EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just asking then, what fluid/device did you change on your FWD? I'm just trying to understand the different components.
DOH..... Sorry RB, I saw your pics, and somehow thought it was your Traverse that you were putting that Amsoil into, and it just dawned on me that it was your Trailblazer - even though it shows the Trailblazers diff in the above pic... my bad!:tard::crazy:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just wanted to write in and say that last weekend I was able to change out both the transfer case and the rear differential fluids without much difficulty.

Started the day off with a regular oil change, and I'm keeping records for my own well being, and wanted to do the transfer case and rear diff at the same time. I drove the Enclave up on some rubber ramps that I have, which worked well. Replaced oil with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, and used a Fram Ultra filter (got a dealership oil change the last time, and removed an ACDelco PF-48e filter - not the right size!)

The transfer case drain nut is SUPER close to the exhaust pipes. I remember rbarrios reporting that one should use a "skinny" ratchet - this is SO VERY true. My 10mm hex was quite long and when attached to my ratchet, it was just too long to fit into the nut to unscrew. As per a great tip I picked up before doing this job, I loosened the FILL nut first, just to ensure that I could refill, and that opened quite easily. Somehow while trying to fit the 10mm into the nut, I was about to give up, and it suddenly went right in! GREAT.... not so... ok so I was able to loosen it now, but I could NOT get the ratchet and socket out! I fought with it for about 10 mins... while under the car, until I eventually pulled it out. After that, I wasn't planning on trying to push the ratchet and socket back in, so instead I pulled out a 10mm gear wrench, and slid the 10mm hex through the fitting, and used the wrench to tighten. This could actually be done to open the nut also, but one would need a long 10mm wrench for leverage.

To change the rear diff... exactly the same, both nuts were easily accessible, and I did the rear diff while it was parked on level ground without having to lift or anything. Both nuts were super tight, but I managed to get them off.

I replaced the transfer case with Royal Purple 75W-90, and it took pretty much the entire bottle - 946mL.

I replaced the rear diff with Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90, and it took approx 800mL, there was just a bit left over in the bottle when done. This was a bit confusing to me, not sure why the transfer case took a full bottle, but rear diff didn't - not sure if it had anything to do with the truck being up on ramps when filling the transfer case.

Use a simple hand pump (similar to the pittsburg pumps seen in other posts). Pump came with 2 long tubes, so had the wife sit beside, while I held the fill tube in the hole, and she pumped away. Although the smell of sulfur is very much present, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Transfer case fluid still had a bit of a golden look to it when it came out, but after putting it into a clear bottle, it was still very dark. I didn't get to verify/look at the rear diff fluid as I didn't have any other clear bottles to put it in, and it was getting late, so I just poured it into the same jug as the used oil.

This is a VERY do-able DIY job. The only true difficulty I had was removing the drain nut on the transfer case. My TIP in case you don't have a short ratchet or short hex socket, try and put the 10mm fitting THROUGH a 10mm wrench head, and then use the wrench to turn. Not sure if this will give enough leverage, but its something to keep in mind in case you can't fit the socket in due to the exhaust pipe.

Thanks to all the posts on here which allowed me to tackle yet another project that I may otherwise have ignored, or paid an outrageous fee to the dealer to do.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Does anyone have an actual picture of the FILL plug location of the transfer case? I can easily locate the drain plug but not the fill plug.
Uncle Buick, Thank you for this HELPFULL tip. Why didn't I think of it???
try and put the 10mm fitting THROUGH a 10mm wrench head, instead of an actual ratchet, and then use the wrench to turn.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Does anyone have an actual picture of the FILL plug location of the transfer case? I can easily locate the drain plug but not the fill plug.
Uncle Buick, Thank you for this HELPFULL tip. Why didn't I think of it???
try and put the 10mm fitting THROUGH a 10mm wrench head, instead of an actual ratchet, and then use the wrench to turn.
Did an oil change, and transmission drain & refill today... tried to get some shots of the fill plug for you cfedor, but its a bit hard to get a decent shot while under the vehicle (not much room, and hard to see the screen when shooting the pic - I have no idea how rbarrios gets such amazing shots?!)

I slid under the vehicle from the front, so with my feet sticking towards the front, once you locate the drain plug - the FILL plug is directly above the drain, and a bit forward... its somewhat blocked by the metal bracket/bar with the large holes... Look for the SAME type of plug, with the same hex fitting head.

Auto part
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
This what I have seen in others' pictures and there is a metal shield along the side of the front transfer case. I still haven't had time to change it. But, I haven't had any issues, either(aside from the temp, fuel and voltage dash gauge lights going out) - knock on wood!

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
The pictures don't work anymore on this site - at least for me anyways. I can't click on your attached image cfedor, I can't even click on MY pics as it says FORBIDDEN... ?? I don't know how to attach pictures in a full size view like others do?

If you do attempt to tackle the transfer case, just look up from the drain plug and you should see the fill plug - but it may be filled with crud and the hex hole may be filled with dirt. If you want the pic, PM me with your email, and I'll email it to you!

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
The pictures don't work anymore on this site - at least for me anyways. I can't click on your attached image cfedor, I can't even click on MY pics as it says FORBIDDEN... ?? I don't know how to attach pictures in a full size view like others do?

If you do attempt to tackle the transfer case, just look up from the drain plug and you should see the fill plug - but it may be filled with crud and the hex hole may be filled with dirt. If you want the pic, PM me with your email, and I'll email it to you!
Thanks, Uncle! :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
2011 Enclave transfer case fill

Hello, been trying to find the location of the fill/drain on my Enclave, 2011. I replaced the CV joints and lost some fluid. Looking I could not find a fill or drain to replace fluid in this housing. It was rather dark in color and figure it has to be the differential since the axles went into it. Can you tell me where they are located. Thanks Rusty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reviving an old thread as this thread as A LOT of great info.

After sourcing some Amsoil Severe Gear for almost 2 weeks, I finally was able to get my hands on some! I picked up 2 quarts, and have 2 quarts of Royal Purple - all 4 quarts are 75w90 Gear Oil.

I've read mixed reviews about Royal Purple - mostly good, but Amsoil just had all great reviews, and is preferred by many.

I am still VERY confused about this transaxle, or front diff.... stopped into a dealer the other day, and service advisor (who didn't seem like he knew what he was talking about) said it indeed had a front diff (and wanted $120/ea CAD to change out the 3 = $360).

Calling RB - Was the change you did done to the front diff or the transfer case? Are these 2 things the same? Thanks
No they are not the same, awd have a transfer case and a front and rear differential

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
21 - 30 of 30 Posts