EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010. How do I know that the AWD works? This is my 1st vehicle with AWD and I'd like to make sure it's working (2nd owner w/165k miles) before I get on too many icy/snowy roads this winter. I drove home (50 miles) the other night and it was right at 32* with partially wet roads. It "seemed" pretty stable (no cruise but I kept it around 65) so either the AWD was working and was seamlessly activating when necessary or it didn't work because either I didn't need it or.... Anyway, you get what I'm asking.

How do I know if it's functional and exactly how does it work?

·
Registered
406 Posts
When the roads are wet floor it from a dead stop. Do the front wheels spin and the traction control come on to stop them? Then you don't have AWD. Does the truck leap forward with no drama? Then you have AWD.

I'm sure you could jack it up at all 4 corners and actually watch the rear wheels turn but this is way less work and more fun.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Has anyone found a good technical explanation of the AWD system on the Enclave? I searched the web and the lambda forums but only find some YouTube's with generic talk and sketches.
BruceB

·
Registered
406 Posts
Every Enclave prior to the higher end 2018's is just a FWD car with a small transfer case that can send power to the rear wheels when the front wheels start to spin. The rear diff is an open diff so if one wheel has traction and the other doesn't the one wheel will just spin. It's a pretty basic AWD system and nothing like the systems from Audi or Subaru that can better send power to the individual wheel that has traction. Buick is finally offering a real twin clutch system but I think it's only on Premium and Avenir trim models.

All that said the basic system works quite well for your typical snowy road conditions where all 4 wheels have a similar lack of traction.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
When the roads are wet floor it from a dead stop. Do the front wheels spin and the traction control come on to stop them? Then you don't have AWD. Does the truck leap forward with no drama? Then you have AWD.

I'm sure you could jack it up at all 4 corners and actually watch the rear wheels turn but this is way less work and more fun.
Exactly. After having 5 AWD vehicles, I wouldn't be able to go back to FWD. I'd end up spinning the front wheels when starting from a light on slick roads every time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
GoldEnclave
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing