EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all the advice on the oil -- everything in that department seemed to go well...

BUT -- I stupid ROCK hit our windshield on the 5 fwy -- sounded like a boulder -- I'm surprised the whole window didn't shatter!! So, now I have a rock hole (is that an actual term???) on the lower middle of my windshield :-[

Question -- do I have to replace the ENTIRE windshield???? Is there a way to fix it - and if so, with the special glass - how hard or how expensive is that going to be???

Thanks again for all your advice and help - you guys are invaluable!

Lisa

·
Registered
758 Posts
Call your insurance right away, since the hole/crack might get bigger with time. They have a way to fix it without replacing the windshield and usually guarantee the results. This is covered under comprehensive usually WITHOUT the usual deductible.

TM

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TM!! Just called my insurance agent -- they are calling me back.

Lisa

·
Registered
48 Posts
The hole will only get bigger, at least in my experience. I just had a windshield replaced on a car that started out with a small nick and grew into a long 18" crack. Cost $175 total to replace the windshield. It was a Chevy Impala.

·
Registered
525 Posts
After talking to your insurance people have a reputable auto glass tech look at it. They will know what to do.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, all taken care of...$250 deductable and a new windshield....My main concern was that it was replaced with the EXACT type of glass that was previously on there, which is what is happening....Insurance won't go up either, as it is under comprehensive. I could have had it "patched/repaired" for about $100, but would rather just make sure it is as good as new.

Thanks everyone!!

Lisa

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Enclave has special laminated glass as part of the quiet-tune scenario. Is the vehicle noticeably louder with presumably non-laminated glass?

·
Registered
525 Posts
gavine said:
The Enclave has special laminated glass as part of the quiet-tune scenario. Is the vehicle noticeably louder with presumably non-laminated glass?
Why would you presume the replacement glass is non-laminated? Just curious.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the replacement glass is the laminated, with uva protection, sound resistance, etc...they read the description of the glass they are using to me -- because the vehicle is so new, there is not much of a choice, other than that put out by Buick for the Enclave -- woo hoo!

Kusa

·
Registered
389 Posts
All windshield glass is laminated.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Gee, my insurance didn't charge the deductible. Presumably just for glass and for using their approved glass people.
I had to have the windshield replaced due to the crack getting too big before I had it repaired.

TM

·
Registered
134 Posts
We have always paid a small surcharge on our auto insurance for "full glass coverage". Any glass is replaced with no deductible. The cost is very reasonable, and if you have damaged glass ... no problem! ;D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Lamination itself does not make glass quieter. All windshield glass, for as long as I can remember, is laminated. Side windows used to be laminated, but most are no longer.

So replacement windshield glass would also be laminated.

Something special is done with the Enclave which prevents the heads up displays from working; that is part of the sound control system and (I didn't watch the video) is probably a layer of lamination. But I don't think the DOT even allows non-laminated glass to be installed in a windshield.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts