EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this service performed by my dealer at 111k miles. Looks like something a DYI'er could do, but a auto lift would make it much easier. That said, I'll probably get this service done at the 200k mark. Note: The Differential and Rear Transfer Case should be only applicable to the AWD vehicles. Anyone attempted this at home or taken it to their mechanic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpJH60qTV5c

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Re: Differential and Rear Transfer Case Fluid Change

Dont have the AWD on my Traverse...

But I know some Lambda owners on here have/had Trailblazers/Envoys.

I did the differential in my 2003 Trailblazer around 100,000.
Did not lift it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

rbarrios said:
Dont have the AWD on my Traverse...
Did you service the differential on you FWD Traverse?

·
Registered
6,862 Posts

dzs3fz said:
Did you service the differential on you FWD Traverse?
you mean the sideways transmission?

the filter is not serviceable (unless you split it open).
but Ive done trans fluid drains and refills at these mileage points.

These are the intervals Ive done it on that vehicle.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

rbarrios said:
you mean the sideways transmission?

the filter is not serviceable (unless you split it open).
but Ive done trans fluid drains and refills at these mileage points.

These are the intervals Ive done it on that vehicle.
OK...I'm confused and probably wrong. I have an AWD so it has a Transmission, Differential and Rear Transfer Case all of which requiring servicing. I was sure the FWD did not have any rear transfer case but I guess now that there is no differential either.....only a transmission. Is this correct?

·
Registered
6,862 Posts

correct.
only a transmission up front.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any AWD owners care to respond?

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
maybe the Acadia forum would have more response?

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I hate to say it, but..... In the almost 3 years that I have had my 08 CXL AWD, I don't think the differential/rear transfer case fluid has been changed. This after 40K miles of driving. Just check my service records. It says "rear service performed". Funny, I never felt anything.... :bootyshake:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very little is written about the lubrication schedule in the 2008 Owners Manual for the Differential or Rear Transfer Case. I did notice that the 2015 maintenance schedule calls for changing the fluid on the Transmission and Transfer Case every 45k miles. This seems to be a little talked about maintenance item.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2008 Enclave AWD is now approaching 100,000 miles. In the past week, I've begun to hear a whine coming from under the vehicle whenever I'm coasting, (foot off of gas and break) the sound is proportional to the speed. As soon as I am back on the gas, the sound goes away. I'm wondering if this is related to needing to change the fluids in transfer case and differential. The fluids have never been changed. Nothing specific in the owners manual that I can find, and never received an advisory from the On-Star report on vehicle condition and scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
maybe it needs some lube somewhere inside the torque tube.

·
Registered
3 Posts
dzs3fz said:
Any AWD owners care to respond?
In addition to the transaxle which is common between the FWD and AWD models, the AWD also has a transfer case and a rear differential (including a clutch mechanism).

The transaxle takes ATF, whilst the transfer case and rear diff take 75W90 gear oil.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
davenay67 said:
In addition to the transaxle which is common between the FWD and AWD models, the AWD also has a transfer case and a rear differential (including a clutch mechanism).

The transaxle takes ATF, whilst the transfer case and rear diff take 75W90 gear oil.
Great info, davenay67! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Am confused :confused: What is the difference in terms of parts...
Transfer case, where is this? Is it part of the transmission?
Differential - is this the same as the transaxle?
Transaxle
???

What is where? Or is transaxle the same as differential

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cfedor said:
Am confused :confused: What is the difference in terms of parts...
Transfer case, where is this? Is it part of the transmission?
Differential - is this the same as the transaxle?
Transaxle
???

What is where? Or is transaxle the same as differential
The owners manual (page 5-45 & 5-46) refers to the two items as "Transfer Case" & "Rear Drive Module" So... in terms regarding to maintenance, the Transmission, Transfer Case & Rear Drive Module all require periodic fluid changes. The Transfer Case ls connected to the transmission while the Rear Drive Module is located it the rear and connects to the rear axles. I believe they call it a "Rear Drive Module" instead of a "Differential" because it is an All Wheel Drive and may or not be powering the rear wheels based on road conditions. Anyway, this is my interpretations of the systems. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Thanks, dzs3fz.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Reviving an old thread as this thread as A LOT of great info.

After sourcing some Amsoil Severe Gear for almost 2 weeks, I finally was able to get my hands on some! I picked up 2 quarts, and have 2 quarts of Royal Purple - all 4 quarts are 75w90 Gear Oil.

I've read mixed reviews about Royal Purple - mostly good, but Amsoil just had all great reviews, and is preferred by many.

I am still VERY confused about this transaxle, or front diff.... stopped into a dealer the other day, and service advisor (who didn't seem like he knew what he was talking about) said it indeed had a front diff (and wanted $120/ea CAD to change out the 3 = $360).

Calling RB - Was the change you did done to the front diff or the transfer case? Are these 2 things the same? Thanks

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
well, cant really answer your question- because I have a FWD....
no hands on experience with the transfer case on the Lambdas-- except from pictures online.

·
Registered
192 Posts
well, cant really answer your question- because I have a FWD....
no hands on experience with the transfer case on the Lambdas-- except from pictures online.
Just asking then, what fluid/device did you change on your FWD? I'm just trying to understand the different components.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts