middle of the day, causing the instrument panel to dim as though it is night, and it doesn't reset for more than 30 seconds. My wife is annoyed that the only "workaround" is to click the switch to the left EVERY time she starts the vehicle. Is there a feedback place online?

Further, on that troublesome dial, is it just me, or can you NOT dim the instrument panel in the daytime? I drove it today, and found that the default and ONLY setting for the instrument panel is on FULL high. Not user modifiable, twirling the dimmer had no effect in the daytime. It is annoyingly bright to me and is inconceivable that the driver cannot adjust this during the day. At first I called the dealer and he was telling me it was a fault and should be brought in, but I had a feeling he was wrong. Sure enough, when I pulled into that same garage, the headlights magically came on, and I magically regained control of the panel dimmer.

Not to worry, I love this car, but am I wrong about this? Are these "features" really well thought out? I am really frustrated by this.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I didn't (don't) think it is too bright during the day; having it come on for 30 seconds won't cause problems.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Years ago the nearby Verizon shop installed a built-in hands-off cellphone system in our car (not an Enclave). The auto-on lights went on in Verizon's work area, and by the time the job was finished there wasn't enough juice left to start the vehicle. So, yes, being able to permanently disable this can be useful on occasion.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
chazcron , I SEE your issue ;) but honestly, it doesn't bother me. As you no doubt are aware, people forget to turn on lites at nite, for several miles of driving sometimes. So it is a safety issue, as well as a luxury feature too! ( I like the auto shut-off , 30 seconds after I park at at nite......adjustable!)) I like them performing automatically, at dawn. And when my garage is hi-lighted, each morning, it just reminds me to clean it up!

So to your query, GM (and now other auto mans.) are concerned that if you could turn them off permanently (E.I....they become fully manual) you might be driving around at nite, w/o headlites. Guess they could have offered it as a programmable feature, but most love it. The temporary shut-off fills my needs. Glad you love the car, overall. She's a beauty for sure!

The dash brightness in daytime, never occurred to me? Sorry. Don't know how to resolve that one. Maybe wear sunglasses? :D

lingohocken the tech who did your install was an idiot. I did auto alarms years ago, and you ALWAYS shut off lites, heaters etc, if you had to work with key ON, for more than a few minutes. It's AUTO 101.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so I allcapped five WORDS ;D. I do get the safety issue, but not offering daytime dimming makes no sense to me. One more observation, the passenger has to lean over to see what the outside temp is. Also, how can I convince my wife not to fill one third of the side mirrors with the side of the Clave?

·
Registered
389 Posts
lingohocken said:
Years ago the nearby Verizon shop installed a built-in hands-off cellphone system on our car (not an Enclave). The auto-on lights went on in Verizon's work area, and by the time the job was finished there wasn't enough juice left to start the vehicle. So, yes, being able to permanently disable this can be useful on occasion.
GM has had rundown protection in most cars for years. My '99 Silverado does, as does the Enclave. I really doubt it will be a problem.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I always chuckle everytime I approach someone driving around in their new car after dusk with their headlights off. GM has had auto headlights (or Twilight Sentinel) in every car (even the cheap ones) since the 90s. When will the others ever catch up? This feature should be STANDARD in every model of every manufacturer.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
lingohocken the tech who did your install was an idiot. I did auto alarms years ago, and you ALWAYS shut off lites, heaters etc, if you had to work with key ON, for more than a few minutes. It's AUTO 101.
Amen to that. :thumb: Thankfully, with Bluetooth, OnStar and the like there's no longer any need to hard-wire vehicles for hands-off no-earphones cellphone operation.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Has anyone noticed that the auto lights come on much later while driving when it's getting dark, than other vehicles? Is this to prolong the life of the HID's? Most all the other cars on the freeway last night had their tail lights on, before ours switched on. Seems it needs to be darker for the sensor to trigger the auto lights, then in our past GM's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
chazcron said:
Is it just me, or can you NOT dim the instrument panel in the daytime? I drove it today, and found that the default and ONLY setting for the instrument panel is on FULL high. Not user modifiable, twirling the dimmer had no effect in the daytime. It is annoyingly bright to me and is inconceivable that the driver cannot adjust this during the day. At first I called the dealer and he was telling me it was a fault and should be brought in, but I had a feeling he was wrong. Sure enough, when I pulled into that same garage, the headlights magically came on, and I magically regained control of the panel dimmer.

Not to worry, I love this car, but am I wrong about this? Are these "features" really well thought out? I am really frustrated by this.
Friends, let us now consult the book of Buick, Owner Manual version. Please turn to Chapter Three, Verse 14 - Instrument Panel Brightness. "The knob with this symbol on it is located next to the exterior lamps control to the left of the steering wheel. Push the knob in all the way until it extends out and then turn the knob clockwise or counterclockwise to brighten or dim the lights. Push the knob back in when finished." It sounds, however, as though you were already aware of this.

If that does not provide the illumination [1] you seek, let us now refer to Chapter Three, Verse 16 - Parade Dimming. "Parade mode automatically prohibits the dimming of the instrument panel displays during the daylight while the headlights are on so that the displays are still able to be seen."

So speaketh Buick, son of GM. Let us now pray (that this is the worst problem you ever have with your Enclave. ;))

Rick

[1] Sorry

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
kidsenclave said:
Has anyone noticed that the auto lights come on much later while driving when it's getting dark, than other vehicles? Is this to prolong the life of the HID's? Most all the other cars on the freeway last night had their tail lights on, before ours switched on. Seems it needs to be darker for the sensor to trigger the auto lights, then in our past GM's.
I noticed this last night as well. We had started back from London around 8pm (it was still daylight) and as dusk hit most other cars on the highway had the full headlights on but the Enclave didn't turn on till a bit later.

My wife had also noticed this the other day. When we were returning separately from the GM dealership she asked if the E had auto headlamps because the lights on here Mazda came on but she had noticed the lights on the E did not.

Not sure if it's to prolong the life of the HID's but my wife's Mazda also has factory HID's and they come on as noted above.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
I have also noticed that the HID's aren't on as early as most other cars when relying on the the automatic system, too. It hasn't been a problem from my perspective, though. What I have noticed that I would imagine would be more annoying to many Mercedes drivers is that they are sometimes driving cars at night without any headlights, which suggests that their cars do not even have automatic headlights, or at least it is not a standard feature. :eek:

·
Registered
83 Posts
First couple of days I also thought the alway bright instruments would be kind of annoying but I got used to it soonest.
Only problem I have with the automatic headlights is while driving through tunnels.
In our area we have a tunnel of about 1/2 mls and its mandatory in Germany to switch the headlights on in tunnels ( even though they are very well lit)
the automatic seems to have a delay and if I don t switch on manual, the headlights go on just a few meters before the tunnel ends, then they stay on for another minute or so even in bright daylight

Probably that delay feature is programmed and in many cases it might be good. Has anybody heard about a possibility to change the delay time?

Also I am still trying to get the " flash to pass " function which is a safety feature that we need on our roads. Most likely I will have to install a separate light for this function.

·
Registered
410 Posts
haggibear said:
Also I am still trying to get the " flash to pass " function which is a safety feature that we need on our roads. Most likely I will have to install a separate light for this function.
Likely. Since the enclave uses the HID lamps for the highbeam, and HID take a second or two to turn on, they can not be use for flash to pass.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Seems odd that the headlight assemblies are so big, but they couldn't incorporate a separate light, non-HID, just for flash to pass.  Have it be where the turn signal is now, and the parking light could be the blinker.  I think early photos and/or videos of the concept Enclave had the blinkers in the far outside position, where they are just parking lights now, and had another headlight looking beam where the blinkers are now.  The Acadias have 4 headlight beams, but Enclave only has the one.

EDIT: Here's a link to the gallery page that shows the concept Enclave with 4 headlight beams:
  http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?action=gallery&g2_itemId=30

·
Registered
410 Posts
Given that in the USA, at least around here, every time I use flash-to-pass the #(*$(@#)($ other driver does all he can to stop me from passing him, I wouldn't pay $1 more for flash-to-pass.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Yeah, why is that? It's just a little gesture to get them to move aside, but it's not being rude, why do some have to take it as rude? Actually, since I've had vehicles with daytime running lights, I've had fewer people stay in the left lane, they usually tend to move over, cause they can see the daytime lights coming. Perhaps auto makers feel that flash to pass add to road rage, so they are not that excited in focusing special attention to that detail. :confused:

·
Registered
83 Posts
jbradfor said:
Given that in the USA, at least around here, every time I use flash-to-pass the #(*$(@#)($ other driver does all he can to stop me from passing him, I wouldn't pay $1 more for flash-to-pass.
Well, the english term " flash to pass" is maybe a bit missleading for the way we use the light. We don t really have to flash to pass by law. Here are two examples were I would like to have the light -
I am driving on the left lane of our mostly only 2 lane autobahn and ahead I see a truck that is maybe trying to pass another really slow truck - by flashing the light just once I show him that I have seen what he needs to do so he can go savely

- I am driving in a narrow neighbourhood road with cars parked everywhere and see another car coming towards me - by exchanging light signals we clear the situation who can go first

and of course some drivers ( mostly Porsche or BMW ) use the flash to pass to try to chase slower cars out of the way on the left autobahn lane

luckily we don t have to that, right? knowing about the powerful 288HP I take my time and funnily enough - even by driving conservatively sometimes other cars just make space when they see the E coming,

does our front end look that scary...

·
Registered
83 Posts
jbradfor said:
Likely. Since the enclave uses the HID lamps for the highbeam, and HID take a second or two to turn on, they can not be use for flash to pass.
That s what I was told before. I talked to my neighbour who drives an Audi TT and he also has high and low beam in HID as in every german car he has the flash to pass function. Guess there are several systems for the HID on the market.
Nevertheless I will not try to chnage the function but install an extra light once I have found the best spot and light ( probably it will be LED )

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
haggibear said:
Well, the english term " flash to pass" is maybe a bit missleading for the way we use the light. We don t really have to flash to pass by law. Here are two examples were I would like to have the light -
I am driving on the left lane of our mostly only 2 lane autobahn and ahead I see a truck that is maybe trying to pass another really slow truck - by flashing the light just once I show him that I have seen what he needs to do so he can go savely

- I am driving in a narrow neighbourhood road with cars parked everywhere and see another car coming towards me - by exchanging light signals we clear the situation who can go first

and of course some drivers ( mostly Porsche or BMW ) use the flash to pass to try to chase slower cars out of the way on the left autobahn lane

luckily we don t have to that, right? knowing about the powerful 288HP I take my time and funnily enough - even by driving conservatively sometimes other cars just make space when they see the E coming,

does our front end look that scary...
Maybe the other drivers are intimidated by the large size of the Enclave since, correct me if I am wrong, there aren't too many large vehicles on the European roads. Or, maybe they want you to pass them so they can get a better look at your Enclave as you drive by since they probably have never seen one on the road before.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts